Favorite Cutting Oil?

H

henrya

Something that you don't have to buy in a 55 gal. drum.

For stainless in particular and misc. steels.

Thankye!

Just plain old sulphur based Rigid oil at your local plumber supply.

LPS #1 Gold. No awful smell, no vision-obscuring black color, and it is effective on just about any material. Available in pint bottles from just about any industrial supply.

-Dave-:)

For Reaming and Threading

We cut thousands of pounds of steel a year on machines that have no coolant systems. We have settled in on Texaco Sultex D.

But for the person who does not need to purchase 55 gallons at a time, I agree with Dennis. It is hard to beat the ole Black Rigid Cutting Oil, the one that is formulated to be used in their pipe threaders.........jackie

Mobile Omega cutting oil is available from MSC by the gallon, does a good job. But Rigid can be had most anywhere.

Can anyone tell me what other oil is comparable to the Mobile Omega. Mobil has discontinued this product. I'd like to use it in a muzzle flush system.

if you use this go to grainger...they have it on clearance....about half price

mike in co

cutting oil

I use Chevron Elite Cut-AM .It is made for stainless steel,and I also use a muzzle flush system with it . It works very well. It comes in a 5 gal. bucket for $50.

Since it seems impossible to get Texaco Transultex H anymore I have started to use the closest thing to it I could find which is Chevron Elite Cut AXH. Chlorinated, high sulfur, high fat and it comes in 5 gal pails. The distributor in Texas that used to break the 55 gal drums of Transultex down to 5 gal pails said he can't seem to get the Transultex anymore and neither can my local dealer. Both said Texaco products in general are hard to get these days.

Last edited:
Cool Tool II. I use it for everything.

It is the best thing on the planet for cleaning a sharpening stone too.

chesterton 388 great cutting/threading fluid
also
chesterton 389 brilliant for chambering?

alan f

If Mobil has indeed discontinued Omega, then their Sigma cutting oil will work in its place. I've used both with good results - the only reason I bought a pail of Omega in the first place was because Mobil's product guide showed it has roughly twice the amount of sulphur content as Sigma. Our local Mobil distributor had a hard time finding a pail of Omega a couple of years ago when I asked for it, but IIRC, they had Sigma in stock.

Mobil seems to have replaced Texaco as the major supplier of industrial oils in this part of the country over the past 30+yrs.

I tried Cool Tool II before switching to the Mobil oils, and got a lot of chatter when reaming chambers - don't know whether it was my technique (these were the first few chambers I'd cut), or ??? But I sure like the finish I get with the Mobil products.

I just looked online on MSC website, they list:

Mfr #: 98546N
Big Book Page 2620

Cutting Fluids Container Size: 1 Gal. Container Type: Jug Package Quantity: 6 Type: Mobilmet® Omega Heavy-Duty Cutting Oil

Item # 60002490

276 items in stock

I just picked up a new pail of Chevron Elite Cut AXH and was told by my dealer that Chevron is discontinuing the Elite Cut line of cutting oils. Chevron shows the recommended replacement for Elite Cut AXH is Chevron Transultex H (same product as Texaco Transultex H just renamed). So in theory Transultex H is still available and the Chevron tech I spoke to didn't have an answer as to why it was so hard to get. Chevron customer service says they package it in 5 gal pails but no pails are available at this time but they do show stock for 55 gal drums.

Tried some old style dark cutting/pipe threading oil and of course it works very well. Its easy to find in small quantities and its available lots of places.

I also gave the LPS #1 Gold a shot and its great. Very smooth finish and not much smoke or odor. I was surprised as I'd tried some similar stuff years ago and it was lousy. Got it from MSC.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Back