Hangfires in 6X47L?

J

Jay Idaho

Several friends are getting hangfires with their 6X47s. Lapua 6.5X47 brass, CCI 400, Re15, 105 Bergers, jamming about .010. Remington 700s, some Rem bolts, some Kiff bolts. .050 protrusion, springs over 22#, Rem triggers, go +.002-.003 headspace, clearance under cocking piece after firing so they are not bottoming out.
Some of the hangfires seem really long (but they always do, I think). I've run out of ideas.
Other friends using H4350 with CCI 450, Fed 205s, are having no problems.

Any ideas?

Jay, Idaho

I doubt it applies but I recently had 7 out of 30 FTF using CCI 450s, Lapua brass, H4350, 108 Berger's. I'm figuring its a bad batch of primers, actually a friend told me that's what he attributed his FTFs to so I'm assuming the same.
vinny

No.

I'm just reporting what others have said, though it seems to me that if primers don't go bang when they should, they have a sensitivity problem.

Why not check out from the horse's mouth? 866-286-7436

Try drilling the bleeping flash holes. I notice that west coast shooters seem to like the small flash hole; midwest shooters -- esp those in Iowa -- seem to get better results with .070 or .080 flash holes in the 6.5x47 Lapua case. Nothing scientific about it, maybe only who is squawking.

Can you elaborate on "Sensitivity"? I don't understand how it applies to FTFs. Do you mean the primers aren't sensitive enough?:confused:

I've got a .223 AI that with CCI 400's only about 30-40% of rounds fired while fireforming cases. A switch to WSR's cured the problem 100%. After the cases were fireformed the CCI's worked just fine though.

Jay,

Before you drill those flash holes try just changing to a hotter primer like the CCI 450 that you mention in your post. I think the 6.5x47 case is right on the capacity line for large/small primer choice. Milder ignition can give better accuracy, until you get hangfires. Tubb decided to use a large primer in his similar volume 6-XC case. His design objective was different than absolute ultimate accuracy and it shows in the indifferent benchrest accuracy that case delivers compared to 6BR, BRX and Dasher, but you'll never have a hangfire either. With the small primer pocket and relatively large capacity you will probably be better served with a Small Rifle Magnum primer.

Greg

I've got a .223 AI that with CCI 400's only about 30-40% of rounds fired while fireforming cases. A switch to WSR's cured the problem 100%. After the cases were fireformed the CCI's worked just fine though.

Perhaps too much headspace in a virgin piece?

No.

I'm just reporting what others have said, though it seems to me that if primers don't go bang when they should, they have a sensitivity problem.

Why not check out from the horse's mouth? 866-286-7436

Thanks.

cci br4

200 rounds not one hang fire or ftf with new brass and a large chamber. h4350 or rl17 and 19 between 40 and 42g

I vote for opening those flash-holes up. :eek::eek: I've been shooting wild-cats, using Remington 308UBR (small primer pockets) for about thirty years now - up to the size of the full case capacity - never experienced a hang/mis-fire . . . not even while coyote hunting is sub ZERO temps, using H-4831, Win 785 (long gone:(), H-380, etc. .:eek:

Take 5 sacrificial cases and open the pockets - then compare the chronograph results to un-modified flash-hole brass - I'd bet on observing improved standard deviation. :D RG

I have had the same problem here with cci primers.Went to brake in my barrel last weekend an out of 20 rounds had 4 hang fires an one that didnt go off.Talked to the folks at hodgdon friday an they told me to get some federal or winchester primers.

Thanks for all of the good advice.

So many good ideas and possible reasons for hangfires have been offered. I've passed the info on the the shooters with the problem. But the info will be used by me when I start working with the 6x47L in a few months. So much good info offered so willingly, great folks on a great board.

Jay, Idaho

Jay,
I've got three 6x47Ls, and after seeing somewhat larger ES numbers while chrono testing in cool temps (38*F-45*F) than what I'm used to seeing during the summer, have begun to understand why David Tubb decided to go with the large primer pocket in his 6XC. I typically use Data 86 or N160, but have done some testing with RL17 & H4831SC. My preferrence is the Rem 7-1/2, as it's one of the hottest small rifle primers available, and it gives consistent & accurate performance. I've tried F205Ms, Wolf SRM, & CCI 450s, but went right back to the 7-1/2.

I used to shoot CCIs in rifles, but not.......

any more. Went to Rem 7 1/2 & 9 1/2s then Winchesters. Remingtons & Winchesters seem to give the most reliable, and accurate, performance for me.;)

Back