Hand held diesel engine

At one time you could buy a diesel conversion for the Cox .049 motors. This was a head with a screw-in combustion chamber. You spun the motor with an electric starter and screwed the combustion chamber up or down until the motor started [ while at the same time tinkering with the needle valve ].

Amazing.
My question is where was the oil and oil pan for the lubrication?

It is amazing if it really functioned.

I believe it is being spun by compressed air through what many might think is the fuel line.

Think about just what timing needs to be accomplished; such as cam, crank shaft, fuel.

How were the cam shafts ground?

How was all this timing accomplished with those three gears on the front of the engine, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It is still an amazing accomplishment just to spin-up.

It is amazing if it really functioned.

I believe it is being spun by compressed air through what many might think is the fuel line.

Think about just what timing needs to be accomplished; such as cam, crank shaft, fuel.

How were the cam shafts ground?

How was all this timing accomplished with those three gears on the front of the engine, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It is still an amazing accomplishment just to spin-up.

John, listen to the end of the video again... that darn thing was running. I listen to diesels e3very day. That was NOT just air moving

I listen to them run every day to. and i would be amazed if it was actually running.. first thing i see is now way to compress enough air to ignite the fuel..I see no fuel managment system.. the tell is no smoke from exhaust.. if its hot enough to ignite the fuel there would be smoke.. but is very cool.. and dont know what it is running on if its running..ever stand between two 50 liters diesel engines running wide open at 2000 RPM. its preaty cool..scary..

I listen to them run every day to. and i would be amazed if it was actually running.. first thing i see is now way to compress enough air to ignite the fuel..I see no fuel managment system.. the tell is no smoke from exhaust.. if its hot enough to ignite the fuel there would be smoke.. but is very cool.. and dont know what it is running on if its running..ever stand between two 50 liters diesel engines running wide open at 2000 RPM. its preaty cool..scary..

I have the same doubts. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing feat what this guy has done. But I doubt it's running on diesel. I can't see how he has the compression ratio high enough to produce the heat to combust the diesel plus I see no fuel delivery system on the engine. A diesel will take quite a bit more atomization of the fuel than a carburetor can produce.

Mark, I don't know what engines are 50 liters, but I know they're big. I just know about some 3500 hp EMD's in some BIG lonh haul tow boats. As you said, scary.

Roy

On my boat we have 2 3000 hp EMD's. !2 cylinders apiece at 710 cubic in. per cyl. 900 rpm !00 percent load for 24 hours 7000 gals. diesel per day.

An abandoned sawmill near where I used to fly fish was run by an old Clydeside marine diesel. The pistons were around 8" diameter & the stroke was just on a foot. I can't recall if it was six or 10 cylinders, but anyway, that would come in somewhere between 60is & 100ish litres.

When I worked on drilling rigs a few Superior diesel engines came into the shop from barges in the gulf.
They had very large pistons and I really enjoyed hearing them run after they were rebuilt.

Glenn

Back