Firing solution tools, range questions, etc.

S

Snappo

I am making a range on my farm and had a few questions that hopefully folks can help with:

1) Does anyone know of a handheld device that can give me my temperature and humidity for doing firing solutions?
2) Does anyone have a template (Microsoft Word or PDF) for firing solutions? I am going to make a notebook to keep down at my range.
3) I am cutting in my 100 through 1,000 yard range and am making a shooting platform. Does anyone have any plans for one that they can share? I am doing the posts with 6"x6" pressure treated 12 feet long, and was thinking of sinking them into the ground 6 feet deep then making a ground level platform and a 6' tall platform right over that with stairs on the side. I need to make this platform because the ground is not perfectly flat and I noticed I was having a hard time seeing the marker barrels I put down while I was bush hogging.
4) For sand bags, is there somewhere I can order them in burlap to fill with play sand, and how do you close them? Do you stitch them closed somehow?
5) When I make my tables, should I bolt my Lead Sled to the table or just use those BB bags that came with it?

I am sure I will have a ton of other questions. ;-)

Here is the start: I put maple syrup barrels at 100 and 200 just to see how hard it was to see them. You can see that it's hard to see the 200 yard, which is why I am making a platform. The trees are at 300 or so. I will cut those down, and then the field behind goes to about 750 before I have to cut down a few more trees to get to the next clearing for 1,000.
20140814_172201-XL.jpg

Here is the tree problem at almost 300. I think I will have to chainsaw about 4 trees. Not a big deal - I have a new chainsaw. From there it's smooth sailing to 750.
20140814_172306-XL.jpg

first off where do you live and can I come there to shoot with you..........you have some pretty GOOD problems. temperature and humidity sensors are all over the web try Oregon Scientific THGR122NX Wireless Temperature and Humidity Sensor

Bill

sorry about the yellow type

Oregon Scientific THGR122NX Wireless Temperature and Humidity Sensor

first off where do you live and can I come there to shoot with you..........you have some pretty GOOD problems. temperature and humidity sensors are all over the web try Oregon Scientific THGR122NX Wireless Temperature and Humidity Sensor

Bill

I bought the top of a mountain about 20 minutes from the Remington plant in Ilion. God's country up here. More venison, turkey, and pheasant than you could eat in a lifetime, great soil for growing (and my land came with about 100 apple trees), and of course the distance I need for my shooting range. ;-)

I agree with the kestrel 4000- very nice unit. I use that along with horus vision software on a palm handheld computer and a vectronix terrapin to bring it all together. I have ranged 2300yds at the same spot numerous times over a couple years- its always exact. As far as the palm, be sure to buy the complete unit. Dont try to skimp by buying a cheaper palm they say may work. I have a few for sale if you wanna go that route. The unit from them is tested and actually works before they ship it. Evidently palm has a few hundred operating systems and none seem to work. I also have the horus vision watch sold by 5:11 tactical that works equally as well once you set it up and get used to it. All of this together will give you a firing solution thats close enuf to hit a steel at any yardage 99% of the time. I can even let novice shooters make first shot hits at 1500yds right off the bat.

pour the benches and a slab out of concrete....... from a truck, think YARDS not bags.

Take the lead sled fishing with you next time you go, wire a bunch of railroad spikes to it and chuck it overboard for use as an anchor.

When you leave, cut the rope.

The crappies will use it.

better

al

How are you going to shoot, in NY ? It won't be long before every gun and round of ammo will be outlawed! The NY safe act is just the beginning, next year they will add more, and eventually they will come pick up your guns! Havn't you heard most of the gun manufactures are bailing out of NY!

As Al Said

Think in terms of a concrete truck load.
Well first you need the 12' x 16' 8" slab foundation for the shooting building you will put on the slab.
Get those paper tubes to sink into the holes you drill for the 4 bases you need to install. (for friends)
You can pour tops from the forms you build.
Don't for get to put in the appropriate underground services before you make the big pour.
Remember you'll need a heat source and an a air conditioner and at lease 200amp service.
Start looking for the appropriate windows you will want to install. :)
Centerfire

Think in terms of a concrete truck load.
Well first you need the 12' x 16' 8" slab foundation for the shooting building you will put on the slab.
Get those paper tubes to sink into the holes you drill for the 4 bases you need to install. (for friends)
You can pour tops from the forms you build.
Don't for get to put in the appropriate underground services before you make the big pour.
Remember you'll need a heat source and an a air conditioner and at lease 200amp service.
Start looking for the appropriate windows you will want to install. :)
Centerfire

Would not 4 inches be enough?

The estimate from the concrete company was enough to give me a heart attack. I'm just building it with my buddy. We have the poles in now, are cutting the scrub out to 1,000 and will hopefully make lots of progress next week when I get back from California.

20140821_150950-XL.jpg

20140821_152120-XL.jpg

20140821_152115-XL.jpg

20140821_161218-XL.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase, and on your construction project. I do wish you the best. Home ranges are Da' Bomb.

al

Both floors (upper, lower) are done. We are presently pondering the stairs and discussing other things to do to make sure there is no movement on the second floor. At that point the extra wood gets cut off the top and the final railing goes in on both floors (though it would be hard to fall off the first floor and get hurt). Also, build the benches, put down astroturf for the prone half, make some corn cob filled burlap bags, etc.

20140905_191148-XL.jpg

20140905_191427-XL.jpg

20140905_191306-XL.jpg

Both floors (upper, lower) are done. We are presently pondering the stairs and discussing other things to do to make sure there is no movement on the second floor. At that point the extra wood gets cut off the top and the final railing goes in on both floors (though it would be hard to fall off the first floor and get hurt). Also, build the benches, put down astroturf for the prone half, make some corn cob filled burlap bags, etc.

20140905_191148-XL.jpg

20140905_191427-XL.jpg

20140905_191306-XL.jpg

Next up is the stairs, which I hope happens next weekend. This weekend it won't stop raining, though I augered the holes for the stairs. Then it's all finishing touches, cutting trees, etc.

Stairs are in for both floors, picnic tables are built and next up is putting some safety banisters around everything. I cut 100, 200, 300, and 400, and my laser seems to feel first tree line is 600. I might not cut into my woods just to make 750 or 1,000 since I think 600 yards is enough to have lots of fun.

20141003_162404-L.jpg

20141003_162442-L.jpg

20141003_162452-L.jpg

20141003_162555-L.jpg

20141003_162945-L.jpg

Back