Flat base bullets a disadvantage @ 300yds?

F

fatelvis111

I just started shooting F-class midrange with the only scoped accurate rifle I own, a 222 Rem model 700. I'm trying to work up it's magic load to compete with, and being that it has a 1:14 twist, I'm limiting my bullets to 52 grains, and most are FB bullets. My question is: at 300 yds does a boat tail pose any advantages, or is this still within the FB bullet's turf? Thanks!

Depends how much it blows where you shoot at. In theory, the 52 FB should still be able to chew up the X-ring @ 300yds. In practice... if you miss a wind call by even a little, its not gonna be pretty. The good news is that many 300yd ranges are pretty well protected. Go out and give it a try!

I have a home range (200 yds) and always wait for dead calm to test my Sinclair built Remington 222 with grouping around 3/8 to 1/2 @ 200, but every time I bring it to a local small club shoot it really falls apart in the real world conditions so I wind up shooting my 6ppc instead. I have tried flat base and boat tail with a slight advantage with boat tails at 200-300 yds. I have a soft spot of wanting one of my 222's to be able to cut it in real world conditions but I'm about ready to face reality and throw in the towel.

I have a home range (200 yds) and always wait for dead calm to test my Sinclair built Remington 222 with grouping around 3/8 to 1/2 @ 200, but every time I bring it to a local small club shoot it really falls apart in the real world conditions so I wind up shooting my 6ppc instead. I have tried flat base and boat tail with a slight advantage with boat tails at 200-300 yds. I have a soft spot of wanting one of my 222's to be able to cut it in real world conditions but I'm about ready to face reality and throw in the towel.

Even if I doubled the size of your groups in competition, I would be ecstatic! Lol

If you are shooting over flags, the most accurate (precision) load will be better out to 300 yards.
there simply is not enough BC advantage of a BT at the same weight at that short of a distance.

In Disciplines where a true flag set is not allowed, or is not practicle, then in theory the higher BC bullet will have an advantage.

Last edited:
If you are shooting over flags, the most accurate (precision) load will be better out to 300 yards.
there simply is not enough BC advantage of a BT at the same weight at that short of a distance.

In Disciplines where a true flag set is not allowed, or is not practicle, then in theory the higher BC bullet will have an advantage.

I have been seeing the same thing. I have found by using a Labradar that the nose of the bullet (ogive) makes a bigger difference than a BT. Going from a 7 ogive to a 9 ogive in short range BR can shrink an agg by .020" with a 1 mph change in cross wind. The boat tail did about 1/4 as much as the nose of the bullet.

Shooting the most accurate load can shrink an agg by over .1", so like Jackie said, always shoot the most accurate load. If the high BC bullets shoot the best, then by all means, shoot them.

With that said, your not lacking in BC as much as horsepower. A 6mm BR would buck the wind better.

Michael

Last edited:
Flatbase is Fine

I just started shooting F-class midrange with the only scoped accurate rifle I own, a 222 Rem model 700. I'm trying to work up it's magic load to compete with, and being that it has a 1:14 twist, I'm limiting my bullets to 52 grains, and most are FB bullets. My question is: at 300 yds does a boat tail pose any advantages, or is this still within the FB bullet's turf? Thanks!
I shoot matches out to and including 500 yd with a 6PPC and only shoot 68gr flatbase bullets. I have done well with that combination even though 20yrs ago when fiirst showed up at 500 yd matches they told me I might as well go home. Ha HA, I still laugh when I beat those guys. Shoot what the gun likes, I started with FB and have always done well with them.

Yes, "shoot what the gun likes". If you don't know what it likes then shoot what you like....

As a side note, I'm not familiar with anything past 300 yards.

The wind(flags) are your friend...

If you don't have flags, invest in a good set and learn to read them. There are times when bc matters in short range but they are few, to be honest. For starters, the higher bc bullet and/or load has to be as accurate as the other load. If not, the cost will out weigh the benefits most of the time, inside of about 300 yards. This is with flags and reasonable flag reading skills. There's simply not much that is more important to shooting well than reading the wind well.

That said, your 222 is stretching it's legs pretty far at 300 and is a bit beyond it's ideal range. If you're dead set on shooting your 222 at that distance, you simply have to overcome the advantage that the other calibers have on you by out shooting them. This really translates to reading the wind better than they do...by a good bit. If flags are allowed, by all means, get some good ones and practice, practice, practice with them and use them at the matches. If not, then yes, I'd most certainly look into a better caliber for that yardage, that does better in the wind.

I just won a 200 yard match in some really brutal conditions where I did actually switch barrels between 100 and 200 yards. I went to a 6 Grendel 12 twist, shooting 80's at 3,300fps. I completely stunk it up at 100 with my 30 and won the 200. I have no doubt that in those conditions, the better bc did carry me. But, that cartridge shoots exceptionally well. I don't think it leaves much on the table in terms of outright accuracy vs my 30 barrel that has won at least one yardage in 3 of it's 4 prior matches and was a reticle away from tying a record at last year's UBR Nats. It's a real good shooting barrel. The Grendel is close if not just as accurate but with a much better bc. Roughly .450 vs .300 and faster too. I'm starting to like it! Lol!

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! After shooting the 222 all of last year,(and using Sierra's 53 FB match bullet), it did manage to help me earn a mid-Expert ranking, but I'm rather sure that between using the Harris bipod as a front rest and getting tossed around a bit in the wind, I left quite a few points on the table. In fact, the guys working the pits would joke around by asking if I was shooting a pellet gun or something, judging by the bullet crack above their heads and the impact in the sand. Lol Because of this I bought a new RPR in 6mm Creedmore and am using a Sinclair F-class bipod this year. Matches start May 2 at my range. I do however have plenty of loaded match ammo for my 222 loaded, and it is standing by, just in case I need an alternate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat base bullets

I've used flat based bullets for years. Mostly because of cost. If you have a good load go for it. I've even used some flat based based bullets out to the 1000 yard line. You just dont have the really high BC of the boattails.

Back