H322 powder

Given you are referring to Hodgdons 322 Extreme powder, using 66 to 68 grain bullets, in Lapua cases:
A good starting load is 27.5 grains
A maximum load would be around 29 grains
It performs as well as any powder as long as you take the time to learn to use it to its full potential.

LE Hanson

H322 in the 6ppc?
What is a good starting load? How hot can you go with it?
How well does it perform?

You might want to ask goodgrouper he shot the only 0 group of the weekend last weekend in Logan,Ut. using H322 (think it was a .092)

Dont know the load but it works better in cool temps than hot temps

Dont know the load

I don't either! To tell the truth, I was using a load so light to shoot that group and the agg that it is off the bottom of my tested weight chart! All I know is that it was 47.5 clicks and it was probably somewhere around 3100 fps or less. But it was less wind sensitive than the loads that were going 300 fps faster that weekend. 50 clicks shot dots too but didn't afford the same wind bucking that 47.5 clicks did. Several times (especially at 200) I pulled the trigger just as the flags did a 180 (easy to do in 20mph fishtails) and I thought it sent my bullet one or two rings out. I was amazed when I looked through the scope that the shot went right in the group anyhow. Couldn't get that with hot loads that weekend...........

All I know is that it was 47.5 clicks and it was probably somewhere around 3100 fps or less. But it was less wind sensitive than the loads that were going 300 fps faster that weekend. 50 clicks shot dots too but didn't afford the same wind bucking that 47.5 clicks did. Several times

Agreed.. Not just with H322 but with ALL powders... Was shooting my 22ppc recently and through >some< frustration in "1-2 bullet width lost shots" in the start of a switch (very switch day on a typically switchy range), I cranked the measure DOWN one whole number down........ 1/2 - 1 bullet width was the norm, giving an Agg reduction of around .150 (pretty sobering!)... At about 200fps less vel but the groups got more ROUND, no more than a bullets width of vertical @ 100 AND 200.... Similar to Groupers finding...

Kinda mistifing!

Not to hijack, Mark......... Keep 322 down.... Mostly ignore the vel, loads in the 26.5-28gr range is typically solid........ Watch the paper and practice on as many different condition days as possible, wind speed / directions... Temp and Humidity swings... It's capable... Except in flat out cold weather, I have found topping 28.5gr to just get "splatter" groups and pretty clicky bolt during Summer heat...

good luck,
cale

I'd start out at about 26.5 grs. and work up to a maximum of 28.5 grs. I'm presently shooting about 28 grs. in two barrels.

I have also been shooting some puff loads of that military so called 8208 with much better results. 27gr of the stuff does better in the wind by far compared to 29gr. I have been shooting in the mornings before work, and in the evening after work learning this powder, and less is more!! Lee

Some of you may had seen that i had some of this 8208 powder for sale a few weeks ago. I though since i had so much of it i would sell some to purchase some n133. I ended up keeping it, and i am glad i did. I am learning to like this powder very much!

Thanks for the info guy's..Hun if you kind of think about it I fireformed some new cases with H322..bullet jamed.
and what's that like 26Gr's..well it was windy and i did not care because i was just fireforming some cases, and you sure know the velocity is low.
well with out really trying shot some nice little groups, one of them had 4 in the same hole and one just opened it up to @.200..
I just picked up a one pound can to try some, since i was out.

Ok here is a question? If you were to show up at a match where you did not have time to tune the rifle
and you were going to shoot H322 at 9am..where would you seat the bullet?
My plan is to pre load 8 rounds of three charges, say 27.5,28.0,28.5 to test on the sighter but im not sure where to set
the bullet, lightly touching, then possible test next target out further, ?

Last edited:
Ok here is a question? If you were to show up at a match where you did not have time to tune the rifle
and you were going to shoot H322 at 9am..where would you seat the bullet?
My plan is to pre load 8 rounds of three charges, say 27.5,28.0,28.5 to test on the sighter but im not sure where to set
the bullet, lightly touching, then possible test next target out further, ?

JMOP....

If a 4 groove cut barrel, go in to a light mark then pull back to >just< no mark (.001 - .003 off).. Tunes for me real consistently in 4 groove cut barrels.... But... Had a great Krieger few years ago that LOVED .005 jump OR LOVED .005 IN.. In between these two, it was FUSSY..!
In button rifled 5 / 6 groove, kind of the opposite... Go in to a mark juuuust presents itself then work in a .001 at a time...

Most here on BRC will say a mark half the width of the lands and tune the powder and or tuner....... Not bad advice and does work well in most barrels. With time being short during the warm-up, I'd say a light mark and .3 of a grain increments from 27.0 with 3 shots at a time.... I'd suspect that you'll see round hole if the conditions arn't too weird....
If vertical and continues as you go up, then go sub 27.0...

cale

Thanks guy's, great info..goodgrouper and caroby you were spot on..28.5 was splater groups, 26-26.5 grs was was just hammering at 200 yrds in some sporting conditions and later in the heat 28.0 gr was good for .180 something at 100 yrds..I like it..

Thanks guy's, great info..goodgrouper and caroby you were spot on..28.5 was splater groups, 26-26.5 grs was was just hammering at 200 yrds in some sporting conditions and later in the heat 28.0 gr was good for .180 something at 100 yrds..I like it..

Glad it worked for you!:)

I shot the exact range of loads this wk, w/H322 extreme, using 68 Bart BT, 27.8 & 28.2 gave best results. Hi .2's to hi .3's , 4shot groups @ 200yd (16 brass was all I had for that barrel) 29.0 groups above .5". Had similar results w/friends Bat
Given you are referring to Hodgdons 322 Extreme powder, using 66 to 68 grain bullets, in Lapua cases:
A good starting load is 27.5 grains
A maximum load would be around 29 grains
It performs as well as any powder as long as you take the time to learn to use it to its full potential.

LE Hanson

Back