How does powder burn?

A

alpacca45

This is a much more complicated question than it at first sounds.

I understand combustion and detonation well enough, and better than most blasting textbooks I've come across, but I don't understand the surface processes and heat transfer mechanisms operating as smokeless powder deflagrates (burns in a cartridge).

Can anyone suggest some background reading please?

Many thanks

How does powder burn

It doesn't all burn in the case as you know.
It burns progressive in the barrel to some degree
The Speer nine reloading touched on this and shows a lot of different powders . It also tells how powders are made , thee differance between ball powders . single base powders. and double base powders. Is this what your looking for.
Any other information should be asked from RON Reiber at HODGDON powder company.
Ron is the test Engineer Great guy too'

I've really forgotten where I.............

read most of that. I do remember the info contained one little nugget: "There is never any detonation, If you have detonation, you no longer have a firearm...." :eek: I think even primers are classed as a rapid conflagration. Also, during the burning the heat causes pressure which increases the burning, which causes more H&P which speeds the burning, which....well, you get the picture. Perhaps I read it in the Sierra manual, I know it wasn't a chemistry textbook. ;):D

Internal ballistics is very variable. The powder situataion for a 22 rimfire short is going to be quite different to what happens in a 50 cal Browning from a total scenario view point.
The chemical combustion process may be similar for all powders but there is more going on than just that and it varies from one case capacity to another.
A very small amount of fast burning powder may be totaly used up as the bullet enters the bore and even though the gass is still expanding no more powder may be left to burn further up the barrel.
However in a longer cases filled with slower burning powders the bullet will be pushed into the bore by a column of unburnt powder and the powder will continue to burn and produce ever expanding gass volume . Possibly all the way up the barrel.
An excessive big long muzzel flash can indicate excess powder still burning late in the bullets travel up the bore and out the muzzel.

Detonation?

read most of that. I do remember the info contained one little nugget: "There is never any detonation, If you have detonation, you no longer have a firearm...." :eek: I think even primers are classed as a rapid conflagration. Also, during the burning the heat causes pressure which increases the burning, which causes more H&P which speeds the burning, which....well, you get the picture. Perhaps I read it in the Sierra manual, I know it wasn't a chemistry textbook. ;):D

I suspect that progressive powder burning is going to be similiar to the combustion process in an internal combustion engine. Even at very high RPM's, the flame gradually works it's way through the compressed air/fuel charge. If the air/fuel charge were to all ignite instantly (detonation), it is very destructive. I'm sure a high speed camera observing a cut away of a cartridge going off, would have a few surprises.

alpacca45 go to this site www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php and ask your question on the "Ask the gunwriters" forum. There are some very informed people there that if they can`t answer you directly can point you to a source to find your answer.
They just finished a thread on powder burning rate and whether or not it all burns in the barrel, and if so how far down it a week or so ago. Very interesting stuff.

Unlike combustion in an engine there is no mixing of a fuel with air. the burning of
gunpowder is mostly flame propagation on the surface of nitrocellulose from grain to grain while each grain is relatively slowly releasing a lot of energy which was tied up in molecular bonds. The individual atoms reform themselves into different molecules with lower energy states. Slowly is a millisecond or so for typical rifle powders. Smokeless powder will burn nearly the same in a vacuum. The air trapped in the case before firing is incidental. Nitrocellulose is not an exact molecule its similar to many plastics made of chains of related structures of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen. The deflagration of nitrocellulose is roughly:

C24H30(NO2)10O20 → 12C02+ 12C0 +4H20 + 11H2 + 5N2

When it burns at high pressure. all of the products become common gases:
Carbon Dioxide
Carbon Monoxide
Water vapor
Hydrogen
Nitrogen.
Nothing is left to make smoke or which has significant odor.
When it's inefficiently burned a low pressures often some of the carbon is not converted to CO2 or CO and gets left as residue.

Some "smokeless" powders also contain nitroglycerin and various additives or coatings to moderate the burn rate or reduce flash or smoke. The surface area to remaining volume of each grains also modifies the shape of the pressure curve. That's why powders come in ball, flake, stick, perforated forms. Primer strength, case shape, and case fill determine how much of the powder is initially ignited.

Thanks for all of the replies in such a short time. There are some links I'll have to take a look at and I'll shoot a couple of emails off to the tech guys at the powder companies too.

I've found a paper on the subject to get some search terms and some of the formulae from.

http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/groups/reaflow/user/icders99/program/papers/101-150/136.pdf

I've read some of the early texts on smokeless, including English translations of some of Mendeleev's work.

I'm searching around to see how much work would be involved in numerically modelling internal ballistics. I wouldn't expect to be able to calculate exact loads, that would still remain empirical (as it should),

I would hope that with check callibration against pressure measured loads, it could provide a theoretical tool to see what kind of behaviour things like duplex and triplex loads give - without the danger and cost in burst barrels of actually cooking up the real things. - Don't worry, I've been shooting since before I was 10 and I'm middle aged now, I get to manage things like quarry blasts with 30,000 tons of rock getting broken in one go, so I've no desire to get myself killed by a little firework.

Comparing plots of pressure against bullet travel for gun barrels with the idealised indicator diagrams for Otto and Carnot Cycle IC Engines (what is a gun, if not a heat engine) suggests that there may be some tricks for getting more velocity out, within the constraints of safe max pressure and not shearing the joint between a bullet's jacket and core by over accelerating it.

That is the theory anyway, now to see what the maths and physics looks like:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
How does powder burn

I'm not sure what your saying about shearing bullet core jacket.
The bullet can burn up from friction with too much velocity'
IE a thin jacket at about 4,400 fps
I can't see breaking a bond on a jacket to core. the rifleing
swages the jacket tighter to the core. Have an explanation as to your theory?
Any way good luck on your study.
Let us know what you have found out.

Hi Gerry,
Vaughn, in "Rifle Accuracy Facts" did both the shear stress measurements on the bullets and compared those to the rotational acceleration forces as the bullet accelerated down the rifling, then, marked bullet cores with magnets and measured both muzzel velocity and the rate of rotation as they exited the muzzel.

Sure enough, he got some bullets in which the joint did not melt, it failed in shear, and the core failed to spin up to the same speed as the jacket did. The two evened out somewhere beyond the muzzel, but resulting in under stabilization.

Vaughn suggests that that kind of failure is why with certain bullets, accuracy suddenly deteriorates with increasing muzzel velocity.

The book is one of the dozen or so gun books which is actually worth buying if you don't already have it.

I've found a paper on the subject to get some search terms and some of the formulae from.

http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/groups/reaflow/user/icders99/program/papers/101-150/136.pdf

The model in this paper looks inappropriate for normal cartridges, since the reaction wave starts on the wrong end of the porous solid, and the solid is assumed to have zero velocity until the wave passes through it. A more accurate model would have the solid particles accelerating along with the reaction gases. I don't know where to point you for a better model, but please let me know what you find. Have you tried CompendexWeb?

It would also be interesting to find, or develop, a model that includes heat transfer to the barrel. This could potentially explain the temperature sensitivity of powders, and if so, would say that all powders are susceptible, and that the only way to avoid the problem is to keep the barrel at the same temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already analyzed this.

Cheers,
Keith

Hi Keith,

It would also be interesting to find, or develop, a model that includes heat transfer to the barrel. This could potentially explain the temperature sensitivity of powders, and if so, would say that all powders are susceptible, and that the only way to avoid the problem is to keep the barrel at the same temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already analyzed this.
Cheers,
Keith

I don't know the extent of previous study in the subject. I'd be surprised if there hadn't been a lot of military effort put into the problem for artillery use. Unfortunately the young gunnery colonel I used to know, died a few years ago:(, so I can't pick either his brains or those of his contacts.

What follows is guess work, plus I've got a rotten cold at present, so apologies in advance if my thinking is even more off than it usually is.

I'll try to limit my thinking to straight nitro cellulose powder, I've read some suggestions that double base powders may burn the NG content off first, though I'm not deep enough into the subject yet to know if more recent papers still follow that thinking.

The picture I'm starting to build up (and please chip in if I'm getting this completely wrong) is of the reaction front, however thick that might be, progressing by conduction into the powder grains. I’m assuming that there is no melting or boiling at the surface of the grain while it burns. As the pressure of the gas surrounding the powder grain goes up, so does the gas' temperature (though how applicable the ideal gas equations are, I'm not sure), there is also going to be radiant heating from the surrounding grains.

I think those two processes will reduce the amount of heat lost from the reaction front to the surrounding gas, and in effect increase the temperature gradient into the powder grain, speeding the reaction, hence why smokeless burns faster when confined, and why, with overloads, pressures climb disproportionately quickly, as there is a feedback loop operating: the higher pressure goes, the faster the powder burns.

I don’t know whether or not there is a limiting factor, with increasing pressure slowing the escape of gasses from the reaction front and acting to slow the reaction.

I haven't got my head around what is going to happen in the barrel yet. I'm thinking of the burning powder grains in a sort of gas fluidised suspension chasing the bullet up the bore* as they fill the available space, but what scale effects take place, I don't know. On the one hand, you have expansion ratio as a variable, but I think you will also have some sort of "squish" effect analagous to i c engine combustion chambers, where heat loss to the barrel slows or perhaps even quenches burning.

Certainly with rock blasting, there is a limit to column diameter (drill hole diameter for putting the explosive into) for each different explosive, and if you go below that diameter, the detonation front (which travels at the speed of sound in that material, rather than the speed of heat conduction!) loses so much energy to its surroundings that the detonation dies out and you get a partial mis fire. The unfired explosive is left in the hole.

It may be that even minor changes in barrel temperature are enough for a transition to occur between quenched or almost quenched powder in the barrel, and it burning normally, thus giving a sudden jump in pressure.

Like explosives, this will probably be (if I have the process identified it will almost certainly be) scale dependant, a larger cartridge and bore but with otherwise identical expansion ratio, will have a much smaller proportion of cold barrel wall to soak up heat from the burning powder column (it is a square : cube relationship). Thinking about IC engines, I’ve seen old experimental single cylinders in a museum. They were made to explore the upper limit of cylinder size for spark ignition engines for aero engines. As the cylinder gets larger, there is proportionately less wall area to soak up the heat as the mixture is compressed, so they reach a point where the compression ratio has to be decreased to prevent the mixture pre igniting, and also detonating with the spark. I think the theoretical limit for a practical spark ignition engine is about 5K HP, hence ships and trains use diesels, or gas turbines, which just go on getting more efficeint as they get bigger.

Assuming that there is a scale effect operating, we might see some calibres more susceptible than others. Has anyone seen a cut off point, say 6mm and smaller giving trouble with high pressures on hot days but all of the .30 calibres OK? (presumably it will only be the long range guys who’d see this, where a variety of calibres get used).

Just adding in double base powders again for a moment. I don't know at what temperature NG becomes unstable within a powder, and how that changes with pressure. It may be beginning to decompose ahead of firing in a hot chamber, a sort of not quite cook off, so that the reaction front is able to be both deeper and faster. I don't know.

I think I am starting to understand why duplex loads are such a dangerous no no. Even a small amount of a fast burning powder will raise the early pressure and temperature in the case, thus greatly accelerating the burning of the main charge of slower powder, and possibly getting into the runaway feedback loop of dramatically rising pressure.

In the ideal Otto cycle for a heat engine, it is assumed that the working fluid is fully heated instantly when the piston is at top dead centre (before the bullet starts to move). (this is described as constant volume combustion, but this is an ideal which can never be achieved in reality) this means that all of the heat (heat equals pressure equals energy) is there to be expanded through the full piston / bullet travel. any heating / pressure rise after the piston / bullet starts to move, represents heat / pressure that wasn't there to be used from the start.

my current guess for the reason people used duplex loads in the past (eg Elmer Keith and his pals), is that the guys thought they were getting extra performance, when all they were actually getting was the same performance that they would have got by using an overload of a faster powder.

When Diesel began developing his engine, his idea was to compress the air as much as possible, then, knowing that he was already at the strength limit of the engine, the idea was to burn fuel gradually, to maintain that high pressure despite the piston moving away. In the "Diesel" cycle (modern Diesel engines work on the Otto cycle), any drop in that constant pressure before the end of burning represents potentially useable power wasted.

The two most obvious limits in applying any of this to guns are the max pressure, and the limit of acceleration that the bullet will put up with before the jacket and core join shears.

The theoretical ideal graph wit bullet travel along the horizontal axis and pressure increasing up the vertical would show pressure rising to the max before the bullet starts to move (all of the energy to cause that pressure rise would then get to expand (= work) for the full length of the barrel).

Pressure would then continue at that max level after the bullet begins to move, to give the additional energy required for the muzzel velocity you want, and all burning would be completed before that pressure began to drop. After that, the hot gas would expand for the remainder of the bullet's travel in the bore.

Now, how to achieve:confused:
K

*Could this be why cases with steep shoulder angles are popularly supposed to give less throat erosion than those with shallow angles? is part of erosion the impact of powder grains hitting the throat, rather than making their first impact with the case neck? or is that particular claim for steep shoulders an old wives tale? Or worse, me thinking I’ve remembered something that was never actually said?

Here are a couple of references that sound promising. I couldn't immediately get the full text through my library, so they may or may not be useful, but will likely have reference lists at the end that could lead you to what you need.

An investigation of interior ballistics ignition phase
Porterie, B.; Loraud, J.C. Source: Shock Waves, v 4, n 2, 81-93, Sept. 1994

Thermodynamic model of interior ballistics
Tuomainen, Ari (Univ of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland) Source: Acta Polytechnica Scandinavica, Applied Physics Series, n 205, p 2-87, 1996

Cheers,
Keith

Here's another one:

Joglekar AM, Phadke MS & Wu SM. Iterative modeling of interior ballistics of small arms. J Spacecraft 10:7:450-456, 1973.

If you are handy with Matlab, Mathcad, or maybe even Excel, you could program the equations in this paper. It is a simple model that doesn't include heat transfer or friction, but looks like a good place to start.

Cheers,
Keith

You were not clear on why you wanted to know?

Reason for the question is important for formulating a responce.

I can not point you to valuable reading material because I don't think there is much relevant material out there.

Are you wanting to model small arms pressures and velocities or do you want to understand what is really happening.

I think I could help you with building a good empirical model for reconstructing actual performance.

Pressure rise time seems to be a strong factor on variability as burn rate is very pressure dependant and while the time from zero to max press is very short it is the dominant feature for variability. Otherwise seating depth or distance of the lands or magnum vs. standard primers or crimping, or to tight necks would not be an issue.

As to why smokeless powder burn rates are so very pressure dependant, I don't know if it is all chemistry for what, some one else will have to help ther.

Tim

Tim

Pressure rise time seems to be a strong factor on variability as burn rate is very pressure dependant and while the time from zero to max press is very short it is the dominant feature for variability. Otherwise seating depth or distance of the lands or magnum vs. standard primers or crimping, or to tight necks would not be an issue.

I’d like to read more on this. Vaughn says that chamber pressure is not very sensitive to seating depth. ( 1000psi per 30 mil. of free run)

Ken

I’d like to read more on this. Vaughn says that chamber pressure is not very sensitive to seating depth. ( 1000psi per 30 mil. of free run)

Ken

Ken

So to Vaughn that is not very sensitive but to someone who is trying to build an analitical model to predict internal ballistics it is not insignificant either. Again, I can't offer any reading material on this either.

Tim

Back