grizzly 0509G w/dro

woodbutcher

I received shipment of a Grizzly 0509G gunsmithing lathe with dro and taper attachment. I was reading the instructions for the dro and it noted the unit is not impervious to coolant. This concerns me a little even though I mostly machine dry with carbide inserts. I am thinking I might ought to go with a Newall before I install the Grizzly. Any comments or actual experience with these units?

I have one of their DROs (3 axis, spindle) on my Grizzly G9027 9X42 bridgeport clone. It has been flawless, and has some very nice functionality, especially for the price. I did have some trouble with the clarity of the manual regarding making arcs, but they sent me an update, and all is well. I can't imagine going back to a mill without a DRO. The scales are definitely not coolant-proof, so you'll have to make that decision as to install them or not. I can say that I haven't installed a DRO on my Grizzly lathe yet, as I use a high pressure flush system when chambering. A coolant rated DRO would be mandatory. The current cost of coolant proof DROs offsets any benefits at this point, in my situation.

Cheers,

Chris Long
www.the-long-family.com

http://www.bedair.org/Grizzly12x/DRO/GrizzlyDRO.html

Mr. Bedair uses coolant with his G4003G lathe and I don't think the Meister DRO scales he uses are coolant proof. Cross slide scale is mounted on tail stock side. I installed the Grizzly DRO (Which is an Easson DRO) on my G4003G the same way Mr. Bedair mounted his Meister. I don't use flood coolant, but have used a mister and the scale being mounted behind the cross slide was fine.

Newall

I have Newal DRO's on my lathe, and mill and the scales on the Newall are coolant proof. I have found them to be fantastic and good value for money. Ian

Back