Headspacing a 30BR

Bnhpr

Ben Hooper
OK, I have two 30 cal 17 twist bbls to chamber 30 Br. To set the headspace, I planned to expandiron up 6BR brass, run it through my S Type dies, and use that case as a gauge.

Any advice appreciated.

Ben

Plenty of money Butch?
How much is that?
Looking at some of the fancy Mauser's you've been working up, maybe you could float me a loan...low interest?

Anyway, my rationale is based on my 30x47 HBR rifle I've been playing with. I used a piece of brass I formed as a gauge, and It is my top performer in the resizing game. I then, made a headpace gauge from that chamber for reference. Talk about bass ackwards.

Other rounds I use the headspace gauge, and seem to get too much size difference than my dies.

That's all...

Other rounds I use the headspace gauge, and seem to get too much size difference than my dies.

That's all...

Ben,

I'm seeing the same thing I think you are talking about. I tried the go-gage for the .243 in my sizing die. Didn't learn much from that other than it's longer than the die and doesn't fit in the holder.

So, hoping for some more quantative data, I used the measuring tool I bought last summer. It's a hollow piece that clamps on the digital calipers. I clamp it on, close the calipers on it, zero the calipers. Then I measure the resized brass and the go gage. The go-gage is .003" longer than the resized brass. If I set the headsapce to go-tgage plus .002", then FL sized brass will be bumped almost 5 mils which about everybody agrees is too much.

While I'm waiting for the back ordered reamer and barrel, I'm going to experiment with setting the sizing die by putting various thickness of feeler gage between them and the shell holder to increase the length of the sized brass about .003". Don't know if it will work or not but I'm going to give it a try.

I really don't want to spend the money to get the graduated Redding shell holders if I can find a way around it.

Fitch

it's a lot less hassel to use a headspace gage then send 3-4 pcs of fired brass to lynnwood harrel for a sizing/bump die and be done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,safely as it should be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

it's a lot less hassel to use a headspace gage then send 3-4 pcs of fired brass to lynnwood harrel for a sizing/bump die and be done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,safely as it should be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

DD,

With a 3 die set redding S Type, can't I do the same thing, just bump it back .002 by setting my die to do so?

yep, I've got a couple 223's that I use the Redding S Bushing die on, and a shooting partner that use's the S bushing die on his 30BR, both work great too,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,, like the guy's above suggested,,,,,,,,,,,,,just to be safe and do it the right way,,,, get and use the go/no gage's to set the headspace

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Back