Fiberglass stock inlet & Finish

K

Kodzoff

I'm currently inletting a Robertson composite prone stock. It is similar in shape and composition to the McMillian fiberglass stocks. For proper inletting, the cut for the rearward bolt clearance, (in both the stock and the cheek piece) and the loading port recess and the bolt release recess all cut through the gel coat and fiberglass cloth into the hard foam core below. What do others use to finish this exposed hard foam core? How do you match these areas to the rest of the stock which is finished with gel coat over the fiberglass cloth.

When Speedy was selling the Robertson stocks, he would send a film canister with a small amount of pigment from Robertson (I assume). You used a clear two part epoxy, added a very small amount of the pigment to the epoxy, and used it to color those cut areas. It isn't too hard to do.

Stock

Go down to your local hobby shop and match the color in paint, it comes in tiny bottles. If you make the comb detachable you won't have to worry about the comb.

bjm

I've bought four of Robertson's prone stocks for my own use, and Wayne's got it right - Ian & Kelly send out a plastic 35mm film cannister with pigment to match the stock's gel coat color. I use a 5 min. clear epoxy and mix in a very small amount of the pigment, then spread it on the area to be covered. Works best in a warmer enviroment - I have much better luck with the mixed epoxy flowing to a smooth cover layer when room temps are above 80*F.

Last edited:
Pigment

You should have received pigment with the stock as the guys have mentioned. If you did not and you bought it direct let me know by email who you are and we will get it to you. If you bought it from someone else let me know the details so we can figure out the correct colour and we will get it off to you.

Ian

Back