Hornady production

J

jaybic

Hello all,

I have no idea how all this works but I have been looking for Vmax bullets everywhere but most folks(Natchezz SS, Cabelas,LockStock, Midway, Midsouth) are all out and have been for some time now. When I called Hornady direct 2 wks ago, the sales rep said they were to start shipping be the end of the week(2 wks ago) but nothing has shown up anywhere.

My question is: If all these retailers are out and have been for some time, where are the bullets going? Did Hornady just stop making bullets or are they just sitting on them? If Hornady is not supplying the main retail outlets, who are they sending their bullets to. Ali's guns shop in downtown kabul?

What gives? I honestly cant figure it out.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Jaybic

Beats me what's happening, but I've been buying their 75 gr HPBT .224 match bullets and having difficulty finding them. For several months all the ones I found including some boxes of 600 (which have a date of manufacture on them) were all the same lot number, and made in June 08. The last couple of boxes of 600 were a new lot and marked made in December 08.

I'm not sure how they make runs of bullets, but they may do a whole bunch of one type of bullet then change over and make another type to build up a backlog. With the high demand for all loading components since before the election it may well be that they're having a hard time keeping up with demand.

Beats me what's happening, but I've been buying their 75 gr HPBT .224 match bullets and having difficulty finding them. For several months all the ones I found including some boxes of 600 (which have a date of manufacture on them) were all the same lot number, and made in June 08. The last couple of boxes of 600 were a new lot and marked made in December 08.

I'm not sure how they make runs of bullets, but they may do a whole bunch of one type of bullet then change over and make another type to build up a backlog. With the high demand for all loading components since before the election it may well be that they're having a hard time keeping up with demand.

Larry, I have five or six hundred of Horn. 75gr.bthp(mch) you can have. 15.00 per box. higdonkentucky@aol.com

what cal,weight V-Maxs are you looking for Jaybic? There is an auction this saturday AM 9:30 in Owatonna that is going to have several thousand VMaxs on the list (5 or 6 K in .224 alone) not sure what other cals are for sale tho. Also the Wells gunshow is this weekend ,the Wolfs Den (in the big gym)usually has a good supply of Hornady bullets along with powder and primers every year.

Last edited:
Vmax

Jaybic I am not having any luck finding bullets either. I bought 3 boxes of Nosler 50G ballistip tips at a price that makes me wish I would have dumped my 401k 2 years ago and Invested it in those items. Roger if jaybic is not in the market for 50g vmax bullets I would buy 1000 of them if you find any.

Hornady usually keeps up with demand very well, they may not be headed to ali's gun shop in Iraq, but they probably went to the military. Its been at least 6 mos since I was able to find Federal match primers, reason given was that federal got a contract fo 100 million primers from the military, so all production went to filling that. More than likely hornady moved all production to fill some large order, or we have people doing panic buying. Maybe both ;)

DR

I have been looking for .224 50 gr Vmax bullets. I been thinking of switching to the Nosler 50s also but all 5 of my coyote rifles love that bullet and they have proven to be very accurate and very fur friendly and I hate to switch but with my summer PD trips scheduled, I need to start loading something I guess.

I am also looking for .308 110s also.

Having served in the USMC, I know thats not the type of bullet the military normally uses so unless Hornady is now set up to make military type bullets, I wouldnt think they are going there. I know people are panic buying but where are they buying from? All the store shelves are empty of this bullet.

Roger, I would be interested that auction. Do you have any more info on it? I would like to pick up 500-1000 depending on cost.

Thanks fellas,

jaybic

One thing you have to remember about........

Hornady is, they make bullets for many customers, including some of the ammo manufacturers, who then sell them as their own "bulk" bullets. This may have been the case w/Remington, who no longer sells their 25grnHP .17 bullets in bulk. Also, if they get behind on an order(s), they fill the orders as they are received, then when they get a "big" order for 10-20million or more, & they start on it, they'll see it through to completion. Once those machines get rolling, they're turned on to GO, not stop. I read some years back, that 75% of Hornady's production went into Pennsylvania, because it was a "Rifleman's State", think about it, there are many shooters in Pa., there are many matches in Pa., there are many distributors in Pa. Then, too, there's a "war" on, and during Viet Nam there was a world-wide brass shortage, thanks to us. But one thing's for sure, you won't let yourself get so low again, once the drought is over, will you......? Some of us learned that lesson some years ago w/primers.:rolleyes:

Brian,

Yer not kiddin'. I just spoke with a sales rep at Hornady asking them who they have sent bullets to so I could go buy them from that retailer and the rep said they are working 3 shifts a day 7 days a week and have hired over 100 new employees!

I asked her two questions. Can I buy stock and can I have a job. She said production will increase as soon as they finish the "new addition" which made it sound like they were adding on. She said new bullet making machinery was in the works or something to that effect but they are ridiculously behind.

She said bullets were going out but I have not seen it show up yet at the retailers so they may be simply filling backorders and have nothing left for the shelves. Whadaya do?:confused:

Jaybic

Hey fellas,

Just found some Vmaxes! Cabelas has them in the .224 50 grain 250ct boxes for 35.99 per box. They just got the shipment and they are almost gone already but I just ordered 750 bullets and 100 of the 110 vmax.

Scott,

Thanks for the Wideners tip. I just seen it as I was ordering but I really do appreciate it. I have never heard of wideners before.

Thanks all,

Jaybic

P.s. If anyone has any other suggestions/ideas of a decent Prairie dog bullet, I am all ears. Anyone know anything about the "Varmint nightmare extreme" bullets from Midsouth? Do you guys spend money on premium bullets to shoot pds?

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Say, Jaybic, you might try..........

the Hornady 53gr. Match. I know, it isn't as purty as a V-Max, but they shoot really well, & they did a number on the PDogs when I was in Colorado. A cheap short-range bullet is the SX, but you can't twist it tight. In a .223 it'd make a good killer to about 300 w/a good barrel. Its very thin-skinned, but in the .222 family, I've shot it even in the Mag., & it did well. Oh, the 53, I was shooting that in a .22-250. Another supplier you may try in the future, is Powder Valley, good folks to buy from;)

People are hoarding. I got into reloading only a few years ago and prices have shot up. It was 18$ for my first lb of Varget, now it is $26, and I've seen it as high as $29. Hello R15 and AA 2230. :).

I saw a picture of a guy with a Ford Excursion full of Garand ammo.

Primers are more than double the price as they were when I bought my first.

Love the 50gr V-Max for hunting/plinking in .223 and .22-250.

Sierra BlitzKing, and Nosler Ballistic Tips are polymer-tipped wonders as well. I favor the Nosler over the V-Max for consistency, but the V-Max goes kablooey better. Nosler is pretty competitive on price with the BT's.

Auction

The Auction is for the Miller Estate . It's at the Armoury in Owatonna 9:30am Sat . 45-50 firearms over a 100,000 rounds of Factory, Reloads, and components, presses ,dies ,primers ,powder, bullets, shotgun wads hulls shot etc. It's a guy I work withs brother-inlaws estate.

Roger T,

Thanks for the auction tip. I went but didnt stay long. Cant believe what the guns went for. People are either nuts or stupid! Some guns went for 200-300.00 over new and Cabelas is only 3 miles up the road from there.

I did see all the 55 gr Vmaxes but with folks paying stupid money for anything, I could buy the 50s that I wanted for less off the shelf at Cabelas.

Man, that fella sure liked to reload tho huh?

Too bad I didnt know you'd be there. I would have introduced myself.:)

Anyway, thanks again.

Jamie

Gross was over $ 78,000 Yes it was UNREAL. I bought a T/C 7mmBR barrel w/scope for $ 250 and picked up 1400 1 fired 7mmBR brass for $140 then sold 200 for $40 bucks to a guy that wanted 200 so I think I did OK on that. I couldn't believe the Colt stnls. Elite AR went for almost 2 Grand USED. The only NEW gun there was the 17 Rem BDL and that went for $850 I think. Did you see the guy that bought the 2 -100rd boxes of 44mag reloads for $100 a BOX, NUTS. 748 8 lbers went for near $180. Like you said Cabela's was WAY cheaper and I think their TOO HIGH:eek: Although it was a GREAT Sale for the Estate it was a bad one to be buying at.

Last edited:
Back