Higher ogive, light weight .22 bullets?

P.Ericson

Is there any custom bullet makers out there who makes .22 bullets in the 50-55gr range in somewhat higher ogives? Alot of the 6mm bullets used in point blank BR nowadays are 8+ ogive, or double ogive, and often with a small boat tail.

Most every mfg of .22 point blank bullets that I can find make a short 52gr FB 7ogive bullet, and nothing else. Is there any good reason for this, or is it just a result of the vanishing use of .22 benchrest bullets?

Peter

How about a boattail?

Lester Bruno makes a .22 cal boattail that is called a 52gr, weights more like 51.6-51.7gr and is first class. I don't know how your reamer set up but there isn't much bearing surface to grab onto though. Check it out.

tim

Is there any custom bullet makers out there who makes .22 bullets in the 50-55gr range in somewhat higher ogives? Alot of the 6mm bullets used in point blank BR nowadays are 8+ ogive, or double ogive, and often with a small boat tail.

Most every mfg of .22 point blank bullets that I can find make a short 52gr FB 7ogive bullet, and nothing else. Is there any good reason for this, or is it just a result of the vanishing use of .22 benchrest bullets?

Peter

Not say'n there are not .224 point dies > 7 1/2 ogive Tangents "out there"... But I know of none...

As for me....
My Simonson .224 die set has a 7ogive Tangent point die, makes a WONDERFUL bullet... Agg proven.

Bit of a shame I have not been impressed lately with custom .224 barrels (ANY make) or I'd be shoot'n
these little guys in LV/HV Classes.......... I know I'm getting >COMPETITIVE< 6mm barrels... Mostly..

Proabably it's the "vanishing use of .22 cal in modern Benchrest" ....

Also, honestly.... In my case (Full length to .050 short)... Even a .100 short 22ppc... The competitive life of a .224 barrel is noticiably shorter... Bronzing/errosion/checking just gets that Awesome barrel shooting "just" good in pretty short order...
If REALLY good (have had a few) I set the chamber back at 500rds....
A 6PPC by comparison is a bit more mild over the first 1000 rds of the throat.. Gentel "er"....

30's in SR BR...30BR, Major, Wolf Pup.......... Throats are >just< getting going at 1000 rds and most don't show any wear till >3000rds...

Back to the Peters question.....

$$$ ... IMOP since the cost of faster barrel wear AND the cost of making / buy'n .224 vs. .243 bullets AND the Short Range Benchrest Sporter issue and .224's............. .224's just don't make much sense these days ....
BUT.... Me thinks a 8ogive point die .224 and .800 length jackets could be REAL DEADLY..... But so are .224 7 ogive .705 jacketed bullets.... ... .. .

Still......A hot shooting .22 IS WAY FUN MAN...........!

cale

I just started thinking when I saw that J4 make a .740" .22 jacket... Looks like it could work nicely out of a 1/13" barrel.

But, if they are hard on the barrels if makes no sense, better staying with the 6PPC then. Good pointing dies are kind of costly to.

It looks like things have gone full circle at times.
The sporter class[10.5 lbs] was stared a{ as i remember} to promote a rifle of different caliber then 22 to set new records.

A good shooting 22 makes everything more fun. Recoil in a 10.5lb gun with a 22ppc is very smooth!! And those little groups!!! Whats not to like. Lee

Back