Hello

B

booger

Non-symetrical tuning?

Hello Forum! Been here for about a year and I tell ya you guys are a tough crowd! I’d like to hear your thoughts on this idea. I’ve been working on a theory for tuning and would like to share it with the rimfire benchrest community. If this has been proposed before and shot down so be it. I had to ask. I’m a mechanical engineer and spend a lot of time thinking of how to make things work better.
As you know the current tuners are cylindrical and basically tune by adding weight and moving it in or out on the end of the muzzle. I wonder if tuners could be non-symmetrical and tune the muzzle in only the direction it needs dampening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Forum! Been here for about a year and I tell ya you guys are a tough crowd! I’d like to hear your thoughts on this idea. I’ve been working on a theory for tuning and would like to share it with the rimfire benchrest community. If this has been proposed before and shot down so be it. I had to ask. I’m a mechanical engineer and spend a lot of time thinking of how to make things work better.
As you know the current tuners are cylindrical and basically tune by adding weight and moving it in or out on the end of the muzzle. I wonder if tuners could be non-symmetrical and tune the muzzle in only the direction it needs dampening?

You will have to ask Martin!:D

Booger...

If that is true, it would lend credence to the barrel indexing theory. It might be worth experimenting. The current theory only seems to address tuning the barrel as it reacts vertically to the gravity induced sag at rest. An eccentric tuner adjustable rotationally might be interesting. I'm sure the Tuna King has the answers.:rolleyes:

Jim

Allen Hall, Hall Manufacturing, Hall Actions, etc, has experimented with an accentric tuning weight. I'm no expert but I would think it would depend on barrel indexing and bore curve...which is annother can of worms.

Worth a try

Several years ago, a few people were using a tuner under the front of the barrel. They had an adjustment like a micrometer, in fact some of them used part of a micrometer. An eccentric weight up front might just be the "cats meow". Magnets attached to the barrel 8-10" back have also been used. A magnet helps my Mini-14. Cut group by about 1/3. Of course it still shoots poorly!

a gunsmith in Arkansas, Bill Pool, makes eccentric tuners and has had success with them on the rifles he builds. I do not have his phone number, but you might look him up.

skinny barrel tuners

i think tuners with a footprint the size of the Boss system, adjustable weights
similar to the von arens system, with a muzzle brake or not...would be usable
for rimfire as well as centerfire, the weight might not need to go over a few
ounces, this type would be a boon or boondoggle fer skinny barrel sporters.

this could be the fever or the meds talkin, i got double pneumonia and my DR. wants me in the hospital, as soon as my psychiatrist lets me out of hers:eek:
)chill()chill()chill( pills and shots in the arse are eating up my gun-fund.

I've bought several from Martin Mercy can't remember but I think he's from around the Hot Springs area. I have had them on 22 rinfire 17 rimfire and a 223 worked great on all of them

Martin is from Camden, Ar.

I can try to find contact info it needed. He is a super guy to deal with.

Mike

Martin's contact info:

Mercy Tool & Design
Street: Highway 274
Camden, ar 71701-
Phone: (870) 574-1167

a gunsmith in Arkansas, Bill Pool, makes eccentric tuners and has had success with them on the rifles he builds. I do not have his phone number, but you might look him up.

501-778-2459

Arkansas Gun Traders
11 Lincoln Sq
Benton, AR 72015

Mike

Back