"hardness" of front and rear bags

atimmons

I am new to working up loads using a ladder/node method with a bench rest arrangement and am concerned about how "hard" the front and rear bags should or shouldn't be. I have read several of the articles on this site to understand tracking of the bags (I think).
I am using a Caldwell Rock BR and Protecktor #3 Wide owl ear front bag and 13A heavy bottom rabbit ear rear bag.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

abintxs, thanks for the Speedy story. FBecigneul, thanks for the analogy. That was one of my main concerns, in that by bedding the stock in the front bag, it seems almost as hard as a 2x4 with leather on top. I got the prefilled Protektor bag and have let some sand out of it already. It still seems pretty hard when I press down on the top surface, but I can squeeze the sides towards each other and have some movement.
If I read Speedy's story correctly, I might want to dump the sand, mix it with some bird gravel and try again.
Any other suggestions?

The heavy sand works fine in the rear bag-- the heavier the better. I bought some from Russ Haydon which definitely makes my rear bag heavier, but still allows squeezing, and it does not pack. Sinclair's may be the same stuff, I don't know. I've noticed that Edgewood front bags with the leather sides stay supple longer than the all leather or all fabric bags. I think the leather sides are why.......maybe someone knows where to get buckministerfullerite.................

Last edited by a moderator:
All that having been said

I have been wondering lately if LOP of the stock might be one of the culprits in things not going well "On the bench". I am wondering if perhaps if one has to lay over their rifle to shoot that might lend itself to what seems to be bag problems.

Back