Getting started (or preparing to get started)

GeneT

Hope this is the right section to post this in. I'm a brand-spankin' noob to formal benchrest. I'm not afraid to be last in placing, but I'd like to get off to an appropriate start. That is, I don't want to be the guy shooting the .338 RUM hunting rifle off socks filled with dirt. So I'd appreciate your advice as to what someone willing to make a moderate investment should bring to the table. I know that's vague, but the definition of 'moderate' is part of my inquiry. What sort of kit should I assemble to get launched, in the right direction, for my first match?

Thanks much!

GsT

What kind of Benchrest shooting do you plan to do? Group, score, long range, etc...??

Hope this is the right section to post this in. I'm a brand-spankin' noob to formal benchrest. I'm not afraid to be last in placing, but I'd like to get off to an appropriate start. That is, I don't want to be the guy shooting the .338 RUM hunting rifle off socks filled with dirt. So I'd appreciate your advice as to what someone willing to make a moderate investment should bring to the table. I know that's vague, but the definition of 'moderate' is part of my inquiry. What sort of kit should I assemble to get launched, in the right direction, for my first match?

Thanks much!

GsT

Attend a match or two, of your probable discipline, and see what people are using, and what you are inclined to gravitate toward. Let people know what you're , "up to", and you'll likely be swamped with help! ;) It's not uncommon to find a decent rest, or, other hardware, at a bargain price. RG

What kind of Benchrest shooting do you plan to do? Group, score, long range, etc...??

Well, my local club no longer has a BR discipline, but I'd like to shoot Group, considering HV, but willing to be talked out of it if that's not a good place to begin. I'll definitely make it a plan to go visit a match sometime soon, but it'll be several hours drive. I've shot in other disciplines, and spectating is normally like watching paint dry, so if I decide to sign up, just for hoots, any tips on what to bring besides an accurate-ish rifle and my old Hart rest?

GsT

OK - You plan to shoot group Benchrest. Good deal!!

Get yourself a light varmint rifle in 6PPC. Make sure it weighs 10-1/2 lbs or less and shoots like the hammers of hell.

Go to a match and see what the other guys are doing before you buy the wrong stuff - ask questions but make your own decisions. You can go pre-loaded if you choose but that's a lot of cases. Make yourself a 2' X 4' table with folding legs and take whatever reloading stuff you have along with some clamps. In other words, make do as best you can for this first match.

Try to develop you equipment such that it takes less thinking, throughout the day, to get back to the firing line. Every time you think about something other than actual shooting is a detriment. To say that differently as well...some folks go to win and some folks go to look good. Your choice!

Thanks for the replies! I do appreciate every bit of input. To add some detail: any rifle I bring will be built by me. I have the gear and a reasonable amount of experience (though not with benchrest!) that I hope 'hammers of hell' is something I can do. If not, I'll try again. Everyone has their own reason for shooting, and building the rifle is a big part of my motivation. I don't mind losing a lot of matches (and I expect to!) as long as I'm learning and having a good time. I shoot in other disciplines, and I usually tell new guys not to worry about winning for some time. No matter how good you are, there are aspects to the game that simply must be learned - things you don't pick up outside the constraints of the rules. So I guess I won't be "coming to win" at least initially. That's not to say that I won't compete to the best of my ability, just that I don't have any absurd expectation that I'm going to show up and teach you guys how to shoot...

Thanks again for the replies!

GsT

Hi Gene,

Glad to hear that you want to give our sport a try.

Check out the match calendar at nbrsa.org for some dates of matches that within a reasonable (for BR shooting) distance...
La Grand OR
Tacoma WA
Sacramento, CA

The NorthWest Regional Director Dan Zacanti might have a few more details about contacts.

The advice about going to a match first has been the standard answer for years... if you let someone know that you're coming, they will round up plenty of gear and let (make!) you compete. Unlike some other shooting sports, having just an equipment list doesn't really help to understand the BR approach to gear. Seeing it in action will take out a bunch of the mysteries, and doing so before you start purchasing stuff could save you a bundle. I know 3 shooters here in my area that bought rifles to 'try it out' and never had that first rifle to a match before they were looking to upgrade. A moderate investment becomes a significant investment if you buy 'good enough', and then buy 'top shelf'. Formal BR is really about 'top shelf' accuracy and a visit to a match will quickly show you that even the most casual players usually sport very competitive equipment.

I've got some other posts on this site with newbie advice too. But, with all that said, here is my short list of gear, sort of a minimal check list of what most guys bring.

At the bench...

Light Varmint/Sporter class rifle (10.5# weight limit) in 6PPC caliber, probably built on a custom action (Bat,Kelbly,Stiller,Borden,Marsh,Farley,Hart,...) and the most popular configuration is a dual port design (loads from the left, ejects to the right).

Front Rest with a 3" wide bag to fit the rifle. Most popular are joystick versions like the Seb Neo, Seb Co-ax, and Farley front rests.

Rear Rest -- common versions are the Edgewood Original and Minigator bags and the Protektor Rabbit (not bunny) ear bags... filled with heavy sand.

Flags -- lots of options, see the many discussions of such on this forum. I build my own.

Miscellaneous: ear muffs, a timer, bolt grease, an ammo block, a thick towel or two for padding the concrete.

Other gear...
Most of us clean and reload between targets, so...

Loading Block
Case prep items: neck brush, small towel, 4-O steel wool, primer pocket tool
Calipers,
Resizing press & dies,
Powder measure,
Bullet seating press (usually a small arbor press with Wilson-style micrometer die),
Primer seater,
Die wax/lube
Components: Brass, bullets, primers, powder <== there be dragons here!

Cleaning gear:
Cleaning cradle -- something to hold the rifle
2 rods (1 with a .22 jag, 1 with a 6mm brush),
1-3/4 patches (fits a 6mm barrel with the .22 jag),
good BORE GUIDE(!),
Chemicals... (I use WipeOut and Accelerator now, but have gone through phases of Eliminator and Butch's BoreShine too. I also carry some iso-alcohol, Kroil, Rem-Oil, Brake Cleaner, and lighter fluid)
Chamber Mop (short cleaning rod with 45cal/.410 Mop fits a PPC chamber)

Some guys can carry all they need in a shoe box, while others (most!) need a 3/4T truck and trailer. There is no need to be able to chamber a barrel between targets, but you'd think that is what we do given the crap we haul.

Rod

Hi Gene,

Glad to hear that you want to give our sport a try.

Check out the match calendar at nbrsa.org for some dates of matches that within a reasonable (for BR shooting) distance...
La Grand OR
Tacoma WA
Sacramento, CA

The NorthWest Regional Director Dan Zacanti might have a few more details about contacts.

The advice about going to a match first has been the standard answer for years... if you let someone know that you're coming, they will round up plenty of gear and let (make!) you compete. Unlike some other shooting sports, having just an equipment list doesn't really help to understand the BR approach to gear. Seeing it in action will take out a bunch of the mysteries, and doing so before you start purchasing stuff could save you a bundle. I know 3 shooters here in my area that bought rifles to 'try it out' and never had that first rifle to a match before they were looking to upgrade. A moderate investment becomes a significant investment if you buy 'good enough', and then buy 'top shelf'. Formal BR is really about 'top shelf' accuracy and a visit to a match will quickly show you that even the most casual players usually sport very competitive equipment.

I've got some other posts on this site with newbie advice too. But, with all that said, here is my short list of gear, sort of a minimal check list of what most guys bring.

At the bench...

Light Varmint/Sporter class rifle (10.5# weight limit) in 6PPC caliber, probably built on a custom action (Bat,Kelbly,Stiller,Borden,Marsh,Farley,Hart,...) and the most popular configuration is a dual port design (loads from the left, ejects to the right).

Front Rest with a 3" wide bag to fit the rifle. Most popular are joystick versions like the Seb Neo, Seb Co-ax, and Farley front rests.

Rear Rest -- common versions are the Edgewood Original and Minigator bags and the Protektor Rabbit (not bunny) ear bags... filled with heavy sand.

Flags -- lots of options, see the many discussions of such on this forum. I build my own.

Miscellaneous: ear muffs, a timer, bolt grease, an ammo block, a thick towel or two for padding the concrete.

Other gear...
Most of us clean and reload between targets, so...

Loading Block
Case prep items: neck brush, small towel, 4-O steel wool, primer pocket tool
Calipers,
Resizing press & dies,
Powder measure,
Bullet seating press (usually a small arbor press with Wilson-style micrometer die),
Primer seater,
Die wax/lube
Components: Brass, bullets, primers, powder <== there be dragons here!

Cleaning gear:
Cleaning cradle -- something to hold the rifle
2 rods (1 with a .22 jag, 1 with a 6mm brush),
1-3/4 patches (fits a 6mm barrel with the .22 jag),
good BORE GUIDE(!),
Chemicals... (I use WipeOut and Accelerator now, but have gone through phases of Eliminator and Butch's BoreShine too. I also carry some iso-alcohol, Kroil, Rem-Oil, Brake Cleaner, and lighter fluid)
Chamber Mop (short cleaning rod with 45cal/.410 Mop fits a PPC chamber)

Some guys can carry all they need in a shoe box, while others (most!) need a 3/4T truck and trailer. There is no need to be able to chamber a barrel between targets, but you'd think that is what we do given the crap we haul.

Rod

this is a fantastic response!

Don't you steel wool
You don't need a primer to pocket cleaner

Coupla' contraries here;

The steel wool is used to clean the OUTSUDE of case necks. If you happen to have a setup where you have less than 0.0075" case neck to chamber neck clearance outside the case neck needs to be clean..(.picky me)..to me shiny cases look better and instill confidence.

A good primer picket cleaner tool can be helpful especially if you use the newer Federal 205 Gold Metal primers. They cause a carbon buildup that effects primer seating consistency. (And haven't you ever wondered what would happen to powder ignition consistency if a flake of that black stuff broke loose while seating a primer and covered the flash hole?)

I am a Newbie too, though I have been rifle shooting (or least I called it that) since the late 60s. I was lucky to find a mentor early on who has been a super help. Keep that check book handy, open and topped off. I attended the 3 day Williamsport 1,000 Yard Bench Rest school, which was a super help and am going to take both the Bob White Clinic and start shooting in this years winter league. I am fortunate to live within easy driving distance of Bob White's "The Shooters Corner", where he is always happy to help and has plenty of top quality Benchrest grade stuff for me to add to my growing collection.

I built three rifles before knowing what I was doing and one is perfect and the other two I should sell as Unfired.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob

Last edited:
Back