Federal Primers are changing formula?

Holy cow can that author take a paragraph's worth of information and spin it into a wall of literary diarrhea!

TLDR; Federal is going to make a lead-free primer, called "Catalyst", which they developed at the behest of the government, and they're hyping it.

GsT

Holy cow can that author take a paragraph's worth of information and spin it into a wall of literary diarrhea!

TLDR; Federal is going to make a lead-free primer, called "Catalyst", which they developed at the behest of the government, and they're hyping it.

GsT

And it's old news. "PUBLISHED JUN 30, 2018 7:22 PM"!!!

AllI know is with supply issues, guys have been shooting pretty good with about 1/2 dozen different brands these days.

I was not aware that federal was changing all their primers to the new formula. Has anyone seen these new primers and have they affected their loads negatively or positively?
John

I wonder

what these little "thermite grenades" are going to do to barrel steel, especially in the first few inches ahead of the chamber?

I remember what a hard time we had end of the 80's with the first lead free primers. Kinetic energy to make the primer go BANG was almost ... random.

At that time, we were manufacturing totally lead free ammo in 9x19, .38 Spec and .357 Mag to the request of the Police for use in indoor training centers.

I would be surprised that Federal switch today ALL its primers to the lead free type. It's much more expensive to produce.

And apart from machine gun smoke breathing (I doubt lead to be the worse component of the smoke) or ecology bull****************************************************************************************************************************************************************, firing leaded primers in outdoor ranges in fully harmless.

Even nowadays, so approx 40 years after "the beginning", companies like RUAG or S&B still have "leaded" and "lead free" primers.

Back