Hawkeye Borescope - recommendations?

S

spencer313

I am considering a borescope, and am seeking recommendations. First use would be barrel work. Hawkeye has several kits, and a "pro" level product as well.

Anyone have an opinion? :eek:

Any used ones for sale?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Hawkeye borescope (yes I have two) are about the most useful high priced tools I have. I've easily paid for them twice over just on barrel and chamber trouble shooting and learning efficient and safe cleaning methods.

You really want to have the 17" slim with focusing lens and the 90 degree eyepiece (essential for looking at the chamber and chamber end of barrels on actions in stocks).

The kit is the HS17-AF-AEP-KT at Bruno Shooter Supply or as #31-1000 at Sinclair International

"Hawkeye"

spencer313: Bought my 17" Deluxe almost 3 yrs. ago from Lester Bruno, Phoenix AZ. At that time he beat Midways' price by $80. My cost delivered, after the $75 rebate was $620. One of the best investments I've ever made. Others must think so also, since I rarely see used for sale. There was one locally at an estate sale last Summer & it sold for close to new price. Got the straight eyepiece, although I understand the 90 degree can have its' advantages: I just don't need it. I place a sturdy box on top of my 32" high workbench, lay a towell down with the rifle on top, and sit on a chair and am able to look straight in to the bore. Prefer the Energizer lithium batteries. Have changed about 3 bulbs, so you should have spairs available. I could fill up this page w/ info, if interested, send a pm.:)

I have a Hawkeye and it works great. Bruno has the best price and if you are going to use it with barreled action in the stock get the right angle eye piece. The only problem is you are going to see stuff in the barrel that will keep you awake at night, LOL.

My borescope is one of the best BR equipment purchases I've ever made. I have the 17" Hawkeye focusing model. Mine is about 9 years old, and the mirror is in pretty sad shape. I understand that the newer ones come with a much more resiliant mirror. If you get one, you ought to consider upgrading to the $10 LED conversion from Wal-Mart.....It improves the color and brightness a bunch.

-Dave-:)

First use would be barrel work.
There was some reporting in the past that if lubricant/coolant got on the mirror, it would become toast pretty quickly. Jerry Stiller offered to make up a stainless mirror -- cost would have been about $200, but as far as I heard, he didn't go through with it -- I guess he didn't get enough takers.

Moral is, when you say "barrel work," take the time to clean out either cleaning or chambering chemicals from the bore before using the Hawkeye.

Not to knock the product, they do warn about this, and maybe the mirrors/mirror bonding has improved in recent years. Just that it is one "manufacturer's direction" to pay attention to. Like everyone else, I like mine a lot.

"Hawkeye" & chemicals

Have tried to help friends and offered to scope their bore for them, emphasizing that it must be dry. They assure me it is. Well, there's dry and then there is dry, two different meanings, I suppose. When first slowly entering the chamber and keeping the mirror from any "hard" contact, if I see any trace of liquid, the scope is withdrawn, and either the barrel is thoroughly dry patched, or the scope goes back in the case.

Hawkeye

I have the 17" Hawkeye with angled eyepiece and Nova light source. You don't need to spend the extra money for the Nova light, as I understand the LED Mini Mag Light upgrade accomplishes the same thing for several dollars vs. $200. It is one of the best investments I've ever made and I use it constantly for:

1) inspection of new barrels
2) monitoring barrel break in
3) checking inside of crown for burrs
4) verifying cleaning process is thorough
5) determining when to use JB in the throat area
6) checking brass from the inside
7) comparing match grade barrels from one manufacturer vs. another (I can't visually tell any difference between Kreiger, Hart, or Pac Nor. They all look good from the inside)
8) monitoring firecracking in the early stages

If you get one, you'll spend quite a bit of time using one.

Lou Baccino

Borescopes are commonly used in the visual inspection of aircraft engines, aeroderivative industrial gas turbines, steam turbines, diesel engines, and automotive and truck engines.
borescope

And you can use it to save your friends lots of $$ in medical exams............

But seriously, a great tool especially if you do any chambering work. It will amaze you how terrible the throat area of some of your best shooting barrels look. And how bad some bores from highly regarded barrel makers look.

Have tried to help friends and offered to scope their bore for them, emphasizing that it must be dry. They assure me it is. Well, there's dry and then there is dry, two different meanings, I suppose. When first slowly entering the chamber and keeping the mirror from any "hard" contact, if I see any trace of liquid, the scope is withdrawn, and either the barrel is thoroughly dry patched, or the scope goes back in the case.

Ditto's on the above. The first thing I noted when using my Hawkeye to inspect a bore is that what I thought was a "dry bore" (via dry patches) was NOT a dry bore.

I love my Hawkeye and have never regretted it's purchase.

Justin

I have the Deluxe model with the 90* adapter. A problem with the 90* thing is it tends to take the scope out of focus. Both pieces have the ability to be focused and it is a battle between the two sometimes. For that reason I rarely use the 90* piece much anymore.

Regarding the Mirror; I am wondering if perhaps the mirror attracts "Stuff" from the bore and ambient. Perhaps it takes on a charge and pulls "Stuff" to it. An Engineer friend opined that the film we get on our windshields on the inside; even if we don't smoke, comes from the plastic covering the dash. the Glass attracts the chemicals to it and they become attached. Perhaps this is what happens to the mirrors on our borescopes.

Last edited:
Pete,
From time to time when using my borescope I clean the mirror with the cleaner and q-tips that Hawkeye sent with the scope package. I guess a way to check for crud buildup on the mirror would be to clean the mirror before using it on a few barrels and then run a q-tip across the mirror after you are through borescoping and see if any crud accumulated.
Just a thought.

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

I have the deluxe. One place where you can get a good price takes patience. I bought mine on eBay. Never, ever buy from anyone that has under a 98.5 rating and has sold less than 100 items. Anyway that is what has worked for me.

Chip

I will hazard a guess that the mirror is front surface. Not like your bathroom mirror where the reflective coating is on the backside and you are looking through the glass. This surface is very delicate and it does not take much to upset the silver-nitrate that is used to form the surface. Front surface mirrors are used through out the reproduction ( photo copiers, fax, ect) industry as you get a true image.

I will hazard a guess that the mirror is front surface. Not like your bathroom mirror where the reflective coating is on the backside and you are looking through the glass. This surface is very delicate and it does not take much to upset the silver-nitrate that is used to form the surface. Front surface mirrors are used through out the reproduction ( photo copiers, fax, ect) industry as you get a true image.

$85.00 + $10.00 shipping to repair the mirror (don't ask me how I know!)

Back