GS Bullets

C

Curt NCP

I was wondering if anyone had tried their bullets? Specificaly the 6mm 83 gr SP in the Dasher at 600 yds. Are solid copper bullets legal for competition? Thanks Curtis

Last edited by a moderator:
GS Custom

They are legal in NBRSA but I don't know anybody shooting them in competition.
If you get a chance can you meaure the meplat as close to the tip as possible and let me know what you get.
I think Henry Childs was playing around with the Lost River solids in 6mm and trimming the meplats back was a necessity to get good accuracy out of them.I can check my files if need be but I am thinking 0.035 at the meplat was what made them shoot best.
I remember them being sharp like a pin as received but even trimmed back I never shot them in a match.
Lynn
P.S. Just for clarification when I said they need to be trimmed back that makes the meplat larger in diameter.

Last edited:
At almost a buck a pop it's hard to justify the cost. I whipped out a few made from brass on the CNC but they would not stabilize. I had some discussions with knowledgeable people and they don't think a sharp point is the way to go. I have the machine to make them on so if anyone has a copper mine let's get together. Don

Lynn

Yes they are pointy, They use driving bands? that engages the rifling, and supposed to be able to hit 3400-3500 fps without high pressure. I bought some to see if that speed is possible. starting w/ H4895 as powder but just too cold at the moment to go to the range, 0 degrees this am. Thanks for the input on trimming idea if I don't get what I'm looking for in accuracy. At that speed it is about 500 fps faster than the 106-108 lead bullets I normally shoot. Looking at their website gscustom.co.za it looks as they were getting pretty good accuracy from regular rifles. Curtis

If you have to trim the bullets back because they are to pointy then why do polymer tipped bullets shoot?

Trouble and Curt

Trouble
If you took a polymer tipped bullet and ran it across your hand it would tickle.If you did the same thing with a monolithic solid you would need stitches.The tip on some of the solids is the same as a pin or knife blade.
The manufacturers know people like big BC numbers and by making the meplats sharp like a pin they can get some pretty impressive numbers to print on the box.The problem is that they sacrifice accuracy looking for higher BC numbers.When you cut the meplat down to resemble that of a ballistic tip or bronze point they start grouping much better.

Curt
The driving bands help to reduce the friction and bullet engraving forces.
Most barrels are set-up for jacketed lead core bullets so the land to groove ratio is actually pretty high because a copper jacket over a lead core is kind of soft.
On a solid bullet you don't need the lands to engrave the bullet as much because they are harder so alot of 50 caliber barrels and those used for the 408 Chey-Tac rounds have shallower grooves in them.It keeps the hot gases from escaping around the edge of the bullet and cutting the throat out too quickly.
On the 50 bmg bullets they make what is called a borerider design.The lands are 0.510 and the grooves are 0.512 in diameter.The front of the bullet is made to be 0.510 in diameter so it doesn't engrave the lands at all it rides on top of them hence the name borerider.They then have a large waste band or area of the bullet that is 0.504 in diameter that doesnn't touch anything in the barrel at all.Picture a hour glass in your head and the waste band will be the little pinched off area.
Now at the rear of the bullet they will have a driving band that is 0.512 in diameter that engraves the lands.It is typicaly only a 0.250 long.You end up with a very long bullet generaly well over 2 inches in length with only a quarter inch of it being engraved.
Lynn

Back