Factory Lapua Ammunition

rkittine

Does anyone know how "Hot" Lapua loads their factory ammo?

The reason I am asking is that Bob White at The Shooter's Corner has a "Barrel Break In Oil", which I understand was some secret formula and then the guy who made it died, but someone has duplicated it (modern technology). The advantage is that you can (supposedly) break in a new competition barrel in 4 rounds. Bob said though that he thought that the Lapua ammo is "Hot" and could be a safety problem shooting the first round in what would be a "Wet" Barrel. I bought factory ammo as well as brass so that once I get some fired cases, I can send them with the reamer print to Whidden and get a set of custom dies, so I am not in a position to load some mild rounds for this purpose.

Thoughts ?

Thanks for reading. Bob

A good barrel doesnt need snake oil to break in. Just go shoot it and enjoy it. Lapua cant mfr loads any hotter than std pressures. Your good handload will be as hot or hotter. They have no idea what kind of broken ruger or h&r youre gonna stick em in so they aint gonna be hot at all

Thanks for the input.

Since the recommendation of my materials and the procedure was suggested by a well known competition shooter who is also a gunsmith / bench rest rifle builder and respected dealer, I took it seriously, but I am going to take the tried and true slow and progressive route with this as it is my first real bench rest rifle.

Bob

The rifle has a Borden action that I ordered from Jim a few months ago. I will certainly talk to him today.

Bob

Talked to Jim, Printed 10 pages off his web site on the subject and modified my order with Sinclair. 5 Shots for his rather than 4.

Bob

Back