First post, help me with powder

T

tnek

I am a recent lurker, first time poster. This seems to be the BEST site to find the info/advice I seek.
To lay the groundwork Im a 3 gun/uspsa shooter mostly BUT I wanted to stick my toe in somewhat to the world of benchrest shooting. If not as a competition just for myself at the range.
Anyway I just bought a Savage 300WSM with accutrigger and am waiting for the Bushnell 4200 to show. (and a few good weather days) I know its not a custom rifle with a Kreiger barrel like a Compass Lake AR I had at one time(Frank White is the bomb) but its a good entry level gun I feel for fun. I have several different types of ammo in mostly 180 gr from Federal to Blackhills Accutip and 165 gr Federal loaded with Nosler BT, Barnes. I know I need to find which one shoots best from my gun but I am pretty sure I am going to end up reloading. I wont convert my 650 from 45 and have a Redding Big Boss II and dies on my wish list at midway.
Anyway cut to the chase is if I reload I would like to avoid initally having several powders on the shelf so from what I see its come to 2 powder choices maybe. RL17 or IMR4350. So for a non competitor looking for the best powder for just one cal whats everyones thoughts, and I welcome all thoughts.

And I thought it was a pain in the ass years ago to finally settle on Clays for 45 for once and all.
Thanks for any and all input and this place is to benchrest what Enos is to USPSA,,, the best.

Hi Kent,

Brian is a pretty darn good shooter but I live in Jarrett country. :)

Good luck on the rifle, I have the same one. I've never reloaded for it. I gave it to my neighbor and he's keeping it. He has retired everything else he hunted with in the past.

Adrian

Powder

IMR 4350 has been my choice for my 300 WBY for years. Very versatile and consistent.

Back