FL PPC die "matching"

mshelton

I'm new to this so please pardon what may seem like an elementary question.

How does one determine if their die matches the chamber on a particular gun?

I've heard from smiths and such to try a few Redding dies to find which one matches the chamber the best but I'm curious how does one check?

Your best bet in this scenario is to send several fired cases to the Harrell's. They will send you a die based on the dimensions of the fired cases. If you feel you need a bit more or less sizing after using it, they'll work with you for swapping to another size.

The Harrell's 'die program' has made life a lot easier for a lot of people. :cool:

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?

Some time ago - - -

there was a discussion on here about this subject. It eventually lead to some folks having the insice of their dies Chrome plated. Are there folks who actually do that?

Another question is, how many people have a Die Reamer ground at the same time thay have their Chamber Reamed ground? Wouldn't it make sense to have a matching set of reamers of one's ownthat matched their chamber exactly, then have the die Chrome Plated inside?

Pete

This all can get a little expensive, and may be unnecessary. If for some reason one is not going the Harrell route ( by far the easiest, and least expensive) one can simply obtain some fired cases, measure, size, and remeasure (to determine that they are in fact being sized) and order a reamer such that the clearances to the sized case are what is desired. Since brass that has been fired and FL sized many times has more spring back, it is better to use that kind of brass for this exercise. I have done this a half dozen times, and the results have been excellent in all cases, much cheaper than ordering a die reamer, and having a custom die reamed and heat treated. In the case of the usual one piece FL dies, a tight neck chamber, that requires turning necks, is required, due to the IDs of the neck part of the dies. I ordered a reamer for a friend's .223 this way, from cases sized by a RCBS one piece FL die. The cases and ammunition are very straight, and we got the neck tension right. The rifle is amazingly accurate.

This all can get a little expensive, and may be unnecessary. If for some reason one is not going the Harrell route ( by far the easiest, and least expensive) one can simply obtain some fired cases, measure, size, and remeasure (to determine that they are in fact being sized) and order a reamer such that the clearances to the sized case are what is desired. Since brass that has been fired and FL sized many times has more spring back, it is better to use that kind of brass for this exercise. I have done this a half dozen times, and the results have been excellent in all cases, much cheaper than ordering a die reamer, and having a custom die reamed and heat treated. In the case of the usual one piece FL dies, a tight neck chamber, that requires turning necks, is required, due to the IDs of the neck part of the dies. I ordered a reamer for a friend's .223 this way, from cases sized by a RCBS one piece FL die. The cases and ammunition are very straight, and we got the neck tension right. The rifle is amazingly accurate.

I went the Harrell route a couple of years ago with a new 30BR chamber. After not may cycles of the brass I had a click, big time. This lead me to believe a smaller die up front would be a better situation. I believe mine is a #2and I believe if it were a #3 I would not have a click.

I solved the problem with a 308 Small Base die I have but one should never have to use two dies to re-size cases, IMHO. This is why my thinking went to the Die Reamer. In for a Penny, in for a Pound I believe.

How does one determine if their die matches the chamber on a particular gun?
If the die is not sizing the case enough in the shoulder/body juncture or nearer the web, you will have problems either while trying to close your bolt or difficulty with extraction after firing. That is how one can determine if their die matches the chamber when the chamber is smaller than the die or relatively so. If the chamber is larger by too much, you will find it will take some muscle to work the lever on the press while trying to resize and you will more than like have to trim the length of the brass more often. Hope this helps. Randy J.

Well,
I did have Kiff build a sizing reamer to my specs based on my chamber reamer. What worked best for me was .002 under at the shoulder ID and .003 under at the base. I will have my next one Melonited. I don't think I would like chrome as you would need a copper wash first and then the chrome. I think holding tolerance would be tough. Melonite does not change the dimension, it just makes it harder than a preacher's blank.
Butch

Well,
I did have Kiff build a sizing reamer to my specs based on my chamber reamer. What worked best for me was .002 under at the shoulder ID and .003 under at the base. I will have my next one Melonited. I don't think I would like chrome as you would need a copper wash first and then the chrome. I think holding tolerance would be tough. Melonite does not change the dimension, it just makes it harder than a preacher's blank.
Butch

These are the sizing numbers I've used 6 or 7 times with good results. Of course mine have been built using Newlon blanks not preacher's blanks.

Quite a while back, I got lucky and ended up with a Harrell Vari-base die (no longer made), with various base inserts. It works well, producing very straight brass, more so since I got a carbide bushing...big difference.

Take a fired case that is tight in the chamber. Using a shoulder gauge measure the length. Take your FLR die and set it up until it bumps back the shoulder .001 -.0005. Try that case in the gun with the firing pin removed. If it is snug but not tight your die is matched to your chamber. If you have to bump the case back .005" or more to get to this snug stage the die is probably not sizing the base enough.

Boyd,
I hope you like yours better than mine. No amount of work on it would keep it from scratching the base of the brass. It went into the sh!t can.
Butch

Butch
Is Melonite applied to the inside of the die or the hole die? Have you ever treated a barrel chamber?
thanks Max

Butch
What are the results does it release stress or make it stiffer. Thanks Max

Has nothing to do with either. It has no effect on how the barrel shoots. It is basically a case hardening. It hardens the surface of the metal. The barrels just last a whole lot longer.
Butch

Back