Hand gun

For best performance the powder used depends on the bullet weight and composition and barrel length and the velocity desired.

The best advice I can give you is to consult a loading manual.

I agree with dennis.
There are many powders that will allow you to reload for both caliber's.
But to ask which one is best is a very vague question. That is sort of like a person who is looking for a race car just asking, 'What is the best car' Then a guy who is focusing on a commuter answers back, 'the AMC Pacer'.
Then you have to deal with the problem that the guy who answers you may not know what he is talking about.
I don't reload for 38 special of 357 since I spend my time shooting BR.
But I will give it a guess. I think that H870 might be a good choice.

I use 13.5 gr vihtavuori n110 with 158gr speer gold dot in 357.
and 6.8gr vihtavuori 3n37 with 125 gr speer gold dot for 38 special

Sorry

I just did the same thing that gets my dander up on the centerfire forums, someone asking a question without any information.
I'll probably be shooting 158gr bullets in 357 and maybe around 125gr for the 38, light loads for the 38 to keep the recoil down for my wife to play with.
Do I use magnum primers for the 357 and regular small pistol primers for the 38 load? The gun is a Ruger KGP141 with a 4" barrel.

Dan Honert

I just did the same thing that gets my dander up on the centerfire forums, someone asking a question without any information.
I'll probably be shooting 158gr bullets in 357 and maybe around 125gr for the 38, light loads for the 38 to keep the recoil down for my wife to play with.
Do I use magnum primers for the 357 and regular small pistol primers for the 38 load? The gun is a Ruger KGP141 with a 4" barrel.

Dan Honert

Std primers should work for both. Look at Unique for a powder choice.

I have used alot of Unique, works great for the 38 special, Universal or Titegroup is a great powder for the 357, works great in the 38 as well.

Another to try is Clays for the 38 special.

I use a lot of WW 231 for light and cast bullet loads, but Unique can be used across the board in a lot of things and has always given me very good accuracy. It use to have a bad reputation as being very dirty but the new version is suppose to be better. I never thought it was bad. Someone asked on another forum if they had only one powder what would it be. For handguns I said Unique.

With Cast 150gr bullets I use 3gr of Clays in my 38 and 4gr in my 357.

Back