gunstock duplicators

mike cockcroft

Looking for rifle stock duplicator information. Radar Carve has one for $1185.00 and Gemini has one for $6975. Whats available between these two. Anyone have experience with these or other dupicators that they can share advice about?
Mike C

Dakota Arms makes (least they used to) a very, very, very nice duplicator. One of the best in fact.

Richard Spruill would be the POC to speak with.

Good luck.

C

Do a search over on the AccurateReloading.com forums in the Gunsmithing area. Them good old boys use the heck out of them.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

John in LV

The first thread over there is a beauty.... dude's showing a stock build old school, handwork, and about at the end of the first page he's fitting the skeleton buttplate. I submit that Mr Les is prone to understatement as I find this description to be droll. "Complete inletting and drill for the screws."

Contained in this liddle sentence is about a week's work for the average guy ;)

Lovely documentary

al

I would choose carefully when buying a duplicator. Rigidity, balance and weight are your friends here especially when doing the inletting portion for the action and barrel to avoid gaps. Almost any good quality router motor or spindle will provide enough power to cut with but you really need the weight and control to do the fine work required to do a good job of finishing and save yourself a ton of work on the backside of your duplicated stock. I've heard pretty good things about the Dakota duplicator if you can get your hands on one, but the Gemini is borderline for rigid and I'd avoid the Radar alltogether. You can get it done with the Gemini but it will take a little longer than a better grade of machine so I guess it depends on if you want to make it pay for itself or you just want to use it for hobby stock duplicating.

Last edited:
Alinwa,
Les is from our area and he is a very nice talented individual. He usually shows uo for the Shilen Swap Meet. It will be in March. Haven't set an exact date yet. Mike you might email gunmaker[James Anderson] at chico@sdplains.com. He worked at Dakota during the Don Allen era. That was when top quality products were being produced there. If James will send you photos of his it is a much improved version of Don Allen's machine. I understand that Mike Kokolus was closing down and he may have 2 machines for sale. His only business was duplicating for stockmakers.
Butch

Thanks to all who replied. Went to accurate reloading and read the posts. Lots of good info.
Butch
Hope to make the Shilen swap meet this year.
Mike

Back