Getting Started

kujones

Kjones
I would like to shoot benchrest and have enough equipment (rifle, sand bags, front bipod) to get started but anticipate upgrading a lot of equipment (rifle, scope, sand bags, front tripod) in a year or so. I'm on a budget and I've read enough of these blogs to start with a Savage, either their bench rest rifle or long-range varminter in 6MM BR but what about scope, front tripod, sand bags? Is a spotting scope a neccesity or luxury?
Is their a good "getting started" book available?

Kujones

The forum that you logged onto represents what we call Benchrest, with a capitol "B".

Allow me to explain the difference. When shooters build a really nice Rifle, using quality components, and simply wish to go to the range on week ends and shoot small groups, (usually to campare with your shooting buddies), that is what we call benchrest with a small "b". This can be very rewarding, gaining the bragging rights on any occasion is a worthwhile endevour.

When we start talking about Benchrest with a capitol "B", what we are referring to are very specific Rifles, assembled with the sole intent of competing in a Match Arena, under a set of rules set forth by a Sanctioning Body. The Rifles that are used in Benchrest have evolved into pieces of equipment that are very singular in purpose. What they are designed do, they do better than anything on the Planet. Away from that, they arerather useless.

I think you are still at the "benchrest" stage. While a Savage is a very accurate Factory Rifle, it is in no way a "Benchrest Rifle".

I wouls suggest that you get a copy of Glenn Newicks book, "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy". It is a bit dated in it's equipment list, but there is a wealth of information contained that will give you a very goodidea as to what "Benchrest" is all about.

Or even better, try to attend a real Benchrest Match. This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe a million.

Do you have any local clubs that hold what we call informal Club Matches. If so, they will in all likely hood have classes that allow any body that has something that goes "bang" to shoot, and experiece what Benchrest can be like. .........jackie

KU
If you are looking forward to shooting Benchrest then this is the right place.
Welcome
For F-class shooting a bipod is sometimes used but for Benchrest at just about all ranges Bipods are not normally used.

Normally we use a mechanical rest.
IF you go to this websight you will be able to see some of the different rigs and rests as well as some of the folks who shoot.
Also with a Benchrest group gun like a light varmint, heavy varmint or sporter class gun which normally use 35 through 60 power scopes, a spotting scope is not neccessary.

http://www.benchshot.com/2009/06/03/cactus-classic-2009/

Also if you are in the Austin Tx Area we could meet at the range and I could get you oriented.
Ted

Here are some sources of information

http://www.precisionshooting.com/books.html may I suggest "The Bench Rest Shooting Primer" to let you know what you're up against, "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide" to get you started and "Rifle Accuracy Facts" if you want to know how it works.

There are others.

This board is a good source once you've generated specific questions.

al

I don't have $3,500 for a rifle $1,000 for a scope, etc, etc. When I visited the Tomball Gun Club last summer someone named Jackie said "come on out, we don't care what you shoot" Maybe I do mean "b"enchrest and not "B"enchrest but this is how you get new shooters into the fold.

If you will let us know what part of the country you are in we might be able to hook you up with another shooter or a range that could help you out.

As Jackie said, this board is dedicated to competition benchrest as practiced by NBRSA and IBS Benchrest Shooting Organizations.

Many local ranges hold informal benchrest shoots that include factory class rifles. My range in Birmiingham Alabama holds such a match the third Saturday each month where we allow both Benchrest and Factory rifles to shoot in separate classes. This is an excellant way to get an introduction to benchrest shootiing.

We have had a number of shooters start out shooting our factory class, then decide to move up to full blown Benchrest.

Benchrest shooters in NBRSA and IBS competition shoot custom built rifles built from custom actions and stocks, and mounting very high power scopes. The classes are Heavy Varmint (13.5 lbs), Light Varmint (10.5 lbs), Sporter (10.5 lbs, 6mm or larger caliber) and Unlimited (anything goes except muzzle brakes). When properly tuned these rifles are capable of shooting groups under .2 inches center to center for an aggregate of 25 shots. No factory rifle can come close to this performance.

Again, let us know where you live and we will try to help you find a place to get started.

I deal in harsh reality and truth. The truth is the only way to go whether it feels good or bad.
If you can't shell out the bucks for a proper rifle, scope, front rest, bag, custom bullets, powder measure, scale, and a long equipment list, then "B"enchrest is the wrong game for you. It will only get worse in the course of time. You are living in a dream world if you think you can be competitive without hours of practice, which means more ammo, more barrels, more scopes. If you aren't at least somewhat competitive you will tire of it all real fast.

If a guy named Jackie at Tomball said that, it's probably the guy who wrote the first reply on this thread. If so, I'm not quite sure why he tried to scare you away.

Take FBecugbeul's reply with a grain of salt. He's a bitter old yankee who was likely forced to eat grits against his will at some point! :D:D:D

Francis and Jackie are correct about full benchrest (capital B) being an expensive sport, but new shooters have to come from somewhere, and I've found they usually come from guys who have the accuracy bug, play around with benchrest handloading techniques, participate in factory class matches and finally bite the bullet and buy a full blown BR rifle along with the endless list of accessories that go with it. That's how I got started back in the mid-90's.

I started by shooting a Rem 700 VSS and reading Precision Shooting magazine. At the time I didn't know any benchrest shooters and didn't even know about the shoots in my own state. I found out about the shoots from an article I read in PS where the author had taken an AR-15 to a shoot in Fayette AL. I contacted the author and he gave me Mickey Coleman's phone number. When I contacted Mickey he basically told me what Jackie said in his reply to you, but invited me to come and take a look.

I had the accuracy bug, and the pinnacle of accuracy is BR, so it was inevitable I would wind up going all the way. I don't know if that will happen with you, but I certainly don't want to discourage you.

Again, let me know where you live and I'll try to give some advice on how to get started.

BTW...My previous post mentions a guy taking an AR-15 to a BR match. Don't interpret that to mean you can actually do it. This was a PS Writer who was doing it on a lark, and they happened to let him shoot it for a couple of aggs. If you are shooting a factory rifle you need to start competition at a club match that includes a factory class.

I am just getting started as well

If you look arround on here and in some other shooting sites you can find some realy good deals on used equipment that might make it a bit easier for you. I see a couple of good deals on here now but I already have a rifle. Also check with the local guys in your area, I have had offers to loan me gear. I bet after going to a match or 2 even just to talk and look at equipment you will be told about some used equipment locally.

That said you must be perpared for repair and replacement of scopes, barrels and components.

Steve; Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I was ready to move back to Sporting Clays or Golf or gardening. I thought that I made it clear that I want to get into benchrest (not "B"enchrest) as in START shooting at an ENTRY level.
I live in Houston, TX so the Tomball Gun Club is the closest range. I did attend a match last summer and saw people shooting almost anything bolt-action on bags and bipods and it looked like fun. I've read Newicks book and Warren Pages "The Accurate Rifle" and subscribed to Precision Shooting off and on. I've reloaded a lot of .220 Swift, .220 Wby Rocket, .270 Win, .300 H&H, .375 H&H and currently .270 WSM. I'll find a copy of "the Benchrest Primer" and next Spring or summer look into matches in Tomball or Austin.

kujones

If you attended one of our Club Matches at Tomball, then you know me. I was the guy running the show.

We will try to have the same schedule next year as this past year, with the same classes. You aready know how good a time the shooters have, and you know that what I said was true, if it goes "bang", you will be able to shoot.

There are no "gimmes", every class has evolved into a very competitive endevour.

We also have two NBRSA Registered Matches, (The Gulf Coast Region Ulimited and Heavy Varmint, and The Crawfish, which is Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint), plus we are adding two NBRSA Varmint for Score Matches. I will post all of the dates as soon as they are all set.........jackie

You don't need a $3500 dollar gun to get started. There are plenty of good used guns for sale in the $1800 range and some clubs such as the Austin Rifle club have a factory class.

Steve; Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I was ready to move back to Sporting Clays or Golf or gardening. I thought that I made it clear that I want to get into benchrest (not "B"enchrest) as in START shooting at an ENTRY level.
I live in Houston, TX so the Tomball Gun Club is the closest range. I did attend a match last summer and saw people shooting almost anything bolt-action on bags and bipods and it looked like fun. I've read Newicks book and Warren Pages "The Accurate Rifle" and subscribed to Precision Shooting off and on. I've reloaded a lot of .220 Swift, .220 Wby Rocket, .270 Win, .300 H&H, .375 H&H and currently .270 WSM. I'll find a copy of "the Benchrest Primer" and next Spring or summer look into matches in Tomball or Austin.

Sounds like shooting at the Tomball in factory class is the way for you to go for now. I noticed that Jackie Schmidt posted another reply...he knows his stuff and I'm sure will be glad to give advice. If you want to ask any questions about using BR handloading techniques with factory rifles I suggest you either post them on the Benchrest Forum (this is actually the Benchrest - Competition Only Forum), or you are welcome to email me. My email address is available by going to my profile page.

I suggest the following:

1. Check into what game you want to shoot. A lot of things depend on that choice.

2. Buy a used BR rifle on one of the custom actions. I paid $1,600 for mine with two good barrels. I've seen them for less, even. Check the classifieds here.

3. A Weaver T-36 scope will, at least, get you started. Again, check the classifieds. Lots of options, but good optics cost money.

4. Buy a used front rest. Depending on the game, you might want one with a "windage top".

5. You'll need rear bag. I bought a used mini-Gator and like it. The kind of ears that you want is dependent on the kind of stock your rifle has. Talk to people here, they'll do you right.

6. Reloading equipment:

6.1 I have a cheapo press and the very best dies. I think most people here will tell you it's the dies, not the press.

6.2 You'll also need a plethora of little things. Search the archives here, I think there is a good list.

7. Wind flags. Check the classifieds here. You can also make your own. Wind flags, wind indicators, lots of options.

8. Jump in and have fun. Try different things. It's one big, never ending experiment. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Greg J.

Good start....

Greg laid it out nice and clear in his post.

cale

Back