How to ship ammo?

W

w5i2n

I used to send ammo all over the US but that has been a while. I have two bricks of Federal .22 ammo to send from California to Maine. The Post office refuses. The UPS said to go to a gun shop. The gun shop said we don't ship only receive. How does all the ammo get delivered to all the places it needs to get? Anybody got a suggestion for me? Mike

Federal Express. I would not even bother to tell them what is in the box.

Brent

the state your in is the main problem, i ship ammo all the time thru the local ups hub, i just simply print a few of the orm labels and put on the container,thats about it, look into fed ex and if that dont work call arnold up and ask him....

bill

The UPS said to go to a gun shop. Mike

Did you go to a UPS hub, or the UPS Store? Not the same. The UPS Stores are a franchise arrangement. They will not ship guns, gun parts, or ammo. The UPS hubs will ship ammo. As others have said just put a few ORM/D labels an the box and you should have no problems.

John

U.S. Mail will not ship ammo or hand guns.
UPS is legal to ship it Ground. They will not fly it. You are supposed to put a label on the outside of the box that says

ORM-D
Cartridges-Small Arms

Occasionally I will get a new UPS driver and he does not want to pick up ammo from me. You just have to stand your ground and ask to speak to a supervisor. If supervisor says no, then ask for their supervisor. .22lr is not HAZ MAT and you can ship it via Ground without any special permits.

The way I understand centerfire, you can ship it ground up to 50 cal. I do not ship much centerfire ammo, so I am not certain. When I first had trouble with my local UPS driver, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with UPS and I was finally able to talk to someone that knew what was going on. They told me up to 50 Cal was OK. I have shipped a great deal of .223 ammo with no trouble, but that is my only experience with centerfire ammo. I do believe shipping powder and primers is considered haz mat, but loaded ammo is not. Ron Hoehn 636-745-8144 would be someone to talk to about centerfire.

Thanks Dan. that is what I thought, but you being an ammo dealer gives you more experience. It is similar to flying with ammunition in baggage. Loaded ammo is fine (up to 5 kilos) and loose powder or primers is definitely NOT fine in any quantity.

Brent

Back