How do I slick up my Bags= (Bad Title)

V

voldoc02

I shoot a Farley for both VFS and LR IBS 600 yds=
My Bags are draggy and rifles don't slide as good as before=
I used white powdered graphite on the bags but didn't help
much.. I also waxed the stocks.. Don't like the idea of teflon tape on the stocks but may have to.. advice needed
thanks much
Doc Stone

PS- the front bag is compacted very hard now.. is this bad?? read where Speedy said hard bags can
induce vertical..?? Is it fundamental that the rifle slides very easily
for great accuracy??

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Stone ...

I shoot a Farley for both VFS and LR IBS 600 yds. My Bags are draggy and rifles don't slide as good as before. I used white powdered graphite on the bags but didn't help much. I also waxed the stocks. Don't like the idea of teflon tape on the stocks but may have to. advice needed thanks much Doc Stone

PS- The front bag is compacted very hard now.. is this bad?? Very hard? Yes. Read where Speedy said hard bags can induce vertical..?? It can. Is it fundamental that the rifle slides very easily for great accuracy?? Yes! but not too easily. You don't want it recoiling off the front bag.

Teflon Benchrest Stock Tape Sources
Filed under: Competition, Gear Review — Editor @ 12 am 6mmBR.com
Mike Ratigan, author of the definitive print guide to benchrest shooting, Extreme Rifle Accuracy, knows the importance of a smooth-tracking stock. A gun that recoils more consistently is easier to shoot accurately. Reducing friction on the fore-end and toe of your riflestock can help the gun track better in the bags. The easiest way to reduce friction is to apply stock tape. Ratigan says the best stuff he’s tried is clear 3M-brand Teflon® tape. According to Mike it adheres well, lasts a long time, and reduces friction “as well as anything you can buy”. Mike reports “You won’t wear this stuff out–it’s basically a permanent fixture”. The tape is sold by Ron Hoehn, Hoehn Sales, Inc., (636) 745-8144. Ron’s 5-mil thick Teflon tape kit ($7.00) is enough for two rifles, with 5″x5″ sections for the front and 2.5″x6″ panels for the rear.

You can purchase a Teflon stock tape kit from Sinclair Int’l for $12.50. This has four 5″x5″ segments, enough for two rifles. But if you have a large collection of rifles, you’ll save big bucks by buying directly from a bulk tape supplier. C.S. Hyde Company, CSHyde.com, (800) 461-4161, sells 6″-wide, flexible Teflon-coated and UHMW tapes that work great, with either rubber, silicone, or acrylic adhesives. The price works out to about $1 per rifle.
MiKe Ratigan recommends the “Skived” (blade sliced) PTFE Teflon .005″ tape with silicone adhesive, item 15-5S. This is very low-friction and highly conformable, so it bends easily around your stock contours. You’ll need to call for custom 5″ or 6″ widths, and expect to pay about $50 for a 5-yard-long (180″) roll.

A less expensive option is the UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight) Polyethylene Tape with High Stick Acrylic Adhesive, item 19-5A. C.S. Hyde explains: “UHMW Polyethylene provides a nonstick, low-friction surface similar to PTFE tape but with much higher abrasion and puncture resistance. It is ideal for anywhere high-pressure sliding contact occurs.” The price is just $33.96, for a 6″-wide by 5 yard-long roll, enough for 36 rifles! Compare that to spending $12.50 for four 5″x5″ pieces. On Benchrest.com, AbinTX reported that C.S. Hyde “sent [him] samples of various thickness to try out before ordering. They will price a roll for you depending on how wide and how long you want.”

Wash your stock where you plan to put the tape with soap and water. It will remove all dirt and oil but will not harm a well sealed stock. Also, you can apply talcum powder, pure silicon spray, Rain-X or Sinclair's bag wax to your front and rear bags at the same time that you use the stock tape. :)

I have heard it mentioned here that a strip of valcro tape( the fuzzy side) on the bag works. I don't know if there is a question on legality though.

Bob

Bob ...

I have heard it mentioned here that a strip of valcro tape( the fuzzy side) on the bag works. I don't know if there is a question on legality though. Bob

Your referring to the FRONT RESTS article in the February 2010 Precision Shooting magazine that starts on page 81. In it, John W. Lewis describes Wayne Campbell's advice to Joel Kendrick [page 84, third column on the right] on putting an adhesive backed strip of Velcro, fuzzy side up, on the upper surface of his front bag to help relieve vertical problems / elevation changes on the record target. I've tried it. It works, and it also does double duty by making things a little slicker too in conjunction with stock tape already on my forearm. Art :)

Back