Fireforming 220 russian to 6ppc!

T

tom mann

I need to fireform some 220 russian cartridges to 6ppc. I have never done this but it seems pretty simple. Pistol powder (how much & best brand), cream of wheat (how much and any other product that works better), tissue or wax to hold it in and just don't get in a hurry because of heating up the barrel.
Is there anything I am missing in doing this? Is there a good book on fireforming brass out there that someone would reccommend?
Thank You in advance,
Tom Mann

Try doing a search on the subject.
Its been talked to death.
I need to fireform some 220 russian cartridges to 6ppc. I have never done this but it seems pretty simple. Pistol powder (how much & best brand), cream of wheat (how much and any other product that works better), tissue or wax to hold it in and just don't get in a hurry because of heating up the barrel.
Is there anything I am missing in doing this? Is there a good book on fireforming brass out there that someone would reccommend?
Thank You in advance,
Tom Mann

This is what I do, probably are better procedures. I expand the neck, turm neck to proper thickness, run through a sizing die, trim case length to about 1.505 or so, then it will fit in the chamber without a lot of stress on the bolt handle when closing. Put in the proper amount of your favorite powder for that cartridge, stuff a bullet in it seated long to hold the case back against the bolt and fire away. I am sure there are many other methods available, this is just what I do with mine. I would not recommend a powder hotter than VV133, or LT-32. Or you could just buy them from Ron Hoehn already formed

Last edited:
Just use a bullet. Put in a load of 322 and a 62-68gr bullet long and shoot it. Fireforming enough cases for a br match dont wear a barrel out thats a keyboard competitor myth

Thank You in advance,
Tom Mann

You can use pistol powder, BUT if you ever put a bullet in the case by mistake, you could die.
Do what Dusty said.
Bill Greene

Thank You in advance,
Tom Mann

Call Ron Hoehn.
http://www.benchrest.com/hoehn/html/ammo___brass.html
And buy this. Sinclair has all the tools needed. Ron makes it real easy......
http://www.sinclairintl.com/books-v...rifle-accuracy-by-mike-ratigan-prod35822.aspx

I can't find anything wrong with simply loading them up and shooting them...as Dan said. Sure, you can do it differently but why bother.

One more thing...lightly oil the cases before you fireform. This helps them expand to fit the chamber. I used to fireform dry and would get stretch marks on the cases. Not a problem when I very lightly oil the cases first.
Steve

Steve, I noticed that this year.
My gunsmith's advice was Imperial die wax. Used it for several yrs.
2 matches ago, I forgot to bring it. But, I did bring some of the bolt lube that Steve Theye sells. Wow. What difference!
Did not need my glasses to see a difference. After 20 targets. I had the next set of brass ready to go.

Formed?

This is what I do, probably are better procedures. I expand the neck, turm neck to proper thickness, run through a sizing die, trim case length to about 1.505 or so, then it will fit in the chamber without a lot of stress on the bolt handle when closing. Put in the proper amount of your favorite powder for that cartridge, stuff a bullet in it seated long to hold the case back against the bolt and fire away. I am sure there are many other methods available, this is just what I do with mine. I would not recommend a powder hotter than VV133, or LT-32. Or you could just buy them from Ron Hoehn already formed

Does Ron really sell formed brass? I think he sells "prepped" brass as you described above.

One more thing...lightly oil the cases before you fireform. This helps them expand to fit the chamber. I used to fireform dry and would get stretch marks on the cases. Not a problem when I very lightly oil the cases first.
Steve

I think I know why ...but explain the science behind this, "lightly oil the cases before you fireform. This helps them expand to fit the chamber".

Albeit chemical or mechanical...

Pat

I think I know why ...but explain the science behind this, "lightly oil the cases before you fireform. This helps them expand to fit the chamber".

Albeit chemical or mechanical...

Pat

The lube simply keeps the brass from sticking to the chamber walls, thereby allowing the case head to square up with the bolt face. In my experience, the brass usually sticks to the chamber if the surface finish of the chamber is rough. If the chamber is smooth, there won't be much noticeable difference between lubed or dry brass when fireforming.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

brassy

I think Ron's 6PPC brass is fireformed and neck turned to your specs. He does not uniform the primer pockets or deburr the flash holes. People who have used his prepped brass tell me they are excellent. Give him a call if you need any additional info. Tim

I think Ron's 6PPC brass is fireformed and neck turned to your specs. He does not uniform the primer pockets or deburr the flash holes. People who have used his prepped brass tell me they are excellent. Give him a call if you need any additional info. Tim

Ron's advertisement says "6PPC: totally prepared", I've used his brass before and have been very well pleased. Can't remember if the primer pocket was worked on or not, that is a minor detail.;)

Dan Honert

Back