Harrell Compact vs. "O" style presses

B

Ben.Y

I am interested in buying a Harrell compact press, but see a lot of recommendations on that "O" style presses (which i can see could have advantages). I am currently using a progressive Lee with too much flex for my satisfaction. Is the stopping point of the Harrell solid when the ram is all the way up and is flex when full length sizing an issue? Just want to get the right press one time and be done with it.

I would probably go with the mag size so I would have plenty of clearance loading bullets up to .308.

Thanks for all the help you have given so far.

I have the Harrell Compact. Think it will do .308. Fits in my Craftsmen toolbox for loading at Tournaments(take off the clamp). A very nice press. There is no flex.
I also have a Lee Turret press from 1986. A Lee Classic Turret, my most used press. And 2 Lee Classic Cast Presses. For making 6mm 68gn bullets. :)
All good.

There is a very good description as to why commercially mass produced "O" type presses and also the "C" types may be less desirable than several other types, on the Corbin website.

If I'm wrong, somebody help me out & explain why.

If you're worried about such things as press flex, you're talking about full-length sizing.

OK, what happens first? First, the neck encounters the die. Sizing the neck is no great obstacle for the press. It ain't going to flex. If anything is guiding the neck straight, it is the die. Usually, it isn't that tight.

As you run the case further into the die, you're going to size base and bump the shoulder. By this time, the case is usually fully supported by the die. If the press "flexes," the case isn't going anywhere -- the die won't let it.

It's all in the die. The press is just another crowbar.

A long time ago, I bought a RCBS Rockchucker. I was stepping up from a RCBS Jr., because I wanted the greater leverage. At the time, I had no idea that if a die is reducing a case so much that great leverage is needed, that the die is seriously mismatched to the chamber, and likely to reduce the accuracy of ammunition. These days, I do most of my range work with a PPC, that I load for with a closely matched FL die. It hardly takes any effort at all. The funny part is that when I recently looked at a picture of the reloading equipment that Tony Boyer uses, at the range, there sat a RCBS Jr., just like the one that I sold so many years ago. If a press flexes under sizing pressure, the case will follow the die. If there is variance in shoulder bump, it may be reduced by more uniform application of lube, using the a shell holder that is of a thickness that brings it into contact with the bottom of the die, or by annealing cases' necks and, more importantly (for bump) shoulders.

Thanks for the replies. When I was shooting just std. 6br I had a shell holder that allowed me to bump the shoulder .001 and contacted the die...flex (or turret movement) was no issue. Now, I am shooting a 6brx and have std. 6br dies backed out .098. I don't have a shellholder to touch the die, so i am depending on my press to be consistent. I guess it isn't the flex in the press i am worried about, it is just the press having a solid stopping point. I know with mine i can resize different amounts by varying the pressure on the handle a little bit. That is what I am trying to get away from.

Thanks for all of your input.

For roughly the same cost as a new "heavy-duty" press (which won't help your concerns), you can have Jim Carstensen make you a die that fits your chamber (which will).

There are other die makers, it is just that AFAIK, JLC Precision is the cheapest, as he starts with an existing die body. Not to say that the Jones or Warner dies aren't worth the money, they offer further advantages, which you may not feel you need.

Edit: The one advantage of some heavy duty presses is they will take a die of greater diameter, Dies flex too, and that does matter. But if you're not seriously reforming cases or making bullets, the standard 7/8 die should work fine, as long as it is a close match to the chamber.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that having a die set so that it is almost a tenth of an inch high would leave an important part of the case unsized. If it is not a problem for you, it would seem that you must not be loading to a very high pressure. Another die option is to have a custom die made by Jones or Hornady. I have had good reports on both.

I am using a 308 body die to size the base before running brass into FL sizing die.

I have a Harrell's Compact. Love it. Only issue is I can't use my Redding Competition Seater even with a short round like the 30BR. I like to use the Competition seater to explore seating depth in load development. If I want the comp seat I bring my RCBS Partner along. If you are seating VLDs long to try and touch the lands in a factory tube I am not sure the Compact Press has enough stroke for clearance. Luck, tim

Back