Favorite Books

Charles E

curmudgeon
We've done other favorites, songs & movies, so I thought it might be nice to do a thread on books, too.

Among my favorites is Life of Tom Horn, the Lakeside Press edition.

http://www.townsendbooks.com/lakeside.htm

and search for Tom Horn.

Usually the edition doesn't matter so much, but as this is an autobiography, written by Horn while in jail awaiting execution, he just wrote. The editors at the Lakeside Press spent some effort arranging things into chapters that more or less make sense, and footnoting things that Horn misremembered -- for example, someone Horn called a major, who was only a lieutenant at the time; someone Horn believed to have been killed in the Spanish-American War who in fact survived, that sort of thing. There is also a very useful biographical dictionary at the end.

Horn was the translator for Geronimo at a number of "talks" with the "Government" and a close friend of Al Sieber. He also lived with the Apaches for a while, as well as being a scout for the U.S. Army. His description of the Apaches varies considerably from the typical liberal portrayal of them today. He liked them -- well, some of them -- no doubt about it, but his stories give a rather different humanity to the Apache tribes.

Edit: Corrected the spelling of Al Sieber's name -- and if anyone's read a good book about him, I'd be interested in knowing of it.

Last edited:
Al, I'm not so much interested in Horn as in his observations. Here's a quote:

There were many different branches making up the Apache tribe. There were the Tonto Apaches, San Carlos Apaches, White Mountain Apaches, Cibicus, Agua Caliente (or Warm Springs), and last and worst of all were the Chiricahuas. All of these Indians spoke the same language, but were divided according to their dispositions. Thus a bad Tonto would leave the Tontos and go to the Cibicus or the Chiricahuas, and a timid Chiricahua would move to the Tontos, so at the time of which I am writing, you could find a good Indian or a bad Indian by knowing to what tribe he belonged. They all wore their hair different, and for one accustomed to them they could be told apart as far as you could see them.

Dunno if it's true, but quite interesting.

Edit: I knew about Thrapp, didn't know the book was back in print. Thanks.

I've enjoyed other Hunter Thompson books, will give Fear & Loathing a try. Thanks!

Last edited:
"Favorite books"

wow

I gotta' lotta' books!

Howsa'bout favorite authors?

In no particular order here are some of mine....
Robert Ruark
Terry Pratchett
Larry Niven (and co-conspirators)
Louis L'Amour
David Brin
Iain Banks
Vernor and Joan Vinge
Frederick Pohl
Stephen Hunter
Robert A Heinlein
Stephen R Donaldson
Orson Scott Card
Peter F Hamilton
Alan Dean Foster

shucks.... I just gotta' STOP

Unintended Consequences by John Ross

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Shane by Jack Shaefer

The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald

Men at War, Men In Blue, The Corps -- all by W.E.B. Griffin

Hun Favorite Books:
1] P.O. Ackley Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders
2] benchrest Shooting Primer
3] Nosler #3 Reloading manual
4] Just about every other reloading manual
OK well, how to Hunt Birds with Gun Dogs,By Bill Tarrant--Good Read even if you are not dog training--
Wing N Shot by Bob Wehle
Snakefoot, By Bob Wehle
Gun Dog Training Spaniels and Retrievers by Ken Roebuck

Last edited:
In no particular order:

-Life and Adventures of Lewis Wetzel by Cecil Hartley
-Lord Grizzly by Fredrick Manfred
-Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
-No Way Down:Life and Death on K2 by Graham Bowley
-In the Arena by Charlton Heston
-My Grandfathers Son by Clarence Thomas
-The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
-The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Charles: Tom Horn's story has fascinated me for years. Whether he was a murderer, a convient fall guy or just a regular joe just doing what he was hired to do remains largely a matter of perspective. My suspicion was that he was all of those things and more. One of Steve McQueen's best performances was in the movie 'Tom Horn'. A complex man in a simple, brutal time.......

Last edited:
In no particular order:

-Life and Adventures of Lewis Wetzel by Cecil Hartley
-Lord Grizzly by Fredrick Manfred
-Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
-No Way Down:Life and Death on K2 by Graham Bowley
-In the Arena by Charlton Heston
-My Grandfathers Son by Clarence Thomas
-The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
-The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Charles: Tom Horn's story has fascinated me for years. Whether he was a murderer, a convient fall guy or just a regular joe just doing what he was hired to do remains largely a matter of perspective. My suspicion was that he was all of those things and more. One of Steve McQueen's best performances was in the movie 'Tom Horn'. A complex man in a simple, brutal time.......

A conservative in the medical profession...... how's that going for you?

LOL

al

"They Shoot Canoes Don't They". actually the whole series of books , not really a NOVEL/S but a humorous look at a different time and place.

Books and authors---did you mean one or many, Charles??

"They Shoot Canoes Don't They". actually the whole series of books , not really a NOVEL/S but a humorous look at a different time and place.

Roger, thanks for the reminder about the Patrick McManus series. I laughed through them all.

Also the entire Tom Clancy series, Robert Ludlum, Jack Higgins. et. al.

"I haven't understood anything since 1962"-Louis Grizzard

All of the Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour titles,,,

Real world favorites include:

"Trashing the Planet" and "Environmental Overkill" by Dr Dixy Lee Ray.

"Tragedy and Hope"-Carroll Quigley

"Blacklisted by History"-M. Stanton Evans

And finally but certainly not least in importance (to me) "The Last Best Day"-Michael Altizer, a book that is more about
enjoying living and remembering a pleasant past than about how to catch Trout.

Al's list of authors is a good start. Everything by Robert Ruark would be near the top of the list. My hands down favorite since my 20's is "Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien. I've read the entire trilogy at least twelve times and enjoy it just as much today. Matter of fact, when I locate the copies my son has hidden around here, I'll probably start it again soon.

"Shots at Whitetails" by Larry Koller is IMO the best book about whitetail hunting ever written. I buy every copy I run across and give them as gifts.

I extend my heart felt sympathy to those of you who say that textbooks and reloading manuals are your favorite books. You have absolutely no clue what reading for shear pleasure is all about. A very close second to that are books about politics and politicians.....gag. History books OTOH are a joy, American history that is.

Pat McManus is a hoot. Some other favorites from recent years would include Michael Connolly, John Sandford & Robert Crais. Those guys are good.

Rick

Rick

"gift books"

I thought I was the only one who did this!

I keep a box with copies of the following titles;
-'The Old Man And The Boy' Ruark
-'The Deed Of Paksenarrion' Moon
-'The Legacy Of Heorot' Niven/Barnes/Pournelle
-'They Shoot Canoes Don't They?' McManus
-an assortment of Louis L'Amours, John D McDonald, Bill Watterson, Gary Larson, Alistair McLean, Heinlein/Asimov/Brin/Niven/Donaldson/etc classics mainly leftovers from completing my collections which I hand out to non-readers.....

Another one I still have 6-8 copies of, still in the plastic is this one http://www.amazon.com/Border-Wars-U...keywords=border+wars+of+the+upper+ohio+valley simply the single most evocative cover of all time, and a solid read if you're into real American history stuff. For me I started with the Allen W Eckert stuff back in the 70's, this sort of set the tone for me re Americana....

Books and authors---did you mean one or many, Charles??

Jerry, I dunno. Thought it might be nice to have a thread that paralleled songs & movies. But books *are* different, aren't they?

Anything by John McPhee will show you your're interested in things you wouldn't have thought you would be. An entire book on oranges...and you'll love it.

Raymond Chandler when you just don't give a damn.

On and on...

Back