Help with IMR 8208 XBR- Carbon

PR2Shooter

Shooting here in the Northeast....temps have not gotten above 45F having what appears to be carbon fouling with 8208 XBR. I have found that I really need to work carbon fouling out after 8-9 shots. You can really feel it with a brush.....cannot feel carbon with N133 or T32!

I agree with other threads posted... XBR will really shoot. It goes like this: three of four shots in the ones then a flyer to goof up the group. Bullets proven N133 and T shoots consistant.

My tune likes 31.4 to 31.7 gr of the XBR with a 68 gr FB. My 133 load is 29.5gr and T32 likes 28.4gr.

Thoughts anyone?

I've shot a couple hundred rounds with it so far, and haven't seen anything like what you are seeing. It burns as clean as anything I've used.

brush...what brush ??

start with a couple of wet patches of a carbon buster, then a dry one or two, then your normal cleaning.

better yet, as has been pointed out, fix the problem. no one else has mentioned a carbon problem, just the opposite.

mike in co

Carbon

In all honesty, I haven't paid that much attention to carbon. As long as the Rifle is shooting well, I could care less.

But then, I rarely borescope barrels, I just use my normal cleaning regiment with all confidence that it's doing it's job.

I suspect the cold weather has something to do with your carbon problem, coupled with too light of a load. The way we make 133 shoot extremely clean is push it hard. That is what we have been doing with the XBR, at temps in the mid 50's.

There is still much to be learned with this new powder as it pretains to Benchrest. Thanks for the info, it will be something to keep an eye out for.........jackie

Thanks for the thoughts.......I have tried 205 and REM BR primers with same results. I have some Wolf mags that seemed a little hot for 133.....I will try them.

Interesting Jackie.....I do run up to 30.6 gr of 133 and it does run real clean......I just cant get any more XBR in the case without messing with my seating depth (0.060" freebore). I am not crossing off XBR, just writing in pencil with the cold temps....we need some heat up here in PA.

help with 8208 XBR

The 7 1/2 usually is hot enough and the winchester is formulated for ball powder.
Maybe your just too hot on the powder.
I shot 31 grs in mine and it was quite cold. Pressures were up and my friend bob also shot the same load.
Both of us saw that it performed like the old 8208 we had and just as clean..
You may have hit that spot where more powder looses velocity.
sounds strange but i have had it happen. The chronograph didn't lie.
I actually lost velocity'''

I shot 30 rounds, last week. It was too cold to clean. 32-34 degrees, I think.
Had some really nice 3 shot groups. 30.8, 31.0, 31.5 gn. Berger 68 HPFB.
When I got home. I let the rifle warm up an hour or so. Cleaned up real easy.
Will be out there today. It's 32 degrees now.

help with 8208 XBR

It's supposed to get a tad warmer here in central Ny.
I plan on testing some 8208xbr tomorow.
The temp will be close to 40 degrees again.
I'll start with that 30.5 gr load.
I didn't have any trouble last time and hopr i don't this time.
Th e test lot i have is really clean now for those 8 lb jugs.

Back