How much runout is acceptable

T

Tom Rose

How much runout is acceptable on sized brass or loaded 6ppc rounds?

Thanks,

Tom :confused:

Tom

Of course, "zero" would be just right. But that isn't going to happen.
I have sat down with my Rail Gun and shot groups with cases that included any where from .001 to .002, and could not tell the difference. I delibertly took a couple, and using the little Bruno rig, knocked two out to .005. one went in the group, the other didn't, by almost a bullet hole.
This is a question that is hard to answer. So we all strive for the best we can get, which in my case is no better than .001, but not much worse than .0015. That is typically what my dies produce.
I have stated this before, I am not a fan of straightenning rounds that run out. Most rigs support the bullet at the tip. I have seen shooters use quite a bit of force in order to get things right.
My question has always been, how do you know that you are not bending the bullet, rather than having the bullet move in the neck. Afterall they are nothing but a thin copper jacket with a pure lead core.
For our purposes, I would feel safe in saying that .002 would be the upper limit.......jackie

Neck runout.

I will make it simple, i have proven, with the bullet spinner that i manufcture,
that one and a half thousands or under at 100 yards is dificult to see a difference in accuracy however 200yards you better be one half of a thousanth or less or you are loosing accuracy.

Lester

Lester...

I will make it simple, i have proven, with the bullet spinner that i manufcture,
that one and a half thousands or under at 100 yards is dificult to see a difference in accuracy however 200yards you better be one half of a thousanth or less or you are loosing accuracy.

Lester

What sorting of seating depth relative to the hard jam was used to come to this conclusion?

Thanks....

Back