Hey Kent !?!?

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
You're a guitar picker and might know this off the top. If you unwound some of a string and cut off the excess would the 12th fret still be a harminomick. Asked another way, does a variance in the diameter of a string change where the harminomicks lie?

How big can the string get before half way won't ring?

Wilbur,
Let me put it this way, man I don't know:) I just pick 'em. I know what you're saying though. You're talking variation in diameter on the same string, right?

We know the harmonics of the low E and the G is on the same fret, if in tune, and those are different diameters.
I'll think about it and next time I restring one of these Martins I'll experiment and see what happens.
Unwind some of the A string on that D-45 of yours and see what happens:)

Last edited:
Can't even get a radio to play music, so won't be of any help. Could not help but wonder if this somehow is going to tie back to tuning barrels based on diameter. That Wilbur is always thinking.
Don

Wilbur,
The Harmonic Will Be At Fret Twelve Regardless Of String Diameter.
That Would Be An Octave Above.Of Course There Are Harmonics All Over The
Neck. You Can Pretty Much Hear Them All On Those " Van Halen" Records
You Listen To!!!! You May Very Well Be On Your Way To " Breaking The
Code"!!!! I Would Recommend Starting With A Good Barrel,As They Seem
Easier To Tune!!!!!!!!

Smitty

Van Halen ?

Smitty,

I had Wilbur pegged as more of a Porter Wagner type. CS

i figured by now some of the mathematicians would
have been on and given an analysis of the harmonics
in the strings, with charts and graphs and 8x10 glossy
photos. and yeah wilbur get one of them new rachet
necks, it'll improve your playing immensely.

Smitty,

I had Wilbur pegged as more of a Porter Wagner type. CS

We lived just down the street from Porter when I was a youngster. His son Richard and I spent way too much time looking at his Mom's medical books (nurse I think). Some afternoons we had to go in the house and watch Porter on that itty bitty TV...I remember thinking Porter and his gang were a bunch of hillbilly clowns but then I also passed on AOL stock years later. Wound up the rubber band on my airplane and flew it up on Porter's house. Asked him to get it down and he didn't so I was done with Porter right there, for good.

Someday we'll hear somebody say, "My rifle shoots #4 machine when tuned in B-flat."

Bill the piano tuner will be at the range today, I'll run that buy him.:rolleyes:

wilbur, did you ever have a video taken of you while
you were sitting on a porch playin' a banjo when you
were a kid? i think i've seen it somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The diameter and the tension

add in. The tension in the string is the largest effect to natural frequency. If the string gets large enough it starts to have its own stiffness and will effect the frequency more. Just in case, this really cant be related to a barrel as they are two different phenomenoms (sp?).

I look forward to any videos, graphs or whatever to explain what Wilbur asked and Stiller stated as two different things.....an action sitting tight in a stock....no movement (Period.) and a muzzle ......stopped.....(no movement (period.)........seems like a guitar string to me. I think mine likes 3 and 4 machine in G...or B flat...or whatever Mozart liked he was good!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Carp

giutar pikcre

a tuner works, i don't know how !
but how dose a dyslexic pikc guitar...Kent:D:D

I don't have any of that scientific stuff

I have a drawing of the concept - attached.

It would seem that a guitar string has parallel "whatevers" in places. You can ring a string using a fingertip indicating that there's a range involved. Otherwise. an object much smaller than a fingertip would be required.

Attachments

• guitar-gun.jpg
    guitar-gun.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Wilbur,
I respect your question and want to know your idea on the answer that you want to hear. Does it have anything to do with a piece of metal between two immovable ends....action vs. tuner (i.e.stopped muzzle)?

Carp

Carp

Did you see the drawing in my earlier post?

If a barrel worked like a guitar string (per the drawing), it would be simple to set the sweet spot at the muzzle before the first shot.

Wilbur!....

I see you are posting some things that are very Calfee like. (parallel whatevers!) Me thinks you may be having second thoughts about wiping the old boy out! Are you just trying to resurrect some of his very peculiar offerings?

I read Bill Calfee's article from another thread and began to think about those vibrating guitar strings and what it took to "play" a harmonic. It became obvious that rather than a "X" crossing of the vibration pattern it must have a "flat" in the pattern...not "parallel" but I used that term as a tie to previous thoughts and as an acknowledgement of the concept.

As for those "second thoughts" mentioned, I suffer from such on a continuous basis. The article I read was an indication of the "real" Bill Calfee...not the one that posts here.

Back to the "obvious" flat in the vibration pattern. A guitar string touched at any point other than a harmonic will be "killed" instantly. A casual touch, as opposed to an exact touch, at the harmonic and the string still plays. Since you can do that with a fingertip, a logical assumption could be drawn that there is a width or range involved....not swingin up, down or otherwise. A very narrow range when compared to the barrel length but a range nonetheless. Were it an "X" pattern, you would need something like a knife blade to play the harmonic.

Edit:
"when compared to the barrel length" should read "....string length"

Last edited:
Back