Hellp With Record Keeping?

walker2713

I'm a long time hunter/shooter, and have been reloading since the mid-90's. The rifles range from 17 Ackley Hornet, .204, .223, 20 Vartarg, 17FB, .243....to my current primary focus: my Savage 6mmbr. I'm planning on participating in our range's 600 yard matches this year.

One of my problems is that I tend to fly by the seat of my pants in terms of record keeping: index cards, reloading labels, notes on the back of grocery store receipts....you get the picture.

As my good friend and shooting "bud" said to me a few days ago at the range: "you don't write stuff down, and you're lost, right?"

So, I'd appreciate some input on best and simplest way to maintain a record of loads, rounds fired, targets, scope settings, etc.etc.etc......

I've been looking online, and see that there are electronic as well as paper resources out there, but am not sure where and how to start.

Many thanks,

George

I agree with the spiral notebooks, Only I use full sized ones and buy them by the gross.

Writer EVERYTHING down but do it quick, learn your own format. Date/temp/load/vel/primer/powder/case/bullet whatever. With a large notebook I often "draw" with dots, the groups even. Group shape is important to me.

The fill-in-the-blanks stuff is all irrelevant info IMO :)

al

get a spiral bound what ever for each [each] barrel. i like spiral bound index cards. they are heavy duty and dont blow around easy. and they lay flat with the spiral spring at the top. the 4x6 inch is my favorite but the 3x5 inch size packs better.

Mobile Phone

It was tough,making the transition from paper to digital. I finally figured out how to operate my iphone 4S. Record keeping takes on a whole new experience. Voice activated,keyboard activated,photos of targets,Rifles.editable load data,e-mail notes to home computer(Backup), and Tons of storage capacity. I have 456 oldies and goodies(songs). Surf the internet(Safari). They thought of just about everything. Still finding ways to use phone features. If you like gadjets,this is the way to go.

Glenn

Well, Alinwa needs a big book because he still writes with chalk and crayons.
"editable load data"
Al, don't let Glen confuse you. That's editable and not edible.

I never make a mistake so I use a ballpoint pen.
I don't even need white out for this keyboard.

Less gifted people use a pencil with an eraser.

I guess the really gifted use the telephone. The really, really use the telephone and grandkid to make the entries, take the pictures, edit grand dad's mistakes and eat the edibles. ooooohhh, what to do, what to do. Sorry Alinwa

Francis, that's really funny. Sorry Al. Been there, done that. Esp. the crayon.

Roy

Hey, don't diss chalk and crayons, with them I get color.....

I put NOTHING of value on my electronic devices, I've broken/drowned/lost/smashed/buried/dropped/ ruined dozens of phones. My phones serve one function, reliable communication, and I keep spares in my truck. I had a Droid Smartphone for 3 daze.....absolutely hated it, gave it to my wife.

she loves it.

but back to the notebooks..... NO to pencil/crayon/oil/acrylic/watercolors/pastels/etc. I keep pens and Sharpies in all my gear storages. I keep the pens in ziplok sandwich bags. I've tried just about every log or data book known to man and none of them work for me. They've got spaces for stuff like "SD" and "BC" and "serial number" and "brand" and "type of bullet" and "wind call" and "moa of dialed windage" and "elevation" and "correction" and ON and ON and ON with goofy "tactical" or "sniper" or other "useful" information.

FuhhGEDDABOU'DIT!!!

I record;
date
temp/conditions
case/powder load/bullet/primer brand
neck tension/seat depth (oal or distance off lands)
velocity
group size/shape using dots

And at the end of the session a note about "what happened." This impression of the situation is valuable years later, notes like "shows promise but ragged, try Win Primers?" can shorten your curve when revisiting stuff. I shoot lots of rifles in lots of chamberings so I NEED notes that bring back to mind "what happened last time."

hth

al

I'm a long time hunter/shooter, and have been reloading since the mid-90's. The rifles range from 17 Ackley Hornet, .204, .223, 20 Vartarg, 17FB, .243....to my current primary focus: my Savage 6mmbr. I'm planning on participating in our range's 600 yard matches this year.

One of my problems is that I tend to fly by the seat of my pants in terms of record keeping: index cards, reloading labels, notes on the back of grocery store receipts....you get the picture.

As my good friend and shooting "bud" said to me a few days ago at the range: "you don't write stuff down, and you're lost, right?"

So, I'd appreciate some input on best and simplest way to maintain a record of loads, rounds fired, targets, scope settings, etc.etc.etc......

I've been looking online, and see that there are electronic as well as paper resources out there, but am not sure where and how to start.

Many thanks,

George

George,this is an example of record keeping,using the latest digital technology. The photo was taken with my iphone . using the built in keyboard,You can add notes depending on the storage capacity of the device. I doubt you will ever exceed the storage capacity. If so,you can add more space. If you have a habit of losing/destroying your cell phone,you can download/e-mail your notes to your home computer. I have an incurable habit of misplacing my car keys. Haven't been able to get my phone to help me out with that one. This is just another option to consider.

It works for me.

IMG_2704.jpg

Glenn

This thread is going downhill fast what with Al making some sense of things and Glenn showing off a tiny group.
That is a nice group, Glenn

Francis.. All the posts in this thread are relative to the original question. The photo idea was to illustrate the versatility of a modern communications device. Todays phones are nothing more than hand held computers. We walk around everyday with this technology in hand. Keeping records is as simple as entering a phone number or texting a message or taking a photograph. Gifted people? The only gift I have is curiosity and a good pair of reading glasses.:D

Thanks for the compliment.

Glenn

so it gets down to this ,
if one is tech friendly got the iphone route, if like myself and uncle al...paper works..i use full size spirals one for each rifle. a couple of rifles have a small spiral for shot logs.

now as far as glenn and his one shot group with that terrible imr8208....i'm sure that was just showing what one can do with the editiing function of a pic......

(nice group by the way)

mike in co

Back