For the motor heads

When we were in about 8th-9th grade we had no money...... typical farmboys in the Midwest.

My buddy Jesse inherited and old 35HP Merc from his Grandpa. He had/we had no boat to put it on.... but they had sheets of plywood and styrofoam sheets layed up around the barn. He made a hydroplane out of a sheet of plywood and that thing would get right up til just the prop was in the water.

Later days after the motor got swamped though is when the hydroplane came into it's own. We lived just down the road from the hottest whitewater rafting river in central MN...... icemelt on the Kettle River resulted in some spectacular rides. One day his brother took the hydroplane out to make a run through "Blueberry Slide" a long curving series of boomers like 10-12ft tall washboards about a hundred yards long then tapering off to shorter, shallower surges and down around the corner into Hell's Gates and The Dragon's Tooth. He launched and paddled the thing out like a surfboard (no motor) and entered into the slide on perfect point........ hit the first roller and the stupid hydroplane body, instead of surfing the wave just stayed flat as a sidewinder and bored right through! He popped out the other side cursing and sputtering and started working out how to stay on the board and live. Forward, backward, no matter how he rocked the thing it reacted sluggish and he worried he'd flip. He ended up walking the deck back and forth, basically standing up which forced the board down into the water and he just steered it along by flapping his hands as he gulped and gurgled his way through wall after wall of water. As the slide gentled out he rode serenely out the bottom, still flapping for balance and down around the corner where he jumped off and drug 'er in..... he came into the shop later and told me the hydroplane idea was a bust.

And that would've been the end of it except for The Miracle......

Springtime in MN is a fickle lady. We'd had a warm Chinook which made for murderous whitewater but the weather turned bitter, rainy and spitting more snow..... Yet folks were flocking down to the park day after day. The park was busy and folks stayed long..... it seems some very reputable witnesses had been down there on the bank that last nice day

And saw Jesus..........

Al

I take it you like Garrison Keilor

Mort

Actually, that was my Pat McManus, but yeahh.... I grew up listening to WCCO, my bro-in-law has piped on the show aa few times. I collect Prairie Home companion skits.

I'm rately confused by people but Keillor confuses me. He truly "gets it" and still chooses to sell his soul, and sell out his country, for the money. A sad, disturbed genius our Garry...... and he knows it!

freaky, to me

Back