Hunter Class (H or VH)

Jerry Reisdorff

I am going to build a new Rifle - either in 30 X 47 Laupa or 30BR - and I am not sure which way to go. I have both reamers but am wondering which would let me learn how to shoot this class better (easier).

Rifle will be based on
Alpine Action
Rock Creek 16 T hunter Barrel
Edge Hunter Stock
Jewel Trigger
Lup 6X Scope

Any Suggestion / Recomendation ?

Thanks Jerry :)

My new one

is a 30 BR and I would recommend that you make one of those. There are a number of reasons for doing so and the two 6 power classes are combined for SOY points. There seems to be more shooters in the Mid Atlantic states going to the 30 BR and Varmint Hunter so the competition will be there if that is an issue for you. For me the issue is having the highest 6 power score of the day, regardless which class I shoot in. If you don't like the 30 BR :rolleyes: you can then make it into a 30-47. Nothing wrong with a 1-16 barrel either. When we first started shooting 30 BR's in Maine everyone was using 14 and 15 twist barrels. You might consider throating the chamber for the 125g 1.080 jacketed bullets. Some think there is an EDGE there.

I vote for....

I am going to build a new Rifle - either in 30 X 47 Laupa or 30BR - and I am not sure which way to go. I have both reamers but am wondering which would let me learn how to shoot this class better (easier).

Rifle will be based on
Alpine Action
Rock Creek 16 T hunter Barrel
Edge Hunter Stock
Jewel Trigger
Lup 6X Scope

Any Suggestion / Recomendation ?

Thanks Jerry :)

The 30/47 which is legal both in IBS and NBRSA competition.

Good luck in either case,
Virg

Most shooters...

How about recoil difference between the two?

Most shooters of the 30BR use the lighter 30 cal bullets (112,118) thus the lighter recoil. The same energy is required to push a certain weight bullet at the desired velocity at or close to the 3000fps range.

virg

might want to look at the 30 rch(30 grendel),i have one sid goodling put together in a vh gun,it runs a 112 bib at 2750 with very little recoil & is DEADLY accurate,gonna be my go to gun for this season

might want to look at the 30 rch(30 grendel),i have one sid goodling put together in a vh gun,it runs a 112 bib at 2750 with very little recoil & is DEADLY accurate,gonna be my go to gun for this season

How do you make a Grendel legal for HBR?

The case must be "30-30 capacity or more" which means quite simply that the 30X47L case is the only one mentioned which can work here......or is the Grendel something else?

Jerry and Pete, the mention of a 6X scope perty much indicates that you're talking HBR doesn't it???? You can't legally shoot a 30BR for this. Or is their some "new" bastard 6X class which allows BR's???

??

I'm confused.... :eek:

al

you're thinking hunter class,there are 2 6 power classes,varmint hunter is the same except for lesser case capacity less ,that's where the grendel & the 30 br fall in to,you can shoot a hunter in both classes but not the varmint hunter

Eating Recoil

Most shooters of the 30BR use the lighter 30 cal bullets (112,118) thus the lighter recoil. The same energy is required to push a certain weight bullet at the desired velocity at or close to the 3000fps range.

virg

I use to be wicked recoil shy. I use to flinch while shooting Skeet because of it. Some years after I began shooting Benchrest I purchased a full 308 BAT from Eric Stanton. It has a thin polished aluminum but plate on it. It took me most of a year but after a time, I learned to Love the Bomb, as Slim Pickins did. Now, I remember how much that rifle recoils and I know from shooting the other HBR rifles I have the recoil from a 30 BR is somewhat less than that of HBR legal chamberings. Yes, 125 bullets kick more but if they would win a person some matches it would be worf the little extrey recoil, to me anyway. As with the 308, it's an acquired taste. As they say in Rugby, it takes leather balls to play the game.

I had a conversation with a fellow in the Northwest who had one of those Spring recoil absorber deals installed in his HBR rifle. If a person is not able to deal with a bit of recoil, for whatever reason, there is always a way to practically eliminate it but I feel the same way about recoil as I do distractions. If a person is paying attention to what they are looking at down range, they should NEVER feel the recoil or be distracted by anything.

Last edited:
you're thinking hunter class,there are 2 6 power classes,varmint hunter is the same except for lesser case capacity less ,that's where the grendel & the 30 br fall in to,you can shoot a hunter in both classes but not the varmint hunter

so there IS a new bastard class, alongside VFS there's now "VH"....

Steenkin 30BR :mad:

al

Not New:

so there IS a new bastard class, alongside VFS there's now "VH"....

Steenkin 30BR :mad:

al

Varmint Hunter has been around all the years I have been shooting. Some folks shot 6PPC's still and do pretty well. The PPC's struggle to keep up with the 30 BR now-a-day though. I still have the first BR rifle I bought which is a 700 Rem HBR rifle which has a 30 BR barrel on it just now; I got to get that out again - - - - -! ;)

Varmint Hunter has been around all the years I have been shooting. Some folks shot 6PPC's still and do pretty well. The PPC's struggle to keep up with the 30 BR now-a-day though. I still have the first BR rifle I bought which is a 700 Rem HBR rifle which has a 30 BR barrel on it just now; I got to get that out again - - - - -! ;)

But Varmint Hunter (or Varmint For Score) allows large scopes no? Out here HBR has been a pure discipline for 40-some yrs. 6X and 30-30 capacity. So are you saying that you've got class which allows any case capacity but still calls for 6X?

al

Al;
Varmint Hunter is a 10#, 6X,2 1/4" class and has been for a long while.

Mike Swartz

But Varmint Hunter (or Varmint For Score) allows large scopes no? Out here HBR has been a pure discipline for 40-some yrs. 6X and 30-30 capacity. So are you saying that you've got class which allows any case capacity but still calls for 6X?

al

Al,
In IBS Score, there is VFS with a LV and HV class and a 6 power class with VH and Hunter. VFS is 3" stock, any power scope, and any cartridge up to 40 caliber. In the 6 power class, it is 2.25" stock, 10 lbs., and 6 power scope. VH is under 45 grains of water (30BR, 30 RCH/Grendel, 6PPC) and Hunter is 45 grains of water and above. Don't even ask why the Hunter is allowed to shoot in the VH class and the VH cannot shoot in the Hunter class:eek::cool:.

Recoil is like messing with a fat chick...jes' something you gotta get used to...:D

David

Yes in IBS there are two classes of hunter guns. The only question is which will be better learn with... and I am leaning to the 30BR with the 125gn bullets.

Youi gotta get out more Al

How do you make a Grendel legal for HBR?

The case must be "30-30 capacity or more" which means quite simply that the 30X47L case is the only one mentioned which can work here......or is the Grendel something else?

Jerry and Pete, the mention of a 6X scope perty much indicates that you're talking HBR doesn't it???? You can't legally shoot a 30BR for this. Or is their some "new" bastard 6X class which allows BR's???

??

I'm confused.... :eek:

al

Over here in the East there is an org called IBS. IBS has a 6 x class called Varmint Hunter which allows ANY case to be used in the rifle.

Jerry; If you're ever going to shoot NBRSA Hunter tournaments, go with the 30X47 Lapua. The 30BR comes up short (by about 5 gr. of water) for the NBRSA case capacity rule.

If you're going to compete exclusively in IBS tournaments, I'd opt for the 30BR and call it a Varmint Hunter gun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

alinwa: The only difference between an IBS Varmint Hunter and Hunter gun is that there is no case capacity rule in Varmint Hunter. Once upon a time, the Varmint Hunter class was there for those that wanted to enjoy the challenge of BR with a 6X scope..but didn't want to deal with the nudge from a .30. Most of these guns were 6PPC's with the occasional 6BR. As the .30's developed and the 30BR came into it's own, 30BR's started showing up in Varmint Hunter class...effectively sealing the fate of anyone toting a non .30 cal. in that class.

So now what we have in the IBS is two 6 Power classes (Varmint Hunter and Hunter) that have become exclusively .30 cal. classes with the only difference being the case capacity rule. Seems like the common sense thing to do would be to drop the case capacity rule in IBS and simply have one 6 Power class. This would smooth the road for those wanting to shoot a 6X gun...easy brass, no case shortening, known reamers, etc, etc.

Fot those of us lucky enough to be able to shoot both IBS and NBRSA events, choosing a 30BR would mean we'd need another barrel/chambering for the NBRSA events....or we can just shoot the bigger capacity case in everything.

The NBRSA Hunter shooters could vote to drop the case capacity rule and encourage further partcipation in the class by allowing the 30BR, 30PPC, 30Grendel, etc, etc.

Life would be sweet in the 6 Power game, then. :)

Ya gotta sift

Yes in IBS there are two classes of hunter guns. The only question is which will be better learn with... and I am leaning to the 30BR with the 125gn bullets.

out what you think is the right thing to do. Some of us have been around a long time and have developed our own ideas of what might be appropriate. I have shot and continue to shoot 125g bullets in all my 30's without any concerns or trepidation. You can't hardly tell the difference between the recoil of a 115g bullet and a 125 so what the heck are we talking about here? We are talking about 5 grains. Look at 5 grains of anything and tell me , oh well, never mind. Like David said about the Fat Chicks - - - .

A short 30 chambered rifle will be easier to learn with. I believe I can say that without any doubt. It doesn't matter what grain bullet you use in it or if it's a BR or any of the other variants. The bullet weight don't matter one whit. Use whatever you believe in. They all work and all win matches.

Something to consider; 2950 FPS is 2950 FPS regardless of how much powder one has to burn to get there. Being able to do it with 34g of powder vs 39 or 40 seems to make some sort of sense, eh?

Last edited:
I got it all sorted out now. I just hadn't realized that the IBS guys had allowed themselves to get so intimately fractured. I just went over nd read the rule books again.

For short-range options in my mind there's GROUP (PPC's with huge scopes chasing one bullet hole) and there's SCORE (Big ol' thurties and 6X aiming for center... a MAN'S game ;) ) and then there's "VFS" which is a "fun class" where the group guys can shoot at score targets using the super-dooper scopes.

Guess out east it's become more of a "something for everyone" deal. So is there a HOF for the 30BR sports?

BTW, my shortened .308's and my 30x47L's will BOTH make 3250 with ease :D and beatcha' down just a liddle each round..... I guess I thought that was part and parcel of GROUP shooting. :p

I'm just whining here because I finally got a GROUP gun set up and the nearest shoots I can find listed are clear over in Idaho ..... (Which out here means "a long ways away," like driving to the Caroliners from Maine....) Or I can go halfway around the world to the midwest. That's DAYS' drive....

LOL

BTW..... where can I find a listing of "Hunter" type shooting out here? Shore cain't get no satisfaction off the NBRSA website!

al

Back