HS Precision stock Modification

P

Percival

A friend of mine recently purchased a Remington 700P in .308. He wants to make the comb adjustable, and I'm curious as to stock composition and ease of modification with the materials it is made of. He posted on another site and has not received any feedback yet.
:confused: Anyone have any info on modifying a stock HS Precision stock to make the comb adjustable? Is it as simple as with a wood stock, drilling holes, cutting the stock and installing two rods with set screws bushed into the side? Or is there additional reinforcement necessary? Any and all information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Percival

Have him do a search for a Karsten adjustable cheek piece. They are well made, about $60 and Karsten Hansen is a nice guy.

I believe the interior is foam or carbon and as such would not give much of a base for installing any kind of hardware for a cheek adjuster. I have done it but it took a lot of epoxy and sweat to make a stable platform.

The HS stock is a little different than most the other synthetic stocks. Where the McMillan uses a very rigid shell with differing densities of fill, the HS gets most of it's strength from the aluminum block that runs from the forend to the grip and has a thin shell that appears to be of the same material as the fill. The fill itself looks like a mixture of sawdust, fibers and resin, although I'm sure it's more high tech than that. Outside the area containing the aluminum block, I would rate the strength well below the McMillan. I would be cautious in trying to attach hardware in the comb area. You might need to remove some material and replace it with glass cloth and resin to achieve the strength you need.

Thanks a bunch guys, that's what I was after. That looks like the easiest way to go, simple to install and ok looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing Butt Pad From HS Precision Stock

Have read all kinds of crazy things on the 'Net [imagine that!] in a search to discover how to properly remove the buttpad from HS Precision stocks. Called the company today and the gentleman was very helpful. He said protect the part of the stock adjoining the pad with masking tape or similar material, slowly and accurately scribe a line in the thin area between the pad and the stock [this is a glue joint] with a razor blade or sharp X-acto knife, then gently apply heat using a hair dryer or heat gun [be careful, a little too much is way too much heat] and gingerly separate the pad from the stock working a bit at a time around the circumference of the butt. He said it doesn't take a flamethrower just some caution and care. The question arose because i have an M24 unit coming tomorrow from Stockys delivered by our favorite guy, Santa Claus in the big brown truck and i might want to replace the pad with something which might provide a little better recoil reduction while adjusting LOP to fit me correctly. This is for an "inexpensive" tactical. 308 build where the budget is quickly swelling. It's a Rem 700 SPS, 20" light varmint profile bbs w the threaded muzzle for a brake. It comes w a thread protection when not using the muzzle device. The factory stock is probably adequate for non precision or possibly hunting, its a Hogue, the one w/o the alum bedding block and hence is sproingy and u can induce flyers if you don't observed good bench manners when shooting from a bipod. Out of the box w less than 100 rounds through it with thrown together loads im getting .5-.750 moa 4 shot groups. Only cleaned bbl twice. At first it fouled a lot, but upon second cleaning i could feel the bore smoothing up and also a very nice surprise in that there is a very slight choke near the muzzle which i think tends to aid accuracy though that might not be Gospel for some which is cool. Twist is non std 1:10 but it shoots the Barnes TTSX 140 very well w new [Hornady match brass] and a healthy dose of IMR 4895

So thts about it. If i go tht route, will take some pics [assuming I dont screw it up entirely, lol] and pass them along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never had a problem with the recoil pads coming off HS stocks my biggest problem is ever finding one that will stay on. I just picked up my 375 out of the safe and the buttpad stayed in the floor. I was just thinking the other day how it was the only one ive ever had out of probably a hundred that hasnt fell off yet.

HS stocks have a hollow cavity behind the butt pad similar to but smaller in size to the storage compartment in an AR-15/M16 butt stock.

Warner Tool Co.thumb wheel adjustable cheek piece hardware is easily adaptable & has the option of cast on & cast off.

The cheap TactiKool piece previously mentioned by-
Drilling two holes & slipping two carriage bolts into a piece of plastic is.....FUGLY.

It's not rocket science!

Fugly

HS stocks have a hollow cavity behind the butt pad similar to but smaller in size to the storage compartment in an AR-15/M16 butt stock.

Warner Tool Co.thumb wheel adjustable cheek piece hardware is easily adaptable & has the option of cast on & cast off.

The cheap TactiKool piece previously mentioned by-
Drilling two holes & slipping two carriage bolts into a piece of plastic is.....FUGLY.

It's not rocket science!

If you choose to ignore my friend Dan's advice and go with a wrap over cheek piece, you might look at the Southwest Precision (brand). It is very similar but much less expensive. I have installed several for my customers guns with no complaints, except from Dan.
Yes, Dan I cannot be bought, but I can be rented.
Nat Lambeth

Warner Cheek Adjuster

It is a nice bit of kit. You can always count on Warner to make a KISS product that really works. Keep It Simple Stupid. To make a non KISS product you make mods to have all the stuff that does not work and eventually you have a dogs breakfast of stuff that kind of works, lots of that around. To be truly KISS you need to start fresh every time it does not work with a clean sheet. I have done a bunch of this and it is really a lot of work. I recently removed a McM cheek adjuster from a F-Open stock. It was a jiggly wiggly bit of crap with lock screws to take out the play. I replaced it with remnants I had left over from Robertson Composites, a zillion percent improvement from the shooter point of view. At least I used to be a shooter so I know what the difference is.

HS Stock Composition

The HS stock is a little different than most the other synthetic stocks. Where the McMillan uses a very rigid shell with differing densities of fill, the HS gets most of it's strength from the aluminum block that runs from the forend to the grip and has a thin shell that appears to be of the same material as the fill. The fill itself looks like a mixture of sawdust, fibers and resin, although I'm sure it's more high tech than that. Outside the area containing the aluminum block, I would rate the strength well below the McMillan. I would be cautious in trying to attach hardware in the comb area. You might need to remove some material and replace it with glass cloth and resin to achieve the strength you need.

Have no idea why someone who appears to b unfamiliar w a product would attempt to review or demean it. Perhaps im missing something.

HS Stocks are made of Kevlar, Carbon Fiber and Epoxy. the fill is poly w added fiberglass. the bedding block is simply an aluminum docking area to bind the stock and action into as tight a unit as possible. Fwiw, Ive had all of my HS stocks professionally bedded because many receivers are simply out of round, so stress can be induced where at the block/action interface. Yes, McMillan uses a different process, but imho, that company has a cavalier attitude regarding its customers, though i have heard theyve improved in this area by keeping a much larger inventory. McMillans also need to be glass bedded if u r going to get the best receiver/stock mating. The easiest way to add height to the comb is with a lace up leather pad, which looks nice and is just soft enough to help prevent cheek slap for bigger boomers.

Never been impressed w Bell & Carson.

muley,
IF, you ever inlet/pillared/bedded/shouldered/shot a Robertson Composites stock you would purposely mutilate/cut-up any HS,McM &/or Manners stock to get the aforementioned stocks out of circulation.

Back