greasy .22lr ammo ?

dansig

I just bought a Sig Sauer P226 X-five 9mm with a .22lr kit, this is my first pistol so I'm not sure what is normal and what is not..

I have a .22lr single shot rifle and had some ammo for it that I grabbed with me to the range to try
all the .22lr rifle ammo that I had was clean and dry, I also got a box of Lapua Pistol Match ammo and that was all greasy in the box.

as a benchrest shooter I like my ammo and firearm clean and grease free except for the bolt, so should the pistol ammo be greasy or not ?

the gun cycled all ammo well without any major problems, a couple jams out of 200 rounds and that was both the cheapest ammo I had.

I can't complain about accuracy as this is my first pistol, I have been shooting Compound bow for a few months and that has helped me with aiming and keeping steady, this is shot with Lapua X-Act, the most accurate shots I had today at the range.

sauer.jpg

In the "old" days, most 22 rimfire ammo had wax applied to the lead bullets--they were "waxy" not "greasy." When they started coating bullets with a copper alloy wash some of the ammo companies stopped applying wax. Now, there are quite a few brands that are wax free.

There have been millions and millions of waxed bullets fired in 22s over the years. For target shooters, waxing is no problem as the ammo can go directly from the box into the rifle. For "plinkers" and hunters, waxed ammo is a pain as the wax comes off easily and sticks to other surfaces, and picks up dirt and crud.

this wasn't wax on the ammo, it was like it was spray lubed with case lube, when loading the magazine my hands got oily so I needed to wipe them on a rag with asetone before I could shoot..

i don't mind getting my hands dirty but I do mind when it comes down to my guns, they must be clean at all times...

greasy 22 ammo

Yes but the greasy ammo shoot way better then a lot of the others.
The trick is to get some at a reasonable price. Its out of sight for some shooters.

the greasy ammo was Lapua Pistol King, it didn't shoot nearly as good as Lapua X-Act that's clean and dry.

so I'll stick to X-Act even if it's ridiculously expensive, and use some cheap and clean ammo for plinking...

Back