Hawkeye bore scope question

J

jGEE

It hurt -but i ordered a bore scope from Bruno's. I think in the long run knowing what's going "inside" will excellerate my learning curve.

If i'm ever going to need the angle eye piece now is the time to save on buying it. I don't see why i need the angle eye piece, am i missing something i will need later??
thank joe :)

(ps i hate this rimfire, it's a bottomless pit!! and i just told the no more for me, i got everything i need! :D)

If you don't mind kneeling on the floor to look through your barrel, you don't need an angled eye-piece.

Cheers
Vince (UK)

Mr Vinceb, thanks! -thats why i asked.
You got me to thinking, one reason i want a bore scope is to look at my chambering job as i'm doing it in the lathe. You just saved me from having to crawl up on the lathe, lol.

another reason i'm tired of wondering is my barrel really clean. I'm starting to think with just a little lead or carbon in the leade your wasting ammo to continue to shoot. One school of thought clean ever couple hundred rounds anotehr is clean after every target, whew

I called Bruno's back for the upgrade. The angle eye piece is +$130 with the kit or +$250 by itself. joe:)

now i can tell the wife i'm "done" FOR REAL THIS TIME! :D

You won't regret buying the scope or the eyepiece. You may want to upgrade to the LED instead of the bulb that comes in the light.

You won't regret buying the scope or the eyepiece. You may want to upgrade to the LED instead of the bulb that comes in the light.

You can get a LED upgrade kit for the AA mini mag from Lowes for about $7.95. Put one in mine and a friend did the same to his. They're great.

You can get a LED upgrade kit for the AA mini mag from Lowes for about $7.95. Put one in mine and a friend did the same to his. They're great.

thanks guys..... after this, the wife says i'm on total lockdown!!
joe :)

one reason i want a bore scope is to look at my chambering job as i'm doing it in the lathe.
Last I heard (from Stiller), that is a sure-fire way to ruin the mirror. Unless Hawkeye has changed things, the mirror gets very unhappy in the presence of solvents, including cutting oil. I suppose if you swab out all the cutting oil you *might* be safe. Before I use mine, I patch out the barrel with alcohol first, and we don't use it while chambering.

Last I heard (from Stiller), that is a sure-fire way to ruin the mirror. Unless Hawkeye has changed things, the mirror gets very unhappy in the presence of solvents, including cutting oil. I suppose if you swab out all the cutting oil you *might* be safe. Before I use mine, I patch out the barrel with alcohol first, and we don't use it while chambering.

Thanks Mr Charles.... i'll be extra careful. Ok the full story, I have on order a bushed reamer and i asked for a matching bushed "hobb" coming from Kiff, be here about 2 more weeks. I don't have a clue how to use a "hobb" or what it looks like but i'm about to find out. Kiff could send me a liquorish stick, lol. I figured i would keep an eye on the chamber when "hobbing".

I think i'll ask Beau to ask Calfee how "hobbing" should be done.;)
thanks for the tips, joe:)

(yea i really am broke broke now... i got to e-bay more junk so i can eat now... but i just know i'm "right there"!! rimfire is some kind of "gun-crack" i know it is!!~)

Thanks Mr Charles.... i'll be extra careful. Ok the full story, I have on order a bushed reamer and i asked for a matching bushed "hobb" coming from Kiff, be here about 2 more weeks. I don't have a clue how to use a "hobb" or what it looks like but i'm about to find out. Kiff could send me a liquorish stick, lol. I figured i would keep an eye on the chamber when "hobbing".

I think i'll ask Beau to ask Calfee how "hobbing" should be done.;)
thanks for the tips, joe:)

(yea i really am broke broke now... i got to e-bay more junk so i can eat now... but i just know i'm "right there"!! rimfire is some kind of "gun-crack" i know it is!!~)

Don't toss your old parts for the light up-grade in the trash. I did the conversion. Let me tell you, I don't like it! It is to bright and the problem is that I can't see as well, the bore reflects the light like a mirror and it is like looking directly into a bright light.

The angled eye piece is definitely worth while and makes life a lot easier.

I have been very happy with my bore scope but one word of advise remember you are looking at a highly magnified image so when you first look down the barrel and you see the scratches and pits they really aren't big enough to park a truck in.

Resist the temtation

Joe:
After you have view your first barrel. resist the temtation to get the reamer and deep hole drills out. Just clean as normal and check again. Many times, we fail to take that one extra stroke before we quit I cleaning regiment.

"I think i'll ask Beau to ask Calfee how "hobbing" should be done.
thanks for the tips, joe"

Yeah Joe, good luck. Let us know how that goes--eh?
Just be careful, and don't gall it. It's easily done, galling it I mean.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and tips!
Mr. Owens - I was thinking about startin out by hand on the hobbin, make a few twirls and look... make a few more and look.

On my 1st experiment a few months back i could feel the steel grabbing at higher speeds... i'm thinkin i'll be working in the lower rpm ranges.

I have a copy of a 1940 How To Run a Lathe -South Bend, it mentions in a couple of places use lard oil for threading and turning. That ain't the old white lard cooking grease is it?

Probably got a lot better lubes now days, too many, lol. I have Several brands of cutting oil i use -wonder if it will work for Hobbin... maybe Beau can find out whats best to use when he talks to Bill -eh? :confused:

Anyway the wife says i'm on total lockdown for a couple of months, lucky i got a few bricks of 'lead, lol.
thanks again everyone,
joe :)

Back