Farley Black Widow action

tiny68

Considering purchasing a used BR rifle that has a newer Black Window action. I don't see a lot of Farleys in the equipment list. Anything special I should know about this action? I tried looking info on Farley's website but I couldn't find an active link. No special threads? Can a BR gunsmith make be a barrel without needing the action like must other BR actions? I have never notice one at the local matches enough to ask a lot of questions on the next bench or loading table.

Thanks for any input, Tim

Hey Tim, if the price is right..... You know... Lefty..?....Jump on it.

cale

Can a BR gunsmith make be a barrel without needing the action like must other BR actions?

I would not go so far as to say most gunsmiths can chamber a barrel for most actions without the action. This is a trait mostly mostly associated with Stolles after Kelbly's changed to CNC equipment. Most Gunsmiths would prefer to have your action in their possession to do their own measurements at least the first time. If not the action at least a properly fitted old barrel is desirable.

Dick

I have a new black widow sitting in my gun case. It is one of the few early ones that were still cast. It's a right bolt, left port, right eject. I have worked the rear detent on the bolt and it is very smooth. I just don't have time to mess with it.

I have heard that sice Farley went back to the cast action body, and the screw in shroud, that the Black Widow is first class.

I know this for a fact. Gene Bukys built a new Rifle on a new Farley, and it is one of the most accurate Rifles I have ever seen. He swears he did absolutly nothing to it but glue it into a stock and screw in a barrel............jackie

Farley

I have 2 Farley's. One in VFS 30 BR and the other converted to a Hunter by Sid Goodling in 30x47. They both shoot better than I can.
Bill Sargent

The new Black Widows are cast and have the Rem (w/o lug) headspace, threads and a 30 degree cone. They are not necessarily setup to just order barrels. Between mine, there is a .0015 headspace difference. They have a screw in firing pin assembly and a unique trigger hanger adjustment that makes setting the firing pin fall a breeze. They come highly polished, firing pin removal tool, set of ring/base combo's, allen wrench to remove ejector and a towel. They seem to be easy to make shoot but there is only one problem....Farley time.

Hovis

The Black Widow have is 18tpi. I had Wilbur post the info because I couldn't get logged on. I didn't want some one to have a barrel fitted and it not be correct.

Allen

Just got off the phone with Farley. The newer Black Widows are a 16TPI. They made less than fifty of the billet (not cast) black widows that had a 18tpi. All future Balck Widows will have a 16tpi

Hovis

Exactly Dick,
Why did you think I posted that a gunsmith should have a thread pitch gage? In his case the gunsmith should definitely have the receiver in hand don't you think?
I think it is safe to assume that he isn't a smith.
Butch

Back