handloaders log

M

mwg

I need some ideas on handloaders logs
what do you use, what should be in the log
do I buy one (which are any good) or develop one?

thanks
MWG

Create one in MS Access.

Keep a load lot# (the table key), # of cartridges loaded, brass info (brand, lot#, trim, sizing and anneal info), primer info, bullet info, powder info, seating depth, comments and any other info you think is worthy.

I keep accuracy and velocity data in separate tables, joined by the load lot#. The load lot# incorporates cartridge identification, making it easy to see what caliber I'm dealing with (6BR, 223, etc.)

When you keep data in a DB, it makes multivariate analysis so much easier.

i'm new but.....

Since I work in front of a laptop all day long, I just use EXCEL. It's simple, and I know it very well. It’s also very customizable in case I decide I need to add “THIS OR THAT” in column 4. I'm sure I’m leaving a lot of info out, but this is what I use for load development and to keep an accurate round count on my rifles. 1 flaw to my system hinges on the fact that I do not load at the range, and I load at home on my bench (I do keep all my targets so there are notes taken on the bench). So in order to get an accurate round count of my barrel, I take the number on the sheet, minus the rounds still left unfired in cases.

I'm in no way saying this is the best, just the way I do it. I work from home, so my loading room and my office are the same room. This comes in handy for those long drawn out conference calls. I can be prepping brass while sitting on a call with the mute button on. I'm sure there are others on here that will give you more/better advice.

I have attached a sample copy of one tab (I have a seperate tab for each rifle and/or barrel) I have for the new 1:14 twist 6br I bought from a guy a few months ago.

Attachments

• sample 6br.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 752
I use Excell too. Here are a couple of examples. Its easy to change things around to put in the info you think you need.

Attachments

• Load Sheet Blank.xls
    29 KB · Views: 773
  • Load Database.xls
    68.5 KB · Views: 661
Back