Flutes on a bolt!

N

NesikaChad

I finally got to use my new tool yesterday! Woo Hoo.

Here's a L/H Remmy gittin some wrinkles. This cutter works pretty dern good! (it better for what the dern thing cost) If you notice in the first photo the profile of the flute is off a little bit. The entry into the stock doesn't quite match the profile of the tool. I had to kink my Z axis numbers a bit to get it right. (thank goodness for multiple passes!) I'm rather pleased with the way it came out.

Have a great day all.

C

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good!
Is it for looks, weight reduction or does it make Remingtons easier to operate.
I suppose you can flute again in the other direction and get a diamond flute?
You do good work,Chad, I always look forward to your posts. Thanks for showing off again!!

Chad,
Nice flutes. What I can't stop wondering about are the regular lines of dots that look like the trajectories of droplets thrown from the cutter. Was this a long exposure? Could be the 60Hz lights created the timed exposure effect.

Cheers,
Keith

No flash, long exposure. I like to fiddle with this camera a bit sometimes. I'm no Ansel Adams that's for sure!

Looks good!
Is it for looks, weight reduction or does it make Remingtons easier to operate.
I suppose you can flute again in the other direction and get a diamond flute?
You do good work,Chad, I always look forward to your posts. Thanks for showing off again!!

Fluting is nothing more than putting nice rims on a car. It's just cosmetics IMO. I did however have to swiss cheese an action/bolt on a silhouette pistol once in order for it to make weight. The whole argument about having a place for funk to go is I guess a valid point, but I think it mostly comes down to dressing things up a bit. It's something the cst wanted so I gave it hell. (finally had an excuse to use this tool for the purpose I bought it for originally too!)

and the charge for this service???

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Lookls good mate..
Judging by the light chatter in the flutes, i think a shorter tool length might be in order?

Cheers
Leeroy

Very nice Chad, a couple of questions did ou use a tripod when taking the photos (noticed a blurring in a coupl of photos) where did you get the cutter and was this done manually or by cnc?.......Ian

Ian,

I just lean against the machine to hold the camera. A tripod would certainly help but I tend to just grab the camera when I see something kinda interesting. The tool is manufactured by a company called "HORN Tool." I use a CNC equipped with a 4th axis.

Thanks.

C

Chad I didn't realise where you were if I had know I could've stopped in for a visit when I was in Sturgis in May......What is the cost of the tool?......Ian

Bummer! Would have been nice to see some of ya'll.

Will be moving soon. New building is very close. Out in Sturgis's Industrial park very soon!

Back