Hart actions

mrspradlin

Graham Wind Flags
I was wondering if anyone could give me a little insite on Hart actions. There is a benchrest unlimited rifle close by that has a dual port Hart action I may try and look at.
Were they a good action in the day. How would one compair to todays standards.

Thanks
Matt

Tough question! If it's a good railgun in all other aspects and is within your limits pricewise...just buy it.

The Hart action is a good action.....any day...

I have barreled a few over the years and I consider them to be a stiffer 40X (htese were 1970's vintage actions). They were not as precisely made as are modern precision actions. They are more rigid due to smaller ports and, in some cases, larger diameters. I would still consider one to be desirable but would expect to do some remedial work to get it to perform it's best. Regards, Bill

OLd Dogs and Children and Watermellon Wine_----

Is there really anything new under the sun? I read on another thread where someone said there is nothing really new in Benchrest since 1980. I take that to mean in group Shooting because there has been quite a change in the Score Shooting realm.

As to equipment, there are easier to use actions but as a Gunsmith once commented to me," once the Gate is closed, It's closed".

I wish someone would find a chambering that would replace the PPC. Don't ya think it's time?

Pete

Old Hart actions are great actions for what they are, most have no coned bolt or ejector. Both Tony Boyer and Kent Harshman have a lot good to say about them.

Charles Huckeba's rail gun has a Hart action in it. No telling how many HOF points he's won shooting it. Tony Boyer's go to HV rifle was a Hart actioned rifle for years.

The one I looked at was in very poor condition to say the least.
It looked like a good action back in the day. But not now.

Bad in what way? I've shot a couple of old Harts and they were pretty sound. Couldn't run them as fast as modern actions, but they were true and fairly tight.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

bolt lugs were very ruff, bolt face had a very nice primer ring from what ever, ejector didnt work, bolt shroud was engraved at one time but it looked like someone tried to remove it. Was told it was a dual port from Hart but it looked questionable.

Ive never seen dual port hart action. Maybe some one milled in the extra port.
Maybe they did make one on a special order. The primer ring is no big deal or the bolt shroud.
Like Wilbur said if the rest of the platform is sound and you like it buy it.
Ps If you don't like the bolt PTG make new replacement bolts with upgrades.

Back