Had a call today from a new shooter....

MColeman

Club Coordinator
that expressed an interest in another Tony Boyer school. It's been a few years since he was at Rachel's Glen and I don't have a clue if there are enough shooters interested to try to get another one going. I'd think we would need at least 10 shooters to make it worthwhile.

I make the range available at no cost to the shooter or to Tony. One thing a new shooter may not realize is that you have Tony all to yourself for the day and it's the most exhaustive examination of your equipment, loading, set up and shooting style/habits you can imagine. It's a full day.

If there is any interest just chime in and we'll see if we can put one together.

Mickey...

There are two Louisiana shooters who are interested in the school. Both talked to Tony at the SS. I am sure that they would rather go to AL than VA. Thnaks, James Mock

We may be getting close to the magic number. I'll call Tony and see what he thinks.
Stay tuned.

Just got off the phone with Tony and he can't do it this year. He's building a house and is tied up.

He told me that he's only teaching at his home because he charges $400/day now and by the time he adds his expenses to that it's getting really expensive for the shooter. I'd have to say that it doesn't look too promising at this point. Sorry, guys.

Mick, that's a barrel an chamber job.............. still cheaper to spend all day with Mr. Boyer!!! Do they have camping spots at the range? Think about it, all day with Tony an you'd have the pictures to prove it, not to mention what you've learned!!

Jeff Aberegg

Mick, that's a barrel an chamber job.............. still cheaper to spend all day with Mr. Boyer!!! Do they have camping spots at the range? Think about it, all day with Tony an you'd have the pictures to prove it, not to mention what you've learned!!

Jeff Aberegg
Jeff,
I ain't the hold up, Tony is. Maybe we can put it together next spring. I do have camping w/ 30 amp hookups and water at the range. I'll keep in touch with Tony through the winter and see if he'll do it.

Had a call from a good friend today and he is of the opinion that many seasoned shooters can tell you what Tony will tell you. What sets Tony apart is his exhaustive search for cause and effect plus his bear trap memory.

While a bullet may fly out of a group with me and I just assume that I missed a condition Tony will want to know for a certainty just why the bullet did not go into the group and he won't quit until he discovers the reason. Tony possesses a competitive spirit and drive seldom seen in many people. Larry Bird had these qualities.

Let me say this: There are no gadgets, no bullets, no scope, no powder, no barrel, no action, no trigger, no rest or any other material thing that a shooter may buy that will transform him into another Tony Boyer. None! The sooner a shooter realizes this the sooner he can get on with learning how to shoot. Tony shoots every day that he possibly can and until a shooter is willing to pay that price he ain't going to be another Tony Boyer.

No matter how much some may disbelieve in the existence of hummer barrels I promise you they do exist. It's the lucky shooter that gets one and is able to recognize it when he does. I went for 12 years without knowing how to tune a rifle.

We can hold a benchrest school at Rachel's Glen if y'all want to and we can get enough good shooters to hold sessions just like the IBS did a few years back. The range is available at no cost if y'all want to do that.

For a new shooter I would suggest these things:

1. Get a mentor that knows something about benchrest and
2. Get them to teach you an orderly method of tuning a barrel
3. Get some good wind flags
4. Learn to accept and give up on a barrel that won't shoot no matter how few rounds you have on it.
5. Learn when to start your condition
6. Practice all that you can

There is a cost associated with being a top level benchrest competitor and there are no shortcuts. Accept it and live with it.

Let me know if y'all want to have a NBRSA Benchrest School at Rachel's Glen and we will make it happen.

Mickey,

Let me just say....It says a lot about a person who says he has lost the motivation to shoot competitive benchrest but still will put forth the effort to help new shooters and grow the sport. I commend you.

Hovis

Learning benchrest

I have to agree with MColeman. For someone just starting in benchrest a good session for a whole weekend running throught the basics and shooting under guidance would be invaluable. However anyone in the top 50 ast SS for an example can supply that knowledge. It would be more up to the teaching skill of each individual. On the other hand each of those top 50 could probably learn something from Mr Boyer as they have the foundation to build upon and absorb the extra bit of skil he had to offer. But at that stage I assume it is mostly a matter of time, practice and dedication.

When starting golfing one does not wait until he gets one on one session with Tiger Woods. One accepts the knowledge and skill of some lesser golfer who would be light years ahead of the beginner anyway, and starts practicing.

Bergur

Back