Federal Premium Ammo powder

E

embh

Any ideas on what powder Federal uses in its .308cal. 168gr and 175gr Premium Ammo cartridges? I am wanting to load my own for the Remington R5milspec I am about to place under my Christmas tree.

Its a powder thats not available to the public (i wish). I called them a while back to ask and after about an hour of getting transfered around i finally had a rep tell me it is a powder thats not marketed to the general public. He couldn't even tell me who made it for them.

Why not chronograph some of the Federal loads you want to duplicate, then use the popular powders like Varget, 4064, or 4895 etc...and duplicate the velocity...You will likely see accuracy equal to the factory loads...
I highly recommend you use Lapua brass...

Yeah, sure.

Sounds like you got jived. There is no such powder that would not be available to the public. If the powder is so good it creates loads like the Fed. Premium you can bet your favorite rifle it's available to you and I. They just don't want us to know what it is!!

My bet it's a common powder made by DuPont or any of the other brands.
Any body else got an idea?

Rreply to 1351

Thanks for the info. To tell you the truth I've never heard of Varget. Since I have yet to even buy the gun I'll get the Lapua brass instead of the generic stuff.

Thanks again!

To embh

Go to 6mmBR.com website and chose the .308 from the info chart on the left side of the page...there is a huge amount of excellent load data for the 308 Win. cartridge...The varmint barrel models have a 1 in 12 twist which will shoot the 175 grain Sierra MatchKing bullet with oustanding accuracy....go to the Hogdon powder website for a list of powders that will work for the 308 Win....
And for your info...NO one can buy the factory loaded powder off the shelf...I personally was invited to join in a bulk purchase of powder that would be sold in bulk from Winchester, the 500 lbs had a factory designation that had NO equivalent in the reloading manuals...it was sold to a class 111 dealer that had connections, and that burn rate data was approximate...we were told that it was designed for a specific cartridge/bullet combination...

Last edited by a moderator:
it used to be Win 748 in the 168 loads. about 46.0grs to be exact.

factories do not use "canister" powder.

canister powder is what is sold to the public.

you are 100 percent wrong on your statement .

occasionally powder that does not meet a factory requirement is sold to the surplus distributors and its given a aname/number and aprox load data.

no you cannot, as a rule buy the powder used by commercial factories. there are few exceptions, but not many. 4895 in 308.30'06..in mil.

mike in co

This is great advice

Why not chronograph some of the Federal loads you want to duplicate, then use the popular powders like Varget, 4064, or 4895 etc...and duplicate the velocity...You will likely see accuracy equal to the factory loads...
I highly recommend you use Lapua brass...

It's interesting, Federal ammo seems to work very well in most of the factory rifles I have seen use it as opposed to other brands. Saw a guy shooting a 7400 Rem @ the range this fall and the Factory stuff he was shooting was like buckshot, even the Federal was not great. He was doubting his scope.

He then shot some re-loads and shot a Nickel sized 3 shot group @ 100 yds. I was impressed, to say the least. He was satisfied also.

Federal is owned by ATK, also the parent company of Speer, and Alliant powders. I`d suspect Federal might give Alliant a chance at producing their powders, if one of their blends matched Federals needs.
I`ve heard the military uses R15 in the 7.62 in some bullets wgts. It might be a good choice to try matching the factories velocity and accuracy with to start.

factories do not use "canister" powder.

canister powder is what is sold to the public.

you are 100 percent wrong on your statement .

occasionally powder that does not meet a factory requirement is sold to the surplus distributors and its given a aname/number and aprox load data.

no you cannot, as a rule buy the powder used by commercial factories. there are few exceptions, but not many. 4895 in 308.30'06..in mil.

mike in co

Totally agree with you Mike!
In some[VERY few] cases a major brand may use a cannister powder but it is the exception and FAR from the rule.
Can you duplicate factory ballistics; yes, but not as a general rule.
In some infrequent cases you might even beat them a bit but it takes much dedicated testing and then its with your gun and not necessarily valid with others - even the same brand/model.

I built a .308 for a customer and he wanted it like the M-40. Built it on a Remington action and he kept telling me how well it shot. He was shooting Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I told him that it was going to shoot better when I cleaned up his case necks and loaded it with some of Knight's 30 cal. benchrest bullets. He came to Rachel's Glen and shot it and I watched as he shot several groups with 175 grain bullets into ragged one hole groups. He told me the 168's shot better. I turned some case necks and loaded him up some of Brady's bullets...........couldn't do any better.

I don't know what Federal loads in their Gold Medal match but it's great stuff....and factories do use non canister powders that aren't available to the public in most of their stuff.

Back