Gear for a newbie

kujones

Kjones
Any advice/opinion on a good front rest, dies, spotting scope?
Sinclair lists several front rests and I'm looking for something moderately priced with good value. I'm not quite sure what features I should look for.
Same thing on dies. I have loaded for hunting quite a bit with RCBS and Redding but want to upgrade for a 22-250.
How about spotting scopes? Again a moderately priced scope mainly for hunting but also range use.

I'm looking at getting the Caldwell Rock BR rest. It is very moderatly priced at about $160. A guy was using one at my local club in our last match and said it worked fine. You could contact Bob White at the Shooters Corner also, he has some some decent used ones.

KU,
Before someone can answer your question, it's helpful to know what type of "shooting" you are planning on doing. You listed a 22-250, but I am not sure if that is ever used in benchrest. I shoot short range benchrest, and the 2 popular calibers right now are 6ppc and 30br.

As far as a front rest, it also depends on what type of shooting you are doing. I personally use a Caldwell base, but I had a custom sindage top made for it. The windage top allows for me smoothly move left and right in order to change my point of aim.

I will send you a OM with a few other tips. I'm sorry you have not had good luck getting your questions answered.

Any advice/opinion on a good front rest, dies, spotting scope?
Sinclair lists several front rests and I'm looking for something moderately priced with good value. I'm not quite sure what features I should look for.
Same thing on dies. I have loaded for hunting quite a bit with RCBS and Redding but want to upgrade for a 22-250.
How about spotting scopes? Again a moderately priced scope mainly for hunting but also range use.

Front Rest : The best inexpensive front rest is the Hart , sold through several vendors or directly from http://www.rwhart.com/
as to features the rear leg is used for elevation adjustment and many people replace the OEM rear screw with a speedscrew for rapid up and down movement but this is not essential. Then for windage adjustment a windage top can be added but this is also not a necessity but very handy

Dies: Redding dies are fine, probably RCBS also, for BR most use a sizer die that has an interchangeable neck bushing to adjust neck tension. A Wilson style straight line seater is typically used for a bullet seater die. In a Factory 22-250 chamber the difference in accuraccy between the dies you are now using and BR style dies may be negligible. As Previously stated 22-250 is not a popular BR cartridge these days.

Spotting Scope: There are many good spotting scopes for $200 or so for short range BR on most days. I like the Bushnell Spacemaster of course mine is 20 years old so I cannot really speak to the current production. On a bad day with a 22 at 300yd or longer it can be hard to see the bullet holes even with a $2800 Swarovski.

Back