High Dollar Lapua

P

ProneShooter

I managed to miss it if anyone ever reported on the very expensive lapua that came out last summer. Did it shoot or was it a wash out? Thanks

Don Stith won with it at Piney Hill last Saturday. Take a look at the PSL equipment list to see how many are or are not shooting it. Might tell you something, might not. Your task should be to find how it works in YOUR rifles. Everything else is noise. bob finger

One thing I like about it-other than the obvious- is how quick it is ready to shoot for record. You don't need to waste ammo and time shooting a dozen or more fouling/lubing shots. It typically takes me 27 rounds to shoot a 25 bull match. I have not yet determined if it is less lot sensitive than some other brands.
Don

Don: I've noticed the same thing with Midas +. Only takes two fouling shots to settle the rifle in after a dry patch. I take at least 5 with Eley black box, and often ten. bob finger

Don

Please keep us up to date on your experience with the top of the line Lapua.

Are you shooting the old stuff (last years test ammo) or is there a new batch available now? One thing for sure, it is working for you.

Lapua ammunition

I am a smallbore prone shooter also.

I have tested multiple lots of XACT and Midas+ and have found the ammunition to be outstanding stuff. After having shot Eley for 15+ seasons prior, this ammunition in comparison shows very little lot to lot variance in accuracy.

My best Lapua lots outperform my best eley lots - most noticably at 100 yards. out there, this ammunition really shines. I found several lots of XACT to average at or under .600" (over 5, 10 shot groups) in good conditions.

As mentioned, it shoots in quickly with very few rounds. Barrel fouling also seems minimal. I have pushed round counts well past 300 and could not see any accuracy loss at all.

Wind performance seems improved also - we will definately find out in the 2009 season!

kev

It is surely in our best interest to have more than one great target rimfire ammo on the world market.

Concho Bill

Just like Kevin I'm also a prone shooter but I haven't been as lucky with the Lapua X-Act. In my 54/Hart, for 10 shot groups, the best lot I could find averaged 16mm. In my 54/Schneider, it was even worst: 19mm !!!

I finally found a lot of Center-X that averaged 14.5mm

The same thing happened to a friend of mine who shipped his 54 barreled action in Germany for testing. The best X-Act lot averaged 17mm. He finally bought a lot of Center-X that delivered 13.7mm

So my advice is that you should take the time to also test the Center-X, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Last year I tested 5 lots of X-act and had a hard time picking the best.
Use X-act only in my scope rifle (52D Bench Mark barrel 17.5 twist)
Won the Western Wildcat scope event with 87 top shooters and shot next to Kevin at Perry and I think the X-act impressed him with a 1599-135X on the last day. (1600-135X won)
The wind dropped below 40mph on the last day and I pointed that one shot at the 9 ring.
Will be using X-act at Perry during the scope matches!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some Center-X and Midas+ that I tested a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a case of each with my cell phone at the range. I had three different lots of each and there wasn't much difference between lots.
There is still one case of Midas+ available that shot like dynamite in my Davis 40X. I would definatly buy it but I have enough now.

Dale McClure

Lapua x-act, midas +,& center x

Iwill get my largest shippment of these fine products today. The X-act is already sold out before I receive it.Fortunatly There will be a good supply of Midas + at $14.10. This great ammo got me my first 2500 last weekend. Richard Gorman who has led the agg line for the last two or Three years tried some and was extremley impressed. Joe Besche widley known as "Red Shoes" is switching to the Midas +. Joe has been a real steady shooter at the top for a number of years. Lastyear I was fortunate in shooting a new 6 card rechord with Center X at hawk hill in northern Missouri, a verry difficult range. The Center X sells for $8.80 and there will be a good supply of It. These great products are setting rechords all over the world and I feel verry fortunate to represent these fine products. Any one intrested in any further information can reach me at: tele# 913-649-7658 or cspss@att.net.

Charles is great to deal with, but apparently not so good to shoot against.
FWIW, after all these years of buying high dollar ammo, I finally got a free hat and T-shirt without asking. Thanks Charles.
Just like my old oilfield hands, buy them lunch and give them a hat and they will be forever happy, grateful, and work like a mule for ya. Go figure?
Dale McClure

Midas L

I have received numerous calls for L size Lapua ammo and have been unable to supply because it has been discontinued. I have been fortunate in locating about 15 cases of this great ammo and can offor it for $10.45 per box or $1045.00 per case. I also have about 4 cases of Midas M at the same price. all intrested can reach me at cspss@att.net or tele#913-649-7658. Also congratulations to Don Stith on his recent display of top shooting with Lapua.

Back