Fore arm rule for IBS

As pertaining to heavy varmint, light varmint and sporter NBRSA states "The stock should have a flat or convex forearm not more than 3 inches wide" and IBS "with a stock having a flat or convex forearm and total stock width not more than 3"".

Last edited:
Rule book interpentation

So when the rule book states "The stock should have a flat or convex forearm not more than 3 inches wide" and IBS "with a stock having a flat or convex forearm and total stock width not more than 3"", that means the Catamaran design of the Whidden plate is not legal? I thought I remembered seeing a couple of fiberglass BR stocks at matches with similar shallow rails on the edge of the bottom of the stock.

Thanks, tim

Tim

Those stocks might have been intended for Unlimited Rifle Competition, where there are no rules governing the forearm.

If you lay a straight edge on the bottom of the forearm, and it shows any concave, it is not legal for Sporter, LV, or HV.

That being said, I have been shooting Benchrest for sometime now, and I have never seen this checked. As long as it is "visually" correct, people just don't seem to care. For that matter, now many have actually checked the stock you are shooting now.

In fact, the only two things I have ever seen checked at a Match were the forearm width, and the weight of the Rifle.......jackie

Last edited:
convex in or convex out

Jackie and Dickie
Which is it in or out it coud be either way, talking about the stock rule in NBRSA and IBS.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

There is no such thing as convex in or convex out.

The opposite of convex is concave. A concave foreend is illegal because it would constitute "guiding means" whereas a convex stock is legal (rounded on the bottom).

If you lay a straight edge on a foreend it cannot show any concave. It must be either flat or convex.:cool:

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ray for the Info

I think you know what I was getting at I had the same impression you had. I used the wrong term. If I remember my geometry/calculus I wouldn't call things concave in. I forgot.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Back