First try at F-class

J

jaybic

Hello all,

I am going to try my first F-class match and I am a bit lost here. I am not sure what equipment to use so I am going to list what I have and let the voices of experience tell me what to use. Here is what I have available:

Rifles:
1. Trued rem 700 in .308 w/Krieger 26inch 1/10 twist barrel(very few rounds thru this) and in H.S. Precision stock(also have boyds JRS thumbhole stock if that would be better but will have to have it bedded)

Seems to shoot both 155gr VLDs and 168gr SMKs very well with Varget

2. Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 22.250 shooting 50gr Vmax w/Varget(also shoots extremely well) in Accustock. Twist is 1/12 I believe

3. DPMS .223 with Douglas barrel and JP trigger and 1/10 twist. Shoots 50gr Vmax and 69gr Smks very well.

Scopes
1. Leupy VX 3 w/varmint hunter reticle 4.5x14 w/ 30mm tube
2. Leupy VX 2 w/ Long range duplex varmint reticle and stoney point target turret
3. Leupy vx 3 standard duplex in 3.5x10 w/ target turrets
4. Springfield armory 4x14 with reticle holdovers out to 700yards(.223 version with 1inch tube)
5.Leupy vx 2 standard duplex in 3x9 w/ target turrets

Bipods:
Harris bipids bench height and field height
Versa-pod

Spot scope:
Leupold green ring sequoia 15x45x60

I am not sure what other equipment I may need but hopefully I will have time to get it all in order for the first match which I may just go watch and learn but I am ready to jump right in. The longest range I have to practice at is 300 yards but I am currently looking for another spot(unused farmers field...ect..ect to practice farther out at.

The closest official range to me is Northstar in Redwing, MN and they go out to 600 yards which is where I want to start. They do hold official matches there and I am very much looking forward to trying my hand at this for summer fun and to improve my field shooting for predator hunting and I was told that F-class was probably the best discipline to start.

Any and all advice, tips or hints are very much appreciated. Thank you all so much for your time.:)

Jamie

FClass has two divisions: F/TR which is restricted to 223 (5.56 NATO) and 308Win (7.62 NATO) and has a weight limit of 18 lbs and F/Open which allows anything under a 0.35 bullet.

See the rules at http://usfclass.com/rules.aspx

Also check to see the range of the matches at your local FClass range. 800-1000 is tough with a 223 at 1000 yds.

These considerations must be taken into account before choosing your rifle/scope.

Luck, Tim

First check the Tournament Program, you may be shooting a 300, 500, 600 yard Mid Range or a straight 3X600 yard, you'll need to know how many rounds for Record and what the sighters will be.
As far as your list of equipment I'd vote for the .308 with the 4.5-14 VX3 30mm which should work well with either the 155 or 168gr bullets out to 600, the 155's would work for you out to 1K but I use 175's. The Harris style pi obd and spotting scope should also get you started, I still use a harris with Pod Paws and a Pod Loc. Don't forget to bring:
Chamber flag
Ear protection
Eye protection
Shooting Mat
Shooting jacket if you have one ( I can't seem to give it up)
Rain gear
Clip board
Pens and pencils
Notebook
Ammo + some extra and your known ballistic chart for your rounds and your come ups.
A few tools for your rifle, allen wrenches, screw driver, cleaning rod and tip, patches
Rear bag and flat boards to help with raising the rear if need be (check rules for size)
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf
Down load and read all these and they are all needed, not just Section 22.
Snack food and some thing to drink that can be had between Relays or while scoring
NRA Membership card
Exact cash for entry fee (you have no idea how much that helps)

I'm sure I left off some thing.....

Have a smile on your face and enjoy, don't be affraid to ask questions or to let them know your a new guy who could use a mentor.

Good luck,

Back