Gtb 30 cal bullets

X

XPER

I have a bunch of GTB 30 caliber bullet and would like some information please.What the value is and in there is any interest in them. Thank you xper

I have a bunch of GTB 30 caliber bullet and would like some information please.What the value is and in there is any interest in them. Thank you xper

GTB bullets are TOP Drawer - they should not be difficult to move. They are made by Bob Carterucio (Sp?), probably using Sierra jackets. They should be worth the 'going rate' for quality hand swaged bullets. RG

Not sure about those jackets. Are you sure sierra?
Bob was the only other distributor for j4 jackets years ago.
He makes fine bullets and has been for a very long time.

Not sure about those jackets. Are you sure sierra?
Bob was the only other distributor for j4 jackets years ago.
He makes fine bullets and has been for a very long time.

Bob was (is?) a distributor for Sierra jackets - on the occasions when I have purchased Sierra jackets, it was necessary to place the order through Bob.
I am not aware that he ever distributed J-4s, as I have always purchased J-4s through Walt Berger (when he was in Pheonix, and distributed them), or, later, following the Spivco, Inc. purchase of Berger Bullets, and subsequent sale to Caran, Inc., directly from Berger/J-4. RG

An xper is an old guy that dont p no more, I have been collecting XP-100s for the last 30 years. I will dig out the GTBs and reply with the requested bullet information
Thanks xper

Ok so sierra jackets.''
I do Remember him being on the J4 list. { Now get ready {This was in the 70,s ] . J4 was offering distributorships to people,
Of course that's when J4 was owned by the original owner.
They were looking for distributors across the country.
I was always under the impression that his bullets were made on J4 .
LOOK,s LIKE I'M WRONG'
MY Friend TONY VARENGO was offered one , but turned it down due to the investment $$$
His bullets still are excellent

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 272 GTB 135 gr bullets and 460 Speedy O 125 gr 8-S and 122 Speedey G 168 gr 8-S bullets. xper

Randy. . .

are Sierra and J4 the only manufacturers of jackets? Why are no other entreprenturs jumping in? Who makes military jackets?

are Sierra and J4 the only manufacturers of jackets? Why are no other entreprenturs jumping in? Who makes military jackets?

If there are others, I'm unaware of them. During the great jacket shortage of '94', I tried to get an uncle intersted in drawing jackets - especially when weighed against the potential market, the start-up cost was outrageous, so he declined!:eek:;) Considering the quality of J4 jackets, and the almost complete lack of competition, I think Berger/J4 does a good job of keeping the cost reasonable. As my mentor, [the late] Guy Chism admonished, " a wise bullet maker maintains a BIG inventory." This is one field where the J.I.T. hypothisis just doesn't 'cut it'. ;) Having followed Guy's advice, there are times when I'm out of an item or, two, but have never been completely "belly-up".:eek:

I'm not unhappy paying a reasonable price for the QUALITY which Berger/J4 maintains. We're not talking about a HUGE pie here - dividing it could prove bad for quality, not to mention availability. I'd rather have a reliable vendor, who can make enough margin to be around next year . . . and well into the future, as opposed to having to wonder when I can get another batch of acceptable jackets. Walt Berger, Eric Stecker, and the rest of the J4 team, provide a QUALITY product at a reasonable price . . . and usually, within a reasonable time.

Hopefully, as they increase their market share in the BIG world, Berger/J4 will remain committed to providing high quality jackets to the cottage industry (custom) bullet makers, and not consider us a pie-gobbling, share-splitting nuisance. :eek::D RG

Back