FF for 30BR

shinny

Shinny
Sometime last year I read a post about FF for a 30BR using 6mm bullets to blow the case out, rather than expanding the necks and turning pre FF w/30 cal bullets.

However, for the life of me, I can't find it again.:confused:

If anyone knows of this post I would apprecaite some help finding it again.

Thanx

Shinny

Shinny, I don't think there is much to it, you're just using the pressure to blow out the neck. Make sure your brass has a snug feel closing the bolt and use a moderate load, nothing heavy, adjust accordingly as you go. But don't have a high expectation of the results, it may not agg better than a 2 or 3.......

There are several that fireform that way for both 30 and 6ppc.
Jackie Schmidt being one. You can try using the advanced search for that.

I just hate to admit that I tried this method when I first got my 30BR. It formed the cases just fine, no problem there. The problem was hearing that 6MM bullet bouncing down my 30BR barrel just gave me the shivers. Accuracy wise Wayne Shaw got it just right mine did shoot and agg 2 or 3 --- Feet.

The best way "I" found to form the 30BR cases was with the K&M expandiron die. One pass through the die expands the necks, then turn the necks to fit, I then run them through a 30BR full length die just to straighten every thing out shot them with my standered load. Accuracy wise these shoot pretty well.

Roland

Several of us have followed Jackie's lead.
We took an old 6mm barrel and chambered it with a 6BR reamer. Then we took a chucking reamer and reamed the neck out to 30 cal deep enough that the neck can fire form to 30 cal but the bullet is still in the 6mm barrel. I think I used a .332 chucking reamer. When you form this way, the necks turn out longer than when using an expander. We chamber with a reamer having the correspondingly longer neck. We still use "0" freebore. I think Kiff has a 30 Jackie Schmidt reamer on file.

Joe

Ten grains bullseye finish filling case with cream of wheat and tamp an eraser size ball toilet paper tight with small pistol primer works well.

I just fill it to the neck with bullseye and use a sheet of wax pressed on the top to seal.
You can also do it in the house if you put the barrel into a roll of insulation.

Shinny, you're asking this just to make me nuts, because I too just read it, and can't remember where. LOL
I'll call when/if I remember.

Back